X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vivek
    replied
    Welcome and hope things will work out for you.

Leave a comment:

• vivek
    replied
    By the way when first time I filed I-864 separately as a cosponsor then NVC gave me check list and told me to include my income as a household member on page 3 of I-864 (income of other qualifying person). So if you are dealing with NVC then they will guide you through out the process even though you are wrong. They will help you to correct your mistakes in Affidavit of support. They are very good and much better people to deal with rather then USCIS.

Leave a comment:

• AYESHA
    replied
    THANKS SO MUCH VIVEK, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND HELP, GOD BLESS YOU.

Leave a comment:

• vivek
    replied
    If you live with your parents then you can combine your income with parents. I did it in past and NVC approved it. My parents are senior citizen so they were not meeting poverty line so I added my income as household member and files I-864A and everything worked out well.

And about NJ, I guess county can provide you such information but ill ask some people and get back to you.

Leave a comment:

• AYESHA
    replied
    YES, I DO LIVE WITH MY PARENTS, IN NEW JERSEY. IM NOT SURE THOUGH WHAT HE DOES HAVE SHOWING THE VALUE, BUT I AM SURE I CAN GET INFORMATION ON IT. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Leave a comment:

• vivek
    replied
    I guess your parents are not living with you right?
    As for example like I live in NYC and we get Assessment roll of the property every year in January indicating the market value (property history) of our properties that we own. Those kinds of documents are I guess enough to show the market price of the house. And I am sure price of the house is more then poverty line. I am sure similar is available in 50 states otherwise paid off mortgage statement.

Leave a comment:

• AYESHA
    replied
    DO YOU KNOW HOW I WOULD BE ABLE TO PROVE THAT, OR WHAT INFORMATIONJ I NEED TO SEND IN?

Leave a comment:

• swissnut
    replied
    Ayesha:

No need to worry. If your Dad's home is indeed paid off and is worth $45,000 or more, he should meet the requirement, with that and his income alone.

Leave a comment:

• AYESHA
    replied
    I THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ANSWERS. ALL THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE THEN, I THOUGHT INCOME COULD BE COMBINED, BUT I READ YOU CANT COMBINE INCOME, MY DAD'S TAX IS ONLY ABOUT $19,000.00 AND MINE IS ABOUT $8,000.00, HE OWNS A HOME AND ITS PAID OFF, AND MAYBE WITH THE HOUSE THINGS WILL HELP, BUT I AM WORRIED BECAUSE OF THE INCOME.

Leave a comment:

• vivek
    replied
    Ayesha, first of all most important thing is your household size. That is you and your two kids become total of three and immigrant you are sponsoring that is your husband and his son (i.e. two) so total house hold size is 5. According 2004 poverty guide line, household size of 5 must have income of $27,537.
    If your last year that is 2003 IRS-1040 form indicates income of $27,000 then you are behind poverty line by just $537. so that $537 *5= $2685, if you have $3000 in Bank either in checking or savings account or CD's then you can take bank statement indicating that amount as of today. Attach bank statement with affidavit of support. Then this way you don't need any cosponsor.

If your parents are living with you right now or they lived during past 6 months or more then consider following case, on page-3 of I-864 form

Indicate most recent tax year 2003

Sponsor's individual income $27000

Income of other qualifying persons.
    (List names; include spouse if applicable.
    Each person must complete Form I-864A.)

Your Father name $______________
    Mother name $______________

Total Household Income $______________

And I am sure if you add all the amount then it will be beyond poverty line very easily, however you're both parents need to fill out I-864A since it is a contract between you and your dad and you are your mother for the support of the sponsored immigrant because they are making their income available for the support.

Read this statement given on I-864 form on page three
    Sponsor's Annual Household Income
    { If your individual income does not meet the income requirement for your household size, you may also list total income for anyone related to you by birth, marriage, or adoption currently living with you in your residence if they have lived in your residence for the previous 6 months. For their income to be considered, household members or dependents must be willing to make their income available for support of the sponsored immigrant(s) and to complete and sign Form I-864A, Contract between Sponsor and Household Member.}

If they are not living with you then parents has to filled out separate affidavit of support form as a cosponsor and mother has to fill out I-864A since it is contract between him and her for the support of sponsored immigrants. But both have to cross poverty line.
    I hope this would help and I could be wrong about this.

Leave a comment:

• Glühbirne
    replied
    Swissnut is completely correct. Your parents have to meet the entire requirement on thier own. You cannot combine yours and your parents' incomes.

Leave a comment:

• swissnut
    replied
    Ayesha:

I thought I should check the current poverty level guidelines for 2004. One other thing I failed to mention, which someone might have been confused over is the reference "co-sponsor". All marriage based petitioners must file an I864, even if he or she does not meet the requirements. In such a case, a joint sponsor is necessary, but once again, the joint sponsor must meet the guidelines on his or her own merit, and not as a combined effort with the petitioner.

The numbers being used right now for 125% poverty level is $15,600 and an additional $3,975 for each household member. So in your case, you would need an income of $27,525 alone to meet the requirements, and Dad (or Dad and Mum) would need an income of $23,550. If neither is the case, then you can include Dad's liquid assets, (monies in bank) and value of his home, less the outstanding mortgage.

EXAMPLE:
    If Dad has $10,000 in bank, you can add $2,000 to meet the guideline (1/5th value)
    If his home is worth $200,000 but he has a mortgage of $160,000, then you can use net worth figure of $40,000 divided by 5, which equals $8,000 to add to the number in order to meet the guideline.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Leave a comment:

• swissnut
    replied
    Ayesha:

There is no need to state your income or your father's separate income on this public forum. But you alone have a 4 person household (yourself, 2 kids and immigrant) so you need to add approximately $3,500 per person to the $15,900 guideline in order to meet the requirement. If your husband also has a son and he will need to be counted as well, making your total household 5 persons.

For father, he has a 3 person household (himself, spouse, and immigrant) so dad would have to add $3,500 for 3 persons to the $15,900. It appears that unless Dad is earning almost all of your joint income, that he will need to attach asset information to meet the guidelines. Also, if Dad's wife is also earning income, she will have to file an I864A.

Please check the number I used here because I am going on memory.

Leave a comment:

• Spouse
    replied
    check at www.uscis.gov. I think the form itself tells you what the necessary quantity for the number of people.

I know that for self and spouse the 125% is around 16,000, but I am not sure for self, immigrant spouse and two children (or for your father - self, spouse and immigrant)

Leave a comment:

• JulieCelik1
    replied
    As I now recall better, I think Swissnut might be right..

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation