Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel while waiting for Green Card

I would like to know if it is possible to travel to Puerto Rico while I am waiting for my Green Card. I will get married soon and need to file the Green Card paperwork as soon as I get married, but I also would like to enjoy my honeymoon in Puerto Rico. The questions is if Puerto Rico is fully considered US territory since you are not allowed to leave the country while the application is in process. Does anybody have some experience?

Thanks in advance

I would like to know if it is possible to travel to Puerto Rico while I am waiting for my Green Card. I will get married soon and need to file the Green Card paperwork as soon as I get married, but I also would like to enjoy my honeymoon in Puerto Rico. The questions is if Puerto Rico is fully considered US territory since you are not allowed to leave the country while the application is in process. Does anybody have some experience?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Extremely interesting question. I too have a friend in PR, but don't know if this would be considered leaving the country to go there. If no one here can answer the question, if you happen to call USCIS to find out, I'd be very appreciative if you could post what they said.

Regards,
      “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheGermanDude:
        ... since you are not allowed to leave the country while the application is in process. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Where that came from?
        While AOS is pending, applicant may travel. However, he/she needs to apply and receive Advance Parole to be readmitted into the USA (this is in general).

Comment

Aneri this is not answering the question. Travel refers to outside the US - you may apply for Advance Parole, but my lawyer advised strongly against it. The question is: Is PR considered outside the US or not.
          “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Comment

Hi..

I hope this link will help a bit.

http://www.prfaa.com/services.asp?id=43

Comment

Because arriving in Puerto Rico from a foreign country is considered arriving in the U.S., persons who are not U.S. citizens, nationals or resident aliens traveling to Puerto Rico from a foreign country should contact the U.S. State Department* about visa and other requirements for entry into the U.S. (www.state.gov/travel/

Comment

If for example you entered the US on a K1 visa, and you marry then honeymoon in PR, as long as you do not land or touch non US land or waters you are ok.

Fly directly if you can, do not visit any islands or soil that belongs to another country then you are legally allowed to go to PR and re-enter with no problems. You will be subject to immigration laws upon leaving PR and re-entering mainland US though.

All you have to show is your K1 visa for example and I-94 to prove that you entered the US legally.

What type of visa do you have? Are you in the US already?
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
                1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kollerkrot:
                  Aneri this is not answering the question. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I understand that wasn't the direct question... but why not to inform TheGermanDude about the rules, so he doesn't miss some other opportunities to travel while waiting for the GC?

Comment

It does depend what visa he is on anyway..for example if he was on a K3 visa and he AOS, he is legally allowed to leave and re-enter the US without problems. He wouldn't even need AP.
                    Maybe he is on another type visa already?
                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
                    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs