Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If a person is deported.....

and re-enters the country illegally, after more than 15 years can that person if married to an american for 17 years legalize the status.

and re-enters the country illegally, after more than 15 years can that person if married to an american for 17 years legalize the status.

Comment

The primary question here is WHEN did the person RE-ENTER?

If they re-entered after 1996 they are going to have a really hard time - First, under current law an EWI cannot adjust status.

Second, there is a section of law (212(a)(9)(C)) that prevents a person that has re-entered the USA illegally after deportation from obtaining any form of relief.

However, if the re-entry occured prior to 1996 there may be a chance that the person is grandfathered in under the previous law, and therefore some type of relief might be available, it would definitely be worth a visit to a good lawyer!

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by av:
        Deportation occurred in 1984 re-entered same year, been in this country eversince.
        Two years on parole, when deporation notification came, left country purshasing own air plane ticket.

I want to know if I should reopen case - if while filing papers I could be deported.

I would like some direction on how to procced.

Thank you in advance for any info.

Comment

Since, as I had suspected, the re-entry occured prior to 1996... in 1984 to be exact, I would highly recommend that you seek the advice of a good lawyer.

Most people on this board, if they possess knowledge of immigration laws, are relatively fluent in the current status of the laws, but are unlikely to know much regarding the 1984 laws. You will need a lawyer that has preferably been practicing for quite some time to be able to help you in accordance with the earlier laws. (at least to help you well!)

I wish you the best of luck and hope that if you get a chance you will return to the board to let us know the status of your case, what is being done, and to educate us all!!!

Good luck!

Comment

I believe spouse's information is ment good, but it's inaccurate; the 1996 law changes are retroactive, making any illegal entry ineligable for adjustment of status; a statute of limitation does not apply to any case in particular with your history. Based on the reason why you were deported you could be eligable for a max. 20 yrs. of prison. I'd be very carefull before filing anything

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora:
              I believe spouse's information is ment good, but it's inaccurate; the 1996 law changes are retroactive, making any illegal entry ineligable for adjustment of status; a statute of limitation does not apply to any case in particular with your history. Based on the reason why you were deported you could be eligable for a max. 20 yrs. of prison. I'd be very carefull before filing anything
              20 yrs of prison? ****..I didn't know breaking immigration laws is an offense punishable with jail sentences, especially that long..

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation