X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOS approved, YEAHHHH!!!!

Hi everyone,
    A little encouragement for everyone in the process. I know success stories, encouragement and advice posted by others on this board have lifted my spirits more than once.

Here is the story for anyone interested:

I came to the US as a J-1 student. During my studies I met my future wife(USC) and we got married 2 years ago.

Timeline:
    1) Filed AOS package(I485,EAD,AP) March 2003 with the district office.(I was not subject to the 2 year home stay requirement and submitted an "advisory opinion" issued by the DOS to that effect together with the I485. I also submitted the medical exam results at the initial filing, but every district office is a little different about this.)
    2) Received fingerprint notice two weeks later and was fingerprinted beginning of April 2003
    3) Received AP mid April 2003
    4) Received EAD end of April 2003
    5) Applied for 2nd EAD and AP in Jan 2004 (as the old ones were expiring in April 2004)
    6) Received 2nd AP in end of Feb 2004
    7) Received EAD on the day the old one was expiring (I was told that I could have waited with the renewal application as it takes them only ~3 weeks to process EADs)
    8) Received AOS interview appointment letter mid April (we got the letter before my old EAD expired) for interview beginning of May.
    9) AOS interview beginning of May 2004 and (verbal)approval of AOS.
    10) Came back (two weeks later) after the 2 year anniversary to pick up unconditional green card.

Details about the interview:
    At first we were excited and but then concerned about the fact that the interview appointment was two weeks shy of our 2nd wedding anniversary. We contemplated to request a reschedule but then opted not to and see what the officer would do. (later I found out that at the district office it is not uncommon for people to reschedule their appointments).

On the appointment day we were all prepared with the requested documents:
    a) passport and I-94, marriage certificate, ADIT style photos
    b) 2003 tax return (they only wanted the 2003 return not all the previous ones)
    Evidence of bona fide marriage:
    c) Joint bank account statements
    d) mortage of our house
    e) joint car insurance, house insurance, health insurance, documents showing that my wife is beneficiary of life insurance, accounts etc.
    f) utility bills in both names, drivers licenses with our address
    g) a whole pile of other stuff like receipts of plane tickets of trips we have taken together etc.
    h) photos of the wedding, trips together, meeting the parents and family etc.

At the interview date we filed into the waiting room. A lot of people got called before us (even people that came in after us). After about 45 min our interview officer stuck her head out and appologized for letting us wait so long, and that she would call us in a few minutes. Once we were in her little office, she checked our IDs and adminstered the oath. She was very nice and went over the application checking that all was in order(name, DOB etc). Then she cheked things like last entry, looked at my passport and went over the list in the back of the I-485 verifying my answeres to questions like "Have you ever smuggled illeagal alines?", "Have you ever smuggled drugs etc."
    After that she asked a few brief questions how my wife and I met, how long we lived together etc. and then asked for the tax return and other documents. After she saw that we had all joint insurance and that my wife was beneficiary on all the accounts she was satisfied and didn't want to see the rest.(Although after my wife jokingly complained that she put a photo-al*** together for nothing, the officer said:"Wedding pictures are always fun to look at" so we went over the al*** real quick)

She basically said that everything was in order and was starting to explain about the conditional resident status (since we hadn't been married for two years) when she stopped and looked at our wedding date(being so close to the 2 year anniversary). She then suggested that she could either give us the conditional green card now OR she could hold on to our file for another two weeks till our anniversary and we could then come back and pick up the unconditional green card. We gladly took her offer and we just came back from the office with the unconditional green card in hand.

Overall, I was pleasantly supprised by the district office. At all times the officers were very nice, helpfull and handled everything well. It allways seemed that they were on top of things.(Even my address change went through without a hitch). I can only say: Keep up the good work.

I hope this helps some folks out there still in the process. Hang in there!

Marcus

Hi everyone,
    A little encouragement for everyone in the process. I know success stories, encouragement and advice posted by others on this board have lifted my spirits more than once.

Here is the story for anyone interested:

I came to the US as a J-1 student. During my studies I met my future wife(USC) and we got married 2 years ago.

Timeline:
    1) Filed AOS package(I485,EAD,AP) March 2003 with the district office.(I was not subject to the 2 year home stay requirement and submitted an "advisory opinion" issued by the DOS to that effect together with the I485. I also submitted the medical exam results at the initial filing, but every district office is a little different about this.)
    2) Received fingerprint notice two weeks later and was fingerprinted beginning of April 2003
    3) Received AP mid April 2003
    4) Received EAD end of April 2003
    5) Applied for 2nd EAD and AP in Jan 2004 (as the old ones were expiring in April 2004)
    6) Received 2nd AP in end of Feb 2004
    7) Received EAD on the day the old one was expiring (I was told that I could have waited with the renewal application as it takes them only ~3 weeks to process EADs)
    8) Received AOS interview appointment letter mid April (we got the letter before my old EAD expired) for interview beginning of May.
    9) AOS interview beginning of May 2004 and (verbal)approval of AOS.
    10) Came back (two weeks later) after the 2 year anniversary to pick up unconditional green card.

Details about the interview:
    At first we were excited and but then concerned about the fact that the interview appointment was two weeks shy of our 2nd wedding anniversary. We contemplated to request a reschedule but then opted not to and see what the officer would do. (later I found out that at the district office it is not uncommon for people to reschedule their appointments).

On the appointment day we were all prepared with the requested documents:
    a) passport and I-94, marriage certificate, ADIT style photos
    b) 2003 tax return (they only wanted the 2003 return not all the previous ones)
    Evidence of bona fide marriage:
    c) Joint bank account statements
    d) mortage of our house
    e) joint car insurance, house insurance, health insurance, documents showing that my wife is beneficiary of life insurance, accounts etc.
    f) utility bills in both names, drivers licenses with our address
    g) a whole pile of other stuff like receipts of plane tickets of trips we have taken together etc.
    h) photos of the wedding, trips together, meeting the parents and family etc.

At the interview date we filed into the waiting room. A lot of people got called before us (even people that came in after us). After about 45 min our interview officer stuck her head out and appologized for letting us wait so long, and that she would call us in a few minutes. Once we were in her little office, she checked our IDs and adminstered the oath. She was very nice and went over the application checking that all was in order(name, DOB etc). Then she cheked things like last entry, looked at my passport and went over the list in the back of the I-485 verifying my answeres to questions like "Have you ever smuggled illeagal alines?", "Have you ever smuggled drugs etc."
    After that she asked a few brief questions how my wife and I met, how long we lived together etc. and then asked for the tax return and other documents. After she saw that we had all joint insurance and that my wife was beneficiary on all the accounts she was satisfied and didn't want to see the rest.(Although after my wife jokingly complained that she put a photo-al*** together for nothing, the officer said:"Wedding pictures are always fun to look at" so we went over the al*** real quick)

She basically said that everything was in order and was starting to explain about the conditional resident status (since we hadn't been married for two years) when she stopped and looked at our wedding date(being so close to the 2 year anniversary). She then suggested that she could either give us the conditional green card now OR she could hold on to our file for another two weeks till our anniversary and we could then come back and pick up the unconditional green card. We gladly took her offer and we just came back from the office with the unconditional green card in hand.

Overall, I was pleasantly supprised by the district office. At all times the officers were very nice, helpfull and handled everything well. It allways seemed that they were on top of things.(Even my address change went through without a hitch). I can only say: Keep up the good work.

I hope this helps some folks out there still in the process. Hang in there!

Marcus

Comment

congratulations!

Which district office was that?

Comment

Tucson,AZ (suboffice of the Phoenix district office).

Marcus

Comment

congratualtions

Comment

the other day i congratulated someone on this site for getting their greencard,now that person has turned out to be the discussion board PEST. but what the ****....CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Comment

good grief is h e c k a cuss word......it came up as stars in my last post

Comment

Yep. According to this post, b u m is a cussword, too. Noticed how you can't write a l b u m without half of it coming out in stars?
                Have a nice day

Comment

yea i noticed that too.....i wonder if shell is as well? LOL

Comment

Hey Robbie...
                    Congratulations you s-c-u-m slime.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times