Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever been thrown off a flight?

Can you believe this? A friend of mine was flying to london yesterday and was already sitting down in his seat chatting to the fellow next to him when his name was announced and called up to the front. He went up and was told the pliot had heard him utter the F-U-C-K word and because of that he cannot be on the flight. My friend was travelling on his own and was mumbling to himself, he was not being a threat to anyone. Pliots these days are abusing their power and being oversensitive. I read online that a couple in Miami was thrown off a plane because of a t-shirt the lady was wearing. The t-shirt showed part of a woman's breast. What ever happened to the free speech and how is wearing a t-shirt compromise the security and safety of the flight?

My friend is flying out tonight and his baggage is already in London I hope they haven't lost it. Anybody care to share any similar experience or stories they've heard? Btw, it was on a Continential Airlines flight.

Sonia

Can you believe this? A friend of mine was flying to london yesterday and was already sitting down in his seat chatting to the fellow next to him when his name was announced and called up to the front. He went up and was told the pliot had heard him utter the F-U-C-K word and because of that he cannot be on the flight. My friend was travelling on his own and was mumbling to himself, he was not being a threat to anyone. Pliots these days are abusing their power and being oversensitive. I read online that a couple in Miami was thrown off a plane because of a t-shirt the lady was wearing. The t-shirt showed part of a woman's breast. What ever happened to the free speech and how is wearing a t-shirt compromise the security and safety of the flight?

My friend is flying out tonight and his baggage is already in London I hope they haven't lost it. Anybody care to share any similar experience or stories they've heard? Btw, it was on a Continential Airlines flight.

Sonia

Comment

Self respect & decency should be encourged always.

Comment

Surely their baggage should have been taken off the flight with them? That is a bigger security risk than anything else.

That was the wrong topic to start me off on, it gives me an opportunity to go on and on about my story.

The only time I was thrown off a flight was, coincidentally, also a flight to London, from JFK back in January. My flight had been booked as part of a group booking, and I had the original return ticket that I had used to come to the USA the year before (as I had been in New York for a whole year on an internship program), and a confirmation code with my new return flight which had been booked for me by a British Airways agent. The check-in attendant simply put in my surname, it all came up before I had even taken out my original plane ticket, she said it was an e-ticket, so I put the ticket in my luggage and thought no more about it.

Spent a couple of hours in the duty free shop and wallowing in self-pity at the fact that I had to leave the US and go back home. Finally came time to board at 11pm. I was one of the last ones on, as I don't like flying so always get on at the last call. When I got to the gate, I gave my boarding pass to the agent, who said 'where's your ticket?'. I explained that I had an e-ticket.
        'No you don't, it's come up on here that you have a paper ticket.'
        'Well, I have one from last year, but if that's the case, why was I allowed to check in without them even asking to see the old ticket?'
        'You shouldn't have been allowed to check in. That was wrong. But where is your ticket?'
        'Well, seeing as they didn't ask for it, I put it in my luggage.'
        'You can't board this flight without a paper ticket.'
        'Well, my name is in the computer, you've seen my ID, I've been issued a boarding pass, why do I need the paper ticket?'
        'You need a paper ticket. Do you have a credit card?'
        'Yes, why?'
        'If you pay $2,000 now, I can book you a new seat on the plane.'
        'I'M NOT PAYING $2,000 FOR YOUR MISTAKE!!'
        'Then I'm afraid you are going to have to be taken off this flight.'

So they did: they threw me off the flight, and then unloaded my luggage.. which of course made the plane late, which annoyed many passengers, as my mum found as she overheard all the people at the arrivals hall in London!

Of course, as soon as my luggage had come back through, I could show them the ticket, and then they were fine. Luckily another BA flight had been delayed, so they were able to put me on that flight instead, so in the end I was only delayed a few hours. What did annoy me was that I had booked myself on that plane to make sure I was within my 30 days after the expiration of my J-1 visa; thanks to the delays I was technically into my 31st.

And then of course, there's the story of when my family and I were flying from Nassau to Orlando, and thanks to a severe ticket mixup we ended up on a flight to Miami; and didn't realize until we had begun taxi-ing down the runway. But they had put our luggage on the Orlando plane... but that's a whole other story

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation