X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green card and USC's responsibilities

Hi:
    I married to a USC in August 2003. So we filed the application for my green card.

The fact is I am working all the time for the same company (from Jan 2001). I canceled my company-sponsored green card application, and got my temprary green card in Jan 2005.

I am curiously to know, what is my husband's responsibilities as a sponsor for my family-based green card? The web site said: "When you sign the Affidavit of Support, you accept legal responsibility for financially supporting the sponsored immigrant(s) until they become U.S. citizens or can be credited with 40 quarters of work.". Since I am working all the time, does this mean he has no responsibility at all? or Is he still responsible in case I lose my job (maybe) in the future?

Thanks,

If you were to become a "public charge", your sponsor would be expected to provide support, and the government could seek reimbursement from him for whatever welfare you received. Becoming a public charge (and not paying back money received) could make you ineligible for citizenship. [Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.]

This says NOTHING about him paying your private debts and wouldn't be any use to you in establishing something like an obligation to support you if you were to divorce.

Comment

So he is responsible if I were to become a "public charge", until I become a citizen. Then the responsibility is removed???

Comment

Yes his responsibility terminates as you become a USC.

Comment

Or you complete 40 quarters of work (about 10 years) - which is a very good idea if you are to collect your SS and or retirement from some company. And be your own person.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation