Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can H1-B And F1 Visa Holders Earn Money Online?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can H1-B And F1 Visa Holders Earn Money Online?

There are plenty of students and working professionals who are in the United States on an H1-B or F1 visa respectively. Many such individuals follows blogs closely and are also bloggers themselves. Chances are that they have chosen to monetize their blog either through Adsense or other advertising channels. The question, asked by Confused early Saturday morning was whether such income earned through blogs was legitimate and allowed under our visa status.

A person on an H1B is not allowed to work on a 1099 at all. One who is on an EAD is allowed to work as an independent contractor if s/he is the I-485 dependent on the EAD and not the principal applicant for the Green Card, to be on the safe side. If the total time working was less than 180 days, there is possible hope to obtain the I-485 in the U.S. Otherwise, it adds complications and will not generally allow the person to obtain an approval of the I-485 from within the U.S.

So basically, if you are on a H1-B visa, you are authorized to work for only those employers that sponsor your visa. You cannot be self-employed and earn additional income and doing so will render you out-of-status. Note that the I-485 mentioned above is a preliminary step in your Green Card processing. So what about F1 students? I did some digging around since that would directly affect a lot of students that blog and monetize their blogs. One respondent on an immigration visa forum said the following in response to 1099-related question for F1 visa holders:

An F1 visa does not allow you to take off campus employment anywhere or anytime you want. You can only take employment under specific circumstances, such as through OPT or CPT and there are hardship provisions too. But generally, an F1 student cannot simply go out and find employment. This is illegal. I would encourage you not to do this because it is a violation of your status.

That a student cannot work off-campus [during semesters] is common knowledge but is your blog earnings also off-campus? Well, technically it is since you are getting paid as a consultant by another company e.g. Google, Text Link Ads, Yahoo, etc. You can only earn money outside of your on-campus employment if you earn interest off your investments (movable and/or immovable) or savings. Visible Blog recommends another (risky) way by which you can register a company and hire someone at minimum wages to ‘run’ your blog. Your ‘company’ would earn money and you get a ‘passive’ income. However, as the blog rightly mentions, it is a risk. And you definitely don’t want to do that unless you are earning thousands everyday.

So what do you do? Should you yank off your monetizing avenues off your blog? If you hate any kind of risk then probably that is the best thing to do. However, the bureaucratic mess that the BCIS and IRS are, chances are that they never share information. Better still, if you earn less than $600 [per advertising program], you don’t have to include that income in your tax returns. Most don’t earn that much. But if you do, you might want to either remove that option which I understand can be akin to killing the golden goose or simply transfer that account to your family in India. All revenue from that advertising option will be sent to them. But mind you, some advertising programs explicitly state that your website or blog should then be operated from that country.

Finally, if you are earning $600 or less per advertising program, you might slip under the radar but understand that it is a risk and it might only be a problem if you are planning on applying for a Green Card later on. This is not legal advice and I don’t profess any deep knowledge on immigration law so if you know better, please feel free to discuss in the comments.

For F1 visa and H1B visa holders who are considered Resident Aliens for tax purposes by the IRS, you might be interested in extra deductions that you can claim to increase your refund. http://www.greencardapply.com/...ws11/news11_0923.htm

There are plenty of students and working professionals who are in the United States on an H1-B or F1 visa respectively. Many such individuals follows blogs closely and are also bloggers themselves. Chances are that they have chosen to monetize their blog either through Adsense or other advertising channels. The question, asked by Confused early Saturday morning was whether such income earned through blogs was legitimate and allowed under our visa status.

A person on an H1B is not allowed to work on a 1099 at all. One who is on an EAD is allowed to work as an independent contractor if s/he is the I-485 dependent on the EAD and not the principal applicant for the Green Card, to be on the safe side. If the total time working was less than 180 days, there is possible hope to obtain the I-485 in the U.S. Otherwise, it adds complications and will not generally allow the person to obtain an approval of the I-485 from within the U.S.

So basically, if you are on a H1-B visa, you are authorized to work for only those employers that sponsor your visa. You cannot be self-employed and earn additional income and doing so will render you out-of-status. Note that the I-485 mentioned above is a preliminary step in your Green Card processing. So what about F1 students? I did some digging around since that would directly affect a lot of students that blog and monetize their blogs. One respondent on an immigration visa forum said the following in response to 1099-related question for F1 visa holders:

An F1 visa does not allow you to take off campus employment anywhere or anytime you want. You can only take employment under specific circumstances, such as through OPT or CPT and there are hardship provisions too. But generally, an F1 student cannot simply go out and find employment. This is illegal. I would encourage you not to do this because it is a violation of your status.

That a student cannot work off-campus [during semesters] is common knowledge but is your blog earnings also off-campus? Well, technically it is since you are getting paid as a consultant by another company e.g. Google, Text Link Ads, Yahoo, etc. You can only earn money outside of your on-campus employment if you earn interest off your investments (movable and/or immovable) or savings. Visible Blog recommends another (risky) way by which you can register a company and hire someone at minimum wages to ‘run’ your blog. Your ‘company’ would earn money and you get a ‘passive’ income. However, as the blog rightly mentions, it is a risk. And you definitely don’t want to do that unless you are earning thousands everyday.

So what do you do? Should you yank off your monetizing avenues off your blog? If you hate any kind of risk then probably that is the best thing to do. However, the bureaucratic mess that the BCIS and IRS are, chances are that they never share information. Better still, if you earn less than $600 [per advertising program], you don’t have to include that income in your tax returns. Most don’t earn that much. But if you do, you might want to either remove that option which I understand can be akin to killing the golden goose or simply transfer that account to your family in India. All revenue from that advertising option will be sent to them. But mind you, some advertising programs explicitly state that your website or blog should then be operated from that country.

Finally, if you are earning $600 or less per advertising program, you might slip under the radar but understand that it is a risk and it might only be a problem if you are planning on applying for a Green Card later on. This is not legal advice and I don’t profess any deep knowledge on immigration law so if you know better, please feel free to discuss in the comments.

For F1 visa and H1B visa holders who are considered Resident Aliens for tax purposes by the IRS, you might be interested in extra deductions that you can claim to increase your refund. http://www.greencardapply.com/...ws11/news11_0923.htm

Comment

So long as you maintain your status, you may run your own business on the internet, but may not work for another person or entity.

If you are self employed in addition to your other job or student status, you may earn profits, but not be paid a salary even if you are the sole ownner of the business.

You may also make money from online sales such as Ebay and may make money from online gambling, except that the gambling itself is illegal for all persons.

Comment

rent car

i have a antique car, i rent it in my country. with f1 visa, can i bring it to USA and rent it?

Comment

Companies that offer jobs and internships to students (H1-B or F1 visa holders) have several options. Are students renting something to someone or have they sold any property? If they rented it, are there any contracts? What was the fee? For what period? Where is it reflected in the budget? What other income do they have? What do the providers pay for the placement of equipment? What do they have in ths case? Why hasn't there been a single audit by the Audit Committee for all the years? At least we would give a conclusion on the list of companies that hire essay typer freelancers and college students. Does it comply with our common interests and with the current law?

Comment

No. Freelancing is considered “unauthorized work.” As an H1B visa holder, you are authorized to work only for the company on your Form I-129.
            desktop as a service | GoDaddy office 365 | sage cloud

Comment

In the age of information technology, you need to be aware of such topics. I'm talking about bitcoin. But unfortunately, many people are skeptical about everything new. You absolutely do not understand what the essence of this technology is and are trying to simply ridicule it. Everything new is a risk, you need to understand everything. At least know good exchanges and services where you can exchange usd to btc. Any ideas?
              Last edited by fkoeoisk; 10-22-2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

interesting . i will try this. Let play the GTA game now!
                https://technologywell.com/gta-vice-city-apk/

Comment

I am really impressed with your article! resize image

Comment

Originally posted by peterl View Post

That a student cannot work off-campus [during semesters] is common knowledge but is your blog earnings also off-campus? Well, technically it is since you are getting paid as a consultant by another company e.g. Google, Text Link Ads, Yahoo, etc. You can only earn money outside of your on-campus employment if you earn interest off your investments (movable and/or immovable) or savings. Visible Blog recommends another (risky) way by Descargar Whatsapp Plus 2021 APK which you can register a company and hire someone at minimum wages to ‘run’ your blog. Your ‘company’ would earn money and you get a ‘passive’ income. However, as the blog rightly mentions, it is a risk. And you definitely don’t want to do that unless you are earning thousands everyday.

Freelancing is considered “unauthorized work.

Comment

You must be aware of such subjects in the era of digital technology. Explore the cookie clicker pinnacle game, which is an online incremental game. Explore the game you will experience great graphics.

Comment

You can find many buy now pay later catalog instant approval online. Visit one!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation