Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is proper way to obtain US passport for minors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is proper way to obtain US passport for minors?

Hello,

My uncle has received his naturalization certificate recently and a US passport few days ago. He has custody of his two kids (11 y.o. and 13 y.o.), who are LPR, but their Green Cards were lost and expired about 18 months ago.

How does one go about getting US passports for kids? Does he need to file N-600 to obtain certificate of naturalization for both? I am certain he did include them on his N-400 if that matters.

Thank you!

Hello,

My uncle has received his naturalization certificate recently and a US passport few days ago. He has custody of his two kids (11 y.o. and 13 y.o.), who are LPR, but their Green Cards were lost and expired about 18 months ago.

How does one go about getting US passports for kids? Does he need to file N-600 to obtain certificate of naturalization for both? I am certain he did include them on his N-400 if that matters.

Thank you!

Comment

Passports are being issued by another agency which is the Department of State (DOS). Your uncle can try applying directly for the kids, who knows? But normally, the DOS requires proof of an applicant's citizenship issued by the Department of Homeland Security (USCIS) before issuing a US passport. So you're right, the kids have to file Form N-600 for each of them. The kids' green card copies should be attached, among other documentary evidence, with the N-600's. How could both kids lose their green cards at the same time? If they don't have even photocopies, they need to file Forms I-90 to replace their lost cards before they could file the N-600's. I hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you for reply. That is my train of thought as well - Passport Application requires proof of Citizenship --> File N-600; N-600 requires proof of being LPR --> file I-90 to replace Green Cards (they were lost together with some paperwork when moving to a new house).

BUT, I was also under impression that including kids on N-400 grants them citizenship through father as well - reason for such understanding that when friend of mine received his citizenship 2 years ago, he simply went with his passport to the post office and birth certificates for his kids and after some time picked up the passports for kids. Thus, did procedures change since then, if someone knows?

THANKS!

Comment

No change in procedure. Proof of citizenship is always required. I told you the same thing on my previous post. That your uncle can try applying passports directly for the kids, because indeed, who knows? But if they fail, they can take Option B or filing N-600 for the kids first.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation