Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Case Study: US Supreme Court decision regarding theft offenses & aggravated felonies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Study: US Supreme Court decision regarding theft offenses & aggravated felonies

SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES

I didn't post it for the sake of agreeing or disagreeing with USSC ruling.
    This is a case decided by Supreme Court.
    You may want to study it to better understand Court's opinion and reasoning behind it.
    Good reading for students of law, as well as for attorneys.

Comment

Actually it's an instance of Supreme Court overruling 9th Circuits' interpretation of law.

Comment

It got to Supreme Court because 9th Circuit remanded it to lower Courts.

It's not a Constitutional issue of any sorts and note that the opinion was delivered by Justice Breyer (minority Judge who joined majority).

I noticed LPR posters in past, raising the question of removability for aforementioned offenses and at later time came accross this USSC decision and posted it for all to read.
        I think it's good and useful/recent and may be of interest to law students as well as to practicing attorneys (I posted couple of other legal links as well, for the same reasons).

As to "joy-ride", you may be surprised but there are places where people actually steal cars(not just 'abet') and abandon them without getting charged for theft (and this after being caught), using exactly that line of defence: "Didn't want to steal , only wanted to joy-ride".
        It happens due to unintended deficiency in law.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation