Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diversity Visa granted. What next?

I have been granted a Diversity Visa after a successful interview.
    1. What happens once I hand my documents over to the immigration official at the port of entry?
    2. How long will it take to get my Greencard after I enter the US? I am going to Seattle.
    3. How long do I have to stay in the United States before I can leave to travel abroad? Can I leave before receiving my Green Card?
    4. Do I need a travel document if I want to leave before I receive my Greencard? Or can I use the USA immigrant visa which is in my passport for travel purposes?

Sorry for all the questions. Just thought I'd get it all out of the way at once. Thanks.

1. What happens once I hand my documents over to the immigration official at the port of entry?
    2. How long will it take to get my Greencard after I enter the US? I am going to Seattle.
    3. How long do I have to stay in the United States before I can leave to travel abroad? Can I leave before receiving my Green Card?
    4. Do I need a travel document if I want to leave before I receive my Greencard? Or can I use the USA immigrant visa which is in my passport for travel purposes?

Sorry for all the questions. Just thought I'd get it all out of the way at once. Thanks.

Comment

- Your fingerprints taken, few basic questions asked, and passport stamped with I-551 stamp, which is an evidence of your status of permanent resident.

- 2-4 weeks.

- You can leave as soon as your passport is stamped. You do not have to wait for physical Green Card.

- You don't need any other documents as long as your absence from the US is less than one year. If it is more than one but less than two years, you'll need reentry permit and physical Green Card.
      There will be no immigrant visa in your passport but rather above mentioned I-551 stamp. Your immigrant visa is a big envelope that you received in the US embassy/consulate after interview.

Also, don't forget to apply for Social Security Number and Driver License.

Congratulations and welcome to the US.

Comment

Aibolit, thank you so much for all the answers to my questions. Now I can stop stressing so much.

Comment

Congrats, just make sure you bring enough money with you to support yourself until you get settled and find a job,it ain't going to be easy to settle if you don't have family here, i live in seattle and i's very cold now, at this moment it's 22 degrees lol you won't feel your face hands and feet so wear warm clothes as well and wish you the best of luck.

Comment

jc, thanks for the advice!

Comment

Would you please share your experiences since your last post? We have just won the DV 2006 and would like to know more about what will happens when we come to USA? Do we get health insurances? Do we get Moneteray help from the govenment for a period of time? Do we get housing or food allowance for a period of time? Any information from those already here with DV visa would greately appreciated.
              Thanks.

Comment

The answer is no. You need to support yourself. Legal immigrants (other than refugees) are not eligible for benefits until they have been here at least five years. In an emergency you can get medical care, but if asked for it, you must pay it back, or risk your status by being a public charge.

Comment

Naz2005--Be careful if you leave the U.S. for any prolonged stays, even with a re-entry permit. There seems to be the idea among some green card holders that they can come here every few months, just to maintain the GC, then return home. However, it is up to you to prove that you have not abandoned your residency here, and the immigration official may ask you to do so any time you try to re-enter.

Comment

Naz, I have won a further placement in the DV lottery and awaiting an interview date at the US embassy in my country.
                    How long was the interview- was it intense- what sort of questions do they ask?

Comment

I have the same 4 points you raised in 2005. Would you please mention your experience? do you have update info?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Naz2005:

Sorry for all the questions. Just thought I'd get it all out of the way at once. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Dear Aibolit,
                        Do you have updated info about these questions? is it the same way as in 2005?
                        Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aibolit:

- Your fingerprints taken, few basic questions asked, and passport stamped with I-551 stamp, which is an evidence of your status of permanent resident.

- 2-4 weeks.

- You can leave as soon as your passport is stamped. You do not have to wait for physical Green Card.

- You don't need any other documents as long as your absence from the US is less than one year. If it is more than one but less than two years, you'll need reentry permit and physical Green Card.
                        There will be no immigrant visa in your passport but rather above mentioned I-551 stamp. Your immigrant visa is a big envelope that you received in the US embassy/consulate after interview.

Also, don't forget to apply for Social Security Number and Driver License.

Congratulations and welcome to the US. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation