X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• social security number

Hi all,

I came to the US several years ago on a student visa and never graduated coz of $ problems...while I was legal, I was able to get a social securtiy number (not authorized to work without INS approval) and open bank accounts etc...but didn't get a driver's license. My question is I will probably be getting married to my boyfriend of 5 years next year and I want to know if my ss number will stay the same or will I get a new one since I intend to take his name? Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best,
    Sonia

Hi all,

I came to the US several years ago on a student visa and never graduated coz of $ problems...while I was legal, I was able to get a social securtiy number (not authorized to work without INS approval) and open bank accounts etc...but didn't get a driver's license. My question is I will probably be getting married to my boyfriend of 5 years next year and I want to know if my ss number will stay the same or will I get a new one since I intend to take his name? Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best,
    Sonia

Comment

To the best of my knowledge your SS# is valid for life. Once you get married and change your name, you can submit evidence of your identity (for both NEW and OLD name), complete Form SS-5 that is available for download on www.ssa.gov, then you will be issued a new social security card with the same SS#, but with the new name on it.

There is a lot of information on SS cards and numbers if you visit http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Comment

I agree the SS number is for life.
        Why don't you marry earlier. That way you can get a head start on your paperwork and have something fall behind in case you get into trouble with INS (AOS adjusting is far better than out of status).

Another thing, Keep your 1-94 intact. You need that to prove you entered legally.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation