Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oppose the House REAL ID Act Take Action

Send a letter to your Representative and Senators urging them to oppose the anti-immigrant provisions of the House REAL ID Act.

I urge you to oppose Representative Sensenbrenner's REAL ID Act (H.R. 418). The House passed this measure on February 10 without any hearings or debate and now the bill has been attached (inappropriately) to the Emergency Supplemental bill for U.S. soldiers and tsunami relief efforts. Full hearings on the various provisions would have revealed that none of H.R. 418's ill-conceived measures will enhance national security. Hearings also would have highlighted the overwhelming opposition to these provisions from groups across the political spectrum.

When the House and Senate begin conference negotiations over the emergency supplemental, PLEASE URGE HOUSE CONFEREES TO OPPOSE the following misguided provisions:

Heightened Asylum Eligibility and Proof Standards: Asylum applicants already undergo more extensive security checks than any other foreign nationals who come to this country and terrorists and others who pose a danger to our security are ineligible for asylum. While the proposal to revamp our asylum system would do nothing to make us safer, it would deny asylum to legitimate applicants who cannot prove the central motive of their persecutor, who cannot produce corroborating evidence of their account, who make an inaccurate or inconsistent statement that is immaterial to the claim, or whose demeanor is inconsistent with an immigration judge's preconceived expectations.

Proving motive is already a difficult exercise for many individuals fleeing persecution. To require them to establish the centrality of one motive above potentially several motives would be to impose a nearly insurmountable standard of proof. In addition, people fleeing severe persecution often lack the opportunity and the wherewithal to secure the type of legal evidence needed to corroborate their claims. Moreover, the demeanor of torture survivors has repeatedly been found to be a poor indicator of credibility because the effects of the trauma often leaves them with a dull or flat affect.

Linkage of Driver's License Eligibility to Immigration Status: The intelligence reform bill that Congress passed last year already addresses the concerns raised by the 9/11 Commission regarding driver's licenses and identity documents. However, H.R 418 would actually repeal the driver's license provisions set forth in the intelligence reform bill and would set federal eligibility requirements for driver's licenses, including restrictions on immigrants' access to licenses. This would undermine, not enhance, national security by pushing people deeper into the shadows. Such a result would severely undermine the law enforcement utility of Department of Motor Vehicles databases by limiting, rather than expanding, government data about individuals in this country.

Expanded Grounds of Inadmissibility and Removal: The proposal to permit deportation of non-citizens who are members of or support any political organization that has used violence, even if the organization has not been designated as a "foreign terrorist organization," is unnecessary and potentially unconstitutional. This proposal to impose guilt by association confounds our basic understandings of liberty and, with its retroactive application, could be used to deport long-term, lawful residents, even if the association rendering them deportable occurred decades earlier and was legal at the time.

Restricted Habeas Corpus Review for Noncitizens: This provision would explicitly suspend the "Great Writ" of habeas corpus for the first time since the Civil War. It would limit all judicial review of detention and removal orders to one petition for review to the federal court of appeals. Those ineligible for such review would be barred from ANY review in federal court. This provision also would reduce the scope of any remaining federal court review to an extremely narrow and possibly unconstitutional standard that would allow courts to consider only "pure questions of law" or constitutional claims. Finally, this provision would eliminate temporary stays of removal pending federal court review in all immigration cases.

http://capwiz.com/aila2/mail/oneclic...lertid=7313861

Send a letter to your Representative and Senators urging them to oppose the anti-immigrant provisions of the House REAL ID Act.

I urge you to oppose Representative Sensenbrenner's REAL ID Act (H.R. 418). The House passed this measure on February 10 without any hearings or debate and now the bill has been attached (inappropriately) to the Emergency Supplemental bill for U.S. soldiers and tsunami relief efforts. Full hearings on the various provisions would have revealed that none of H.R. 418's ill-conceived measures will enhance national security. Hearings also would have highlighted the overwhelming opposition to these provisions from groups across the political spectrum.

When the House and Senate begin conference negotiations over the emergency supplemental, PLEASE URGE HOUSE CONFEREES TO OPPOSE the following misguided provisions:

Heightened Asylum Eligibility and Proof Standards: Asylum applicants already undergo more extensive security checks than any other foreign nationals who come to this country and terrorists and others who pose a danger to our security are ineligible for asylum. While the proposal to revamp our asylum system would do nothing to make us safer, it would deny asylum to legitimate applicants who cannot prove the central motive of their persecutor, who cannot produce corroborating evidence of their account, who make an inaccurate or inconsistent statement that is immaterial to the claim, or whose demeanor is inconsistent with an immigration judge's preconceived expectations.

Proving motive is already a difficult exercise for many individuals fleeing persecution. To require them to establish the centrality of one motive above potentially several motives would be to impose a nearly insurmountable standard of proof. In addition, people fleeing severe persecution often lack the opportunity and the wherewithal to secure the type of legal evidence needed to corroborate their claims. Moreover, the demeanor of torture survivors has repeatedly been found to be a poor indicator of credibility because the effects of the trauma often leaves them with a dull or flat affect.

Linkage of Driver's License Eligibility to Immigration Status: The intelligence reform bill that Congress passed last year already addresses the concerns raised by the 9/11 Commission regarding driver's licenses and identity documents. However, H.R 418 would actually repeal the driver's license provisions set forth in the intelligence reform bill and would set federal eligibility requirements for driver's licenses, including restrictions on immigrants' access to licenses. This would undermine, not enhance, national security by pushing people deeper into the shadows. Such a result would severely undermine the law enforcement utility of Department of Motor Vehicles databases by limiting, rather than expanding, government data about individuals in this country.

Expanded Grounds of Inadmissibility and Removal: The proposal to permit deportation of non-citizens who are members of or support any political organization that has used violence, even if the organization has not been designated as a "foreign terrorist organization," is unnecessary and potentially unconstitutional. This proposal to impose guilt by association confounds our basic understandings of liberty and, with its retroactive application, could be used to deport long-term, lawful residents, even if the association rendering them deportable occurred decades earlier and was legal at the time.

Restricted Habeas Corpus Review for Noncitizens: This provision would explicitly suspend the "Great Writ" of habeas corpus for the first time since the Civil War. It would limit all judicial review of detention and removal orders to one petition for review to the federal court of appeals. Those ineligible for such review would be barred from ANY review in federal court. This provision also would reduce the scope of any remaining federal court review to an extremely narrow and possibly unconstitutional standard that would allow courts to consider only "pure questions of law" or constitutional claims. Finally, this provision would eliminate temporary stays of removal pending federal court review in all immigration cases.

http://capwiz.com/aila2/mail/oneclic...lertid=7313861

Comment

No, no and NO!!!

This Bill should NOT be opposed and FOR the sake of Immigrants!

And let me explain in few words WHY it SHOULD pass, NOT opposed:

It is INEFFECTIVE Bill, it will not achieve anything, true. BUT, there is nothing that rhetoric can do in absence of REAL PROOF.
      Once Bill is passed, time, and VERY SOON, will prove just how ineffective such measures are.

Mounting numbers of Illegals, added safety issues and many-many other factors will be the result of any half-measures.
      And this one is certainly a HALF MEASURE.

It neither provides nessessary resourses to locate and deport 10 mln Illegal Immigrants, nor any Illegal Immigrant will voluntarily leave the country just because of the passage of such bill.

In near future Congress will have to face the issue head-to-head:
      either allocate all nesessary resourses for deportation ( not empty word 'Real-Depo' bills and etc.), or else, provide for some form of legalization for quilified undocumented immigrants.

I am certain that the passage of ineffective, unproductive Bills such as 'REAL-ID' are MUST, in order to prove ineffectiveness of such bills.
      So that FULL measures will be nesessiated and called for soon.

Always look one step ahead, don't see just obvious.

Good Luck.

Comment

You'd better pray that the Real ID Act and other measures are effective at reducing the number of illegal aliens here, because proving government can and will increase enforcement (especially against employers) and reduce illegal immigration is the only way Congress may actually get a "guest worker" program of some sort through. The amnesty of 1986, which promised enforcement and "one time only" DID NOT work to reduce illegal immigration, but did the exact opposite, increased it. It worked in the way you think the Real ID Act will, by proving the ineffectiveness of such laws. So, no way is the public going to buy another amnesty. Even for a guest worker program, government needs to be able to show it can and will enforce the rules, or it will be perceived as only another amnesty. As for the Real ID act failing, well, California and other states allowed illegal aliens to have licenses legally for years, and all it did was add to their traffic, health care, and other problems. My home state of Virginia also allowed illegal aliens to get licenses, and several of the 9/11 hijackers got them. We don't allow it anymore.

Comment

Well as expected they pass the Real ID and struck down the Ag.Jobs and Guest Worker program. Dubya will just sign it and make it official.

Comment

Republicans and lazy republican American Whites who are usually low educated and cannot do anything are afraid of hard working and high skilled immigrants who take up their jobs because immigrants are simply better, smarter and work harder than Republicans - that is why lazy republican Whites want to make the immigrant lives harder and they want to eliminate healthy competition.
            Republican whites want to be paid just for being Americans. They can not do anything other than sleeping at work, reading news of eating at restaurant or discussing private matters at work.

Real ID act will not make secure America because instead of performing FBI background check on immigrants applying for driver license US government will be checking their immigration status rather than if they have had any criminal or terrorist history.

All terrorists obtained their driving licenses in legal way because they entered US legally and even after 9/11 they received visa extensions.

Real ID will make life of illegal aliens harder and will force some of them to leave America but will not protect US against criminals or terrorists obtaining Real ID in legal way because no FBI checks will be performed when issuing Real Ids.

In this way stupid white-republican Trash would be able to take up the jobs which normally belonged to qualified immigrants.

Real ID will be the Real End of Immigration to United States.

Worker Program has already been forgotten by everybody except ILW editors.

Comment

I had to laugh at this quote
              "In this way stupid white-republican Trash would be able to take up the jobs which normally belonged to qualified immigrants."

Since when do American jobs BELONG to foreigners, qualified or not? Maria, you are a dumb f u c k i n g, arrogant, ignorant, morally corrupt, deluded little ILLEGAL ALIEN. You are the s h i t on my shoes and you will never amount to anything greater because you broke the law and I hope that ICE catches up with you one day. Go back to mexico b i t c h, this country has already got an ample supply of hookers.

Comment

Maria, Maria, Maria--If "high skilled" immigrants were valued for anything other than their willingness to work cheaply, then they wouldn't be here illegally. You're still here illegally, earning less than an American in a similar job, and you're talking about being "smarter"? The "lazy" ones are the ones who can't wait to get a legal sponsor to go through the immigration process legally--and find themselves out of status and in risk of deportation.

U.S. corporations have enough clout in Congress to get the number of green cards increased--if they wanted to. Instead, they prefer "guest worker" programs, which keep workers, skilled and unskilled, indentured to them, or amnesties, which would give them a large number of workers to keep wages down. I'd say its pretty darn dumb of immigrants not to realize that the more of them there are, the more of them compete not only with Americans, but against each other. After all, isn't too many people and too few jobs a major reason why illegal aliens are here from Mexico? Or, India? Or, Pakistan?

Comment

But another primary reason for immigrants to come is because the job here is paying 3-4x more than the job back home. They know very well that they've to compete with others, but looks like the risk is still worth it.

Comment

The job may pay 3x-4x what it does "at home" but the cost of living here is higher, especially if you pay taxes, SS, and don't rely on emergency rooms or "free" clinics for medical care. 60 Minutes last night had a story on U.S. residents going to India and Thailand for medical care because the cost was a fraction what it is here. The doctors earn about 1/10 what they did when they were here, but then, everything else costs less there, too.

Comment

Maybe if they choose to pursue the consumptive American lifestyle. But some of them are quite adept in living frugally and sending plenty of $$$ home. Those amount will take them decades to garnered instead of just years here. I'm sure you've heard how illegals mexican in california lived and send most of their paycheque to mexico?

Comment

Marmaduk--What makes you think those guys are paying taxes? Or, paying for the medical care and other services they receive? I'm sure they do send lots to Mexico, else where would the $14 Billion in remittances come from. And I'm sure many do work several jobs, and live 10 to a room. But, do you really think they plan to do that all their lives? Or, want that for their children? They plan to go home and live better lives. An American is home. As for consumption, well, there was an article I came across in today's paper about Mexican illegals returning home for a visit to the houses they built with what they earned here--houses complete with widescreen TVs and an SUV in the yard. Money goes a lot further when you don't have to pay U.S. taxes and U.S. housing costs. (I might add that I could barely afford a one-bedroom condo in the area I live in because of pressure on housing costs, in large part due to growth from immigration, both legal and illegal. And, I'm working two jobs. Of course, if I wanted 9 roommates...)

I've known expats myself (and been one) who lived under conditions they wouldn't want to at home BECAUSE THEY KNEW IT WASN'T FOREVER and that the money they earned would enable them to live more comfortably when they did come home.

Comment

I think we're going off-tangent here....
                          This is what I'm arguing about:
                          I'd say its pretty darn dumb of immigrants not to realize that the more of them there are, the more of them compete not only with Americans, but against each other. After all, isn't too many people and too few jobs a major reason why illegal aliens are here from Mexico? Or, India? Or, Pakistan?
                          I'm merely saying that even knowing the competition,etc, there're still much more to gain for the immigrants (illegals or not) in USA than their own country.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation