History/Goegraphy Lesson for Sugarpoof

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying for STATUS is different then applying for a VISA.

If you are visa exempt and want to enter in a visa status (such as F-1) you have to get a properly annotated I-94.

Comment

wish: to have a desire for: want

want: to have or feel a need, to have a strong desire for

desire: to long or hope for, strength of feeling or strong intention.

different from must, shall, or will

Comment

wish: to have a desire for: want

want: to have or feel a need, to have a strong desire for

desire: to long or hope for, strength of feeling or strong intention.

different from must, shall, or will
        So true!

Comment

You should concern yourself more with the definition of status and visa.

Comment

I'll suggest the person in question to just go to their International Student Office and get their answer. At least you'll have something in writing if problem do arise later on. The way I'm seeing it right now, Canadian student have to have a valid I-20. Whether they're admitted under F1, J1,etc is debatable, but they have to have the I-20.

Comment

sugarpuff, what happens to Canadian student who found to be without I-20 and Visa?

Comment

They are considered to be in violation of their status. Since many students also work on campus (as allowed under F-1 and J-1 status) they will also be guilty of illegal employment.

Comment

And what are the consequences of both charges?
                  Are they electricuted, condemned to life in prison , considered aggravated felons?
                  Or are they simply bought free bus ticket and sent back home?

Comment

They are Visa exempt so they do not need a visa so they cannot be out of status.

I think they are covered in honey and put out into the Arizona desert for the ants. But they still don't need a visa.

Comment

Since they are visa exempt then why are they allowed to apply for visa?

Comment

Based on your logic then someone on VWP can never be out of status.

What will happen is that this individual may be denied an H or PR.

Comment

So, free bus ticket to go home that is.
                          Isn't it, sugarpuff?
                          Hehe!

Comment

You just keep telling yourself that and I am sure everything will be ok.

Comment

Canadians do not need 1-94 either. You get a 1-94 if you have a visa.

Please note as follows:

Filling Out Form I-94
                              (11/04/2005)

For nonimmigrant visitors entering the United States with a visa, there is a requirement to fill a Form I-94 (white form). This form has two specific perforated sections to it. The visitor or the carrier representative fills out Form I-94 upon arrival in the United States. The bottom section of Form I-94 is a departure coupon and must be returned to U.S. officials upon exiting the United States.

The information requested on Form I-94 includes:

* Full Name
                              * Date of Birth
                              * Country of Citizenship
                              * Passport Number
                              * Airline and Flight Number
                              * City Where Boarded
                              * Address While in the United States

In addition, there are several fields on the back upper portion designed for immigration related issues such as alien number, student number, and receipt number, which also need to be completed upon arrival to the United States. The back lower portion requests:

* Full Name
                              * Birth Date
                              * Country of Citizenship

After the successful completion of processing the applicant, a CBP officer stamps the applicant's arrival and departure portions of the completed Form I-94, the passport and the customs declaration. The officer retains the arrival portion of the Form I-94 and returns the departure portion of the Form I-94 and passport to the applicant.

The departure portion of Form I-94 and passport is to be in the applicant's possession at all times until the applicant departs the United States. If an applicant boards a commercial conveyance to depart the United States, the transportation carriers are:

* To remove the departure portion of the Form I-94 from the applicant's passport.
                              * Annotate the reverse of the departure portion of the Form I-94 with the facts of the applicant's departure from the United States.
                              * Return the departure portion of the Form I-94 to the nearest CBP office.

It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure the transportation carriers collect the applicant's departure portion of the Form I-94. If an applicant departs the United States by way of land through Canada or Mexico, it is the applicant's responsibility to return the departure portion of the Form I-94 to CBP prior to his/her

Comment

You just keep telling yourself that and I am sure everything will be ok.
                                Cementpoof,
                                I am not a student, nor I am Canadian.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs