Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History/Goegraphy Lesson for Sugarpoof

Not only is Sugarpoof an expert in immigration - it also proports to be an expert on other countries, their political systems, and histories.

Quote"To Dragonbaby,
    Why does Quebec Canada's own province want to secede? I thought it was because the rest of Canada was NOT maintaining their sovreignty. Odd you did not mention any of this in your retort of false facts.
    Facts:
    Majority of Canandians live within 50 miles of the U.S. border because in reality the consider themselves USC's. If you don't agree go to any college and witness the shock that students from Canada give you when you tell them they have to take a language proficency test or that they have to get the I-20 signed before travel I always here the same thing: But I am Canadian, isnt that just like being a USC.
    People immigrate to Canada because they think it will then be easier to immigrate to the U.S."End Quote

The French in Quebec have wanted to seceed fron Canada since 1759 when the Fench lost the "Battle of Quebec", It has nothing to do with sovereignty with the rest of Canada. They feel betrayed by France and do not want to be part of BRITISH Canada. To this day, Quebec maintains the Napoleonic Code and a different culture than the rest of Canada. The reason Quebec has not been able to seceed and become"little France" is simply that they cannot afford to - they would lose the transfer payments from Canada (Quebec receives the highest $ amount of transfer payments among the ten provinces) - and neither France or the US wants to support them! The whole susession idea was squashed in the '70's when most of the multinationals pulled out and went west and Quebec actually did the monetary math. When Trudeau squashed the FLQ - Quebec realized they could not stand on their own.

" For the British, 1759 was indeed the "year of victories." Triumphs were reported from India, Africa, the West Indies and on the high seas. In North America, Forts Niagara, Ticonderoga and Crown Point fell, but the crowning achievement was the French loss of Québec."

If you are telling a Canadian that they have to take an English proficency test - you are wrong. Canadians speak English! I have never had to take an English proficency test, neither has my daughter, nor has anyone I have ever heard of who is Canadian had to take an English proficency exam. You only take one of those exams if you first language is not English. But it may be another way of getting money out of someone.

Canadians do not need a visa to go to school in the U.S.

"Citizens of Canada traveling to the U.S. do not require a nonimmigrant visa, except for the purposes as described below.

Foreign government officials (A), officials and employees of international organizations (G) and NATO officials, representatives and employees assigned to the U.S. as needed to facilitate their travel;
    treaty traders (E-1);
    treaty investors (E-2);
    fiance/es (K-1);
    children of fiancées (K-2);
    U.S. citizen's foreign citizen spouse, who is traveling to the U.S. to complete the process of immigration (K-3);
    children of a foreign citizen spouse (K-4) described above;
    spouses of lawful permanent residents (V-1) traveling to the U.S. to reside here while they wait for the final completion of their immigration process.
    children of spouses of lawful permanent residents (V-2) described above.

Permanent residents (aka landed immigrants) of Canada must have a nonimmigrant visa unless the permanent resident is a national of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), meets the VWP requirements, and is seeking to enter the US.

So why are you issuing Visas to Canadian students who are not on the above list? Must get money out of someone -I guess. The I-20 (SERVIS) is for visa holders. My child did not need a visa to go to college here(and she did not have to take the English test - and she also speaks French)and I did not need a Visa nor did I have to take the English test when I went to University here. Smells pretty brown to me. (And when a Canadian says " But I am Canadian, isnt that just like being a USC "they are laughing at you. You just don't get our humour)

The reason many Canadians (not the majority) may live close to the border is because of historic reasons (where the Coeur de Bois settled back in the 16/1700') climate - the further north one goes the colder it gets and terrain. In Edmonton (a large city about 8 hours from the border - about 500 miles) The ground freezes to a depth of at least 8 feet for about 6 months in the winter. Not much further north, one hits permafrost. It can get to -40 below 0 there in the winter. 3 hours north and it can get to -50 below 0. The further south one goes - the warmer it can be (IE Calgary gets Chinook winds and is warm with little snow). And southern BC has a climate similar to Washington State. So it is not wanting to be American that determines where they live but climate. And not much grows way up there in the tundra with the cariboo, polar bears and Iniut.

Quote "People immigrate to Canada because they think it will then (sic) be easier to immigrate to the U.S."End Quote

What people think is not necessarily what is.

Suggetions for Sugarpoof:

Start reading about the history of your country (which is directly linked to Canada and Mexico) and then expand to other places in the world.

Take the Canadian immigration test and see if you score enough points to apply. (I doubt you will have the courage to share your score withus)

Make sure you really KNOW what you are talking about before you make your staements. Back them up with FACTS.

Stop fibbing to Canadian students.

Let us know at what Embassy/consulate you are hired as a secretary so an all call can be placed so no one applies there (except those on MIchael's list - you deserve those).

Not only is Sugarpoof an expert in immigration - it also proports to be an expert on other countries, their political systems, and histories.

Quote"To Dragonbaby,
    Why does Quebec Canada's own province want to secede? I thought it was because the rest of Canada was NOT maintaining their sovreignty. Odd you did not mention any of this in your retort of false facts.
    Facts:
    Majority of Canandians live within 50 miles of the U.S. border because in reality the consider themselves USC's. If you don't agree go to any college and witness the shock that students from Canada give you when you tell them they have to take a language proficency test or that they have to get the I-20 signed before travel I always here the same thing: But I am Canadian, isnt that just like being a USC.
    People immigrate to Canada because they think it will then be easier to immigrate to the U.S."End Quote

The French in Quebec have wanted to seceed fron Canada since 1759 when the Fench lost the "Battle of Quebec", It has nothing to do with sovereignty with the rest of Canada. They feel betrayed by France and do not want to be part of BRITISH Canada. To this day, Quebec maintains the Napoleonic Code and a different culture than the rest of Canada. The reason Quebec has not been able to seceed and become"little France" is simply that they cannot afford to - they would lose the transfer payments from Canada (Quebec receives the highest $ amount of transfer payments among the ten provinces) - and neither France or the US wants to support them! The whole susession idea was squashed in the '70's when most of the multinationals pulled out and went west and Quebec actually did the monetary math. When Trudeau squashed the FLQ - Quebec realized they could not stand on their own.

" For the British, 1759 was indeed the "year of victories." Triumphs were reported from India, Africa, the West Indies and on the high seas. In North America, Forts Niagara, Ticonderoga and Crown Point fell, but the crowning achievement was the French loss of Québec."

If you are telling a Canadian that they have to take an English proficency test - you are wrong. Canadians speak English! I have never had to take an English proficency test, neither has my daughter, nor has anyone I have ever heard of who is Canadian had to take an English proficency exam. You only take one of those exams if you first language is not English. But it may be another way of getting money out of someone.

Canadians do not need a visa to go to school in the U.S.

"Citizens of Canada traveling to the U.S. do not require a nonimmigrant visa, except for the purposes as described below.

Foreign government officials (A), officials and employees of international organizations (G) and NATO officials, representatives and employees assigned to the U.S. as needed to facilitate their travel;
    treaty traders (E-1);
    treaty investors (E-2);
    fiance/es (K-1);
    children of fiancées (K-2);
    U.S. citizen's foreign citizen spouse, who is traveling to the U.S. to complete the process of immigration (K-3);
    children of a foreign citizen spouse (K-4) described above;
    spouses of lawful permanent residents (V-1) traveling to the U.S. to reside here while they wait for the final completion of their immigration process.
    children of spouses of lawful permanent residents (V-2) described above.

Permanent residents (aka landed immigrants) of Canada must have a nonimmigrant visa unless the permanent resident is a national of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), meets the VWP requirements, and is seeking to enter the US.

So why are you issuing Visas to Canadian students who are not on the above list? Must get money out of someone -I guess. The I-20 (SERVIS) is for visa holders. My child did not need a visa to go to college here(and she did not have to take the English test - and she also speaks French)and I did not need a Visa nor did I have to take the English test when I went to University here. Smells pretty brown to me. (And when a Canadian says " But I am Canadian, isnt that just like being a USC "they are laughing at you. You just don't get our humour)

The reason many Canadians (not the majority) may live close to the border is because of historic reasons (where the Coeur de Bois settled back in the 16/1700') climate - the further north one goes the colder it gets and terrain. In Edmonton (a large city about 8 hours from the border - about 500 miles) The ground freezes to a depth of at least 8 feet for about 6 months in the winter. Not much further north, one hits permafrost. It can get to -40 below 0 there in the winter. 3 hours north and it can get to -50 below 0. The further south one goes - the warmer it can be (IE Calgary gets Chinook winds and is warm with little snow). And southern BC has a climate similar to Washington State. So it is not wanting to be American that determines where they live but climate. And not much grows way up there in the tundra with the cariboo, polar bears and Iniut.

Quote "People immigrate to Canada because they think it will then (sic) be easier to immigrate to the U.S."End Quote

What people think is not necessarily what is.

Suggetions for Sugarpoof:

Start reading about the history of your country (which is directly linked to Canada and Mexico) and then expand to other places in the world.

Take the Canadian immigration test and see if you score enough points to apply. (I doubt you will have the courage to share your score withus)

Make sure you really KNOW what you are talking about before you make your staements. Back them up with FACTS.

Stop fibbing to Canadian students.

Let us know at what Embassy/consulate you are hired as a secretary so an all call can be placed so no one applies there (except those on MIchael's list - you deserve those).

Comment

Uh, oh...If your child is a Canadian citizen and attended college in the U.S. without obtaining an I-20 she was was an illegal alien. I don't think you know this, do you?

Just because a school says its ok does not mean it is ok. School are in the business of collecting money for an education (sic). I feel sorry for you and your daughter if she did commit the act you say she did. It very well could affect any future aspirations she has of working in the U.S.

Comment

Not according to USCIS - all our documents are in order. This was their decision not yours! And you are making your judgement without all of the information (which is none of your business - you are a non entity in cyber space).

Go to US Department of State website and find the information for yourself.

Comment

You don't seem to understand that there is a difference between a visa and an I-94. Just because a Canadian does not need a visa does not mean they don't have to have a properly annotated I-94.

Again if your daughter attended school in the U.S without obtaining an I-94 that was annoted F-1, M-1 or J-1 when she entered then she was here illegally.

The fact that you said "The I-20 (SERVIS) is for visa holders. My child did not need a visa to go to college here..." makes it sound as though you think she did not need an I-20.

If this is the case your daughters future as a potential amrican employee is in deep jeopardy.

Comment

Hm, everything I read on the state dept website said the I-20 was needed for visa holders only. Any Immigration attorneys out there?

Comment

All I can see is that Canadian students are no longer allowed to begin study in the USA without a valid I-20.

Comment

Marmaduk, do you have the link for that?

Comment

I will hold my tounge in an effort to dissuade further animosity

Comment

In an effort to comfort: Many immigration attorneys, given their par excellance , would have told you they DID NOT need an I-20. There really is no such thing as an immigration attorney anyway. Only attorneys in some other disicipline who practice immigration.

If the school told you they did not need an I-20 then they should be reported to USCIS and have their ability to issue the documents suspended.

I am not saying this to be cruel, only to emphasize how important competetance is:

Anyone who attends school without an I-20 (and Canadians are more susceptible than others as they don't need a visa to enter) is violating their status. A violation like this could prevent one from obtaining further U.S. immigration benefits like an H or L visa or a green card.

They did not invent SEVIS as a joke (of course that is still up for debate)

Comment

From the USA side:
                      http://inted.oie.buffalo.edu/igarc/canadians.htm
                      http://www.dartmouth.edu/~intl/updates/canadian.html

From the Canadian side:
                      http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/pubs/us...en.asp#working
                      (scroll down to studying in USA part)

Comment

Thanks, I know I shouldn't be so lazy

Comment

From ICE Website
                          BORDER SECURITY

SEVIS

Information for Students and Exchange Visitors

Information for Schools and Programs

September 1, 2004

FACT SHEET

I-901 SEVIS Fee for Visa Exempt Students and Exchange Visitors from Canada and Selected British Subject Residents

Beginning September 1, 2004, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will collect a fee to cover the costs for the continued operation of the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).

Some schools charge a fee by the year or the semester to support their foreign student/exchange visitor office and automated systems. These fees are not mandated nor collected by the U.S. government.

The I-901 Fee is mandated by the U.S. Congress to support the program office and the automated system that keeps track of students and exchange visitors and ensures that they maintain their status while in the United States.

International students and exchange visitors are subject to this fee which will be used to administer and maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), support compliance activities, and establish SEVIS Liaison Officers to provide information and assistance on the program.

Who is considered to be visa exempt?

Certain applicants who are citizens of Canada, Bermuda, Bahamian nationals or British subjects who reside in the Cayman Islands, or in the Turks and Caicos Islands do not need a visa to enter the United States. See CFR 212. 1. (A)

When do prospective students or exchange visitors pay the SEVIS fee?

Applicants who are visa exempt and who wish to apply for F-1, F-3, M-1, M-3, or J-1 status at a Port of Entry (POE) into the United States must pay the SEVIS fee before appearing at the POE. The fee must be paid to ensure that the payment can be deposited and recorded in SEVIS

It seems that if you are Visa exempt and you want to apply for a Visa you pay the SEVIS fee. It does not say you must apply for a visa (being visa exempt) or that you have to pay the SEVIS if you do not have a visa.

# ICE #

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is the largest investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). ICE seeks to prevent acts of terrorism by targeting the people, money and materials that support terror and criminal networks.

Comment

It also does not say a Canadian who wants to study in the U.S. doesn't need an I-20. Paying a SEVIS fee and obtaining an I-20 are two entirely different concepts.

Comment

Actually it does say you have to pay the SEVIS fee even if you are visa exempt:

When do prospective students or exchange visitors pay the SEVIS fee?

Applicants who are visa exempt and who wish to apply for F-1, F-3, M-1, M-3, or J-1 status at a Port of Entry (POE) into the United States must pay the SEVIS fee before appearing at the POE. The fee must be paid to ensure that the payment can be deposited and recorded in SEVIS

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation