Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sponsorship

my wife is a USC,I am an LPR,I read somewhere that my wife can petition for my married daughter who is in Canada under f3 visa for alien relative,should my daughter stay in Canada till the visa is approved (10 years?)or can she come to usa then get the paperwork started?

my wife is a USC,I am an LPR,I read somewhere that my wife can petition for my married daughter who is in Canada under f3 visa for alien relative,should my daughter stay in Canada till the visa is approved (10 years?)or can she come to usa then get the paperwork started?

Comment

Is your daughter also your wife's daughter (legally)? If not, you may have to wait until you get citizenship in order to sponsor her yourself. (I'm not a lawyer.)

Comment

my daughter is my wife's "step" daughter

Comment

You should speak to an attorney to see if your wife adopted your daugher if she could qualify as an immediate relative. If she did, then she could come to the USA while the application was pending, I think.

Comment

Your U.S. citizen spouse can petition for step-child as an immeidate relative immediately if the marriage occurred before step-child reached age 18. Good luck.

Comment

thanks for everyones input,i really appreciate it.If my USC spouse petions for step-child as an immediate relative,would the child be allowed in the usa while the petition is ongoing?

Comment

"No can do" on your wife sponsoring your married daughter. The immigration law defines a "child" as an unmarried person under the age of 21 (a minor) who is:

A stepchild if the marriage creating the steprelationship took place before the child reached the age of 18.

A lawful permanent resident may not petition for a married son or daughter.

After you naturalize you can petition her.
                A U.S. citizen may petition for:
                A child (unmarried and under 21 years of age)
                An unmarried son or daughter ( 21 years of age and older)
                A married son or daughter of any age

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/child.htm
                The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

I assumed the marriage took place before the step-child reached 18. I guess I might have been too quick with that one. If that is the case, step-mom USC can petition for step-child.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation