Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

21 killed in India stampede (CNN Report)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 killed in India stampede (CNN Report)

21 killed in India stampede

NEW DELHI, India (CNN) -- Twenty-one people have been killed in India in a stampede as people rushed to receive gifts of free clothing to mark a politician's birthday.

Local authorities at Lucknow in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh said the politician, Lalji Tandon, a member of Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee's BJP party, was giving out saris, a traditional Indian dress, as part of the birthday celebration on Monday.

The victims were killed, local authorities said, when the crowd estimated to be more than 5,000 rushed forward to receive their gifts.

The stampede began when rumors spread through the crowd that there were no more saris to give away, The Associated Press reported.

Victims included eight women aged 45 to 60 years, and seven young girls who had lined up to receive saris, Dr. Lalit Saxena, one of the doctors who took the bodies to three city hospitals, told the news agency.

"We came with the hope that we would hear his speech. He celebrated his birthday and gave us death," Ketaki Devi, who ran out of the park to save herself, told reporters.

"I saw several women fall down. They didn't get up."

Monday afternoon, hundreds of sandals were strewn across the park and chairs were overturned. Thousands of saris still waiting to be given away lay near the stage in bundles.

"There were mostly old ladies from poor families who had come to get saris," eyewitness Renuka Sharma told AP.

"We tried to stop the distribution but before we could, everything went haywire and old women were trampled to death," said Brijendra Yadav, one of the organizers.

Indian politicians commonly give away food, liquor, blankets and other gifts at election time to attract crowds and win votes.

------------------------------------------------

Find this article at:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/as...ede/index.html
    Sweet Madame Belu

21 killed in India stampede

NEW DELHI, India (CNN) -- Twenty-one people have been killed in India in a stampede as people rushed to receive gifts of free clothing to mark a politician's birthday.

Local authorities at Lucknow in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh said the politician, Lalji Tandon, a member of Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee's BJP party, was giving out saris, a traditional Indian dress, as part of the birthday celebration on Monday.

The victims were killed, local authorities said, when the crowd estimated to be more than 5,000 rushed forward to receive their gifts.

The stampede began when rumors spread through the crowd that there were no more saris to give away, The Associated Press reported.

Victims included eight women aged 45 to 60 years, and seven young girls who had lined up to receive saris, Dr. Lalit Saxena, one of the doctors who took the bodies to three city hospitals, told the news agency.

"We came with the hope that we would hear his speech. He celebrated his birthday and gave us death," Ketaki Devi, who ran out of the park to save herself, told reporters.

"I saw several women fall down. They didn't get up."

Monday afternoon, hundreds of sandals were strewn across the park and chairs were overturned. Thousands of saris still waiting to be given away lay near the stage in bundles.

"There were mostly old ladies from poor families who had come to get saris," eyewitness Renuka Sharma told AP.

"We tried to stop the distribution but before we could, everything went haywire and old women were trampled to death," said Brijendra Yadav, one of the organizers.

Indian politicians commonly give away food, liquor, blankets and other gifts at election time to attract crowds and win votes.

------------------------------------------------

Find this article at:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/as...ede/index.html
    Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

what is your point?

Comment

Wow. Real civilized country there. People die for free clothing.

that's embarassing if i was from that country. WTF???

-= nav =-

Comment

While in the USA 13-14 yrs old bring guns to school and kill their teacher and other kids.
          Real civilized country you got here eh moondin

Comment

thats an act of malicious crime. Not the same.

That's like 20 american sgetting killed running through walmart trying to get Furby's. 20 people DYING for no reason. I wonder what other stupid things people die for over there.

i wonder how many of them were programming our software and now gotte be repalced.

-= nav =-

Comment

Ok, then americans got crushed and killed while watching a concert is in the same ballpark then, afterall, who's stupid enough to watch a bunch of gangsta rapper spewed garbage ?
              Whoops, I guess millions of americans does

And don't worry about the dead programmers, corporate America is already moving to Eastern Europe for even cheaper labor than India

Comment

Yeah but a concert of 20,000 is not the same as a free giveaway at some store. Come on. Let's call apples an apple.

I've been to india btw. I was thorougly DISGUSTED by lack of manners there. People push each other, no "sorry, thank you, etc.". Just yelling. Honking. I almost decked a few people who tried to push me out of the way just to get through. Try doing that in NY or London and see what happens.

Last straw was the airport. The gate opens. All these people start PUSHING AND SHOVING to get in line. Good LORD! Everyone is gonna get one. What the hell is the rush?? I couldn't believe my eyes. Old indian men and women were the worst.

courtesy on the streets from driving? There's two words taht don't go together.

Maybe they should concentrate on that, instead of just putting out mininum wage code monkeys.

-= nav =-

Comment

I'm just trying to point out no country is perfect.
                  And yes, India and customer-service should not be used in the same sentence. Unfortunately, corporate America doesn't really care, all in the name of $$$.

Its only a matter of time before they shift everything to africa anyway, some of them speak english in the same level of the indians, being former british colonies and all.

Comment

Now i know the theory of "If you don't live there, you have no right to *****" and the "you're just jealous cuz they're taking your jobs, etc" comeback.

But it's actually sad. I have some indian friends and one of the things they say they LOVE about the US is how everyone is so polite and cordial. People actually "let you in" on the road. And say "bless you" after you sneeze, and say "thanks" after you buy things.

I went for vacation. Spend my money. People in Malaysia treated me like royalty and very kind and respectful. People in New Delhi treated me and everyone else like cattle. I almost got hit by 3 rickshaw's that could care less i was in their line of sight.

The difference in the two countries was amazing.

-= nav =-

Comment

A lady got killed at Wal-Mart around christmas time in a stampede over a cheap DVD player.
                      Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

that's about the most that'll happen. Imagine 21 PEOPLE!

I feel so sorry for the families. Imagine how much rage you'd feel if someone died over something so stupid and careless like this. Bunch of greedy *******s with no concerns of others. True animals.

I wonder how many were kids.

-= nav =-

Comment

How many does that leave ? Like a billion ??

Comment

"josephine schmo posted April 13, 2004 05:28 PM A lady got killed at Wal-Mart around christmas time in a stampede over a cheap DVD player. "

Once again ignorance rears its ugly head. The woman turned out to have been a fraud. She pulled this stunt 21 times before she got caught because of the publicity this one got. You people should understand the news better.

Comment

And she wasn't killed you ninny

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs