Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N-600 here I come!

Thanks to those who commented on my first post! Now I realize that I may be able to apply for citizenship through my father instead of my soon-to-be-ex husband. As a Canadian who lived in the U.S. on a student visa and then greencard through marriage (in U.S. for half my life!), I am desperate to return "home" after realizing my roots are more in the U.S. than Canada.
    My father has lived in Canada for quite a few years now but fulfills the residency requirements for the N-600...now I just have to find him! He had met my mother while on the run from the Vietnam draft...actually, he abandoned service but there have since been pardons so hopefully that won't affect my application. He and my mother were married and I was conceived after a separation, although I think (hope!) they were still married at the time. Didn't meet him until my late *****, at which time I was told it was too late to apply for U.S. citizenship. Thanks to this website, I may finally have realized I've had the right to a U.S. passport this whole time! It could be the best news I've had in a while...my xmas present! Now, I'm going to work on finding my father....with the goal of moving back to the U.S. within 1-2 years.
    My divorce may not be final until then and I am currently with a common-law partner...we just had a child. Now my concern is my partner's status...when I want to move back, will our relationship qualify him for legal status?
    Wish me luck!
    Advice?

Thanks to those who commented on my first post! Now I realize that I may be able to apply for citizenship through my father instead of my soon-to-be-ex husband. As a Canadian who lived in the U.S. on a student visa and then greencard through marriage (in U.S. for half my life!), I am desperate to return "home" after realizing my roots are more in the U.S. than Canada.
    My father has lived in Canada for quite a few years now but fulfills the residency requirements for the N-600...now I just have to find him! He had met my mother while on the run from the Vietnam draft...actually, he abandoned service but there have since been pardons so hopefully that won't affect my application. He and my mother were married and I was conceived after a separation, although I think (hope!) they were still married at the time. Didn't meet him until my late *****, at which time I was told it was too late to apply for U.S. citizenship. Thanks to this website, I may finally have realized I've had the right to a U.S. passport this whole time! It could be the best news I've had in a while...my xmas present! Now, I'm going to work on finding my father....with the goal of moving back to the U.S. within 1-2 years.
    My divorce may not be final until then and I am currently with a common-law partner...we just had a child. Now my concern is my partner's status...when I want to move back, will our relationship qualify him for legal status?
    Wish me luck!
    Advice?

Comment

If your father is a United States citizen, I'm not sure it would matter if your father and mother had divorced at the time you were conceived, as long as your father legitimised the birth. Is his name on your birth certificate?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation