Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got my interview date in New York city after just 10 months but I have a problem...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my interview date in New York city after just 10 months but I have a problem...

Hey guys,

Today I received a NOA stating that my interview for AOS (marriage-based with K-1) is in July 8, just one year after I filed. According the their web page, NY city is currently working on cases filed more than two years ago so I dont know why they call me now. One weird thing: the interview is not on Federal Plaza but in Garden City. Anybody knows why?

My big problem: I am moving to Washington in a month. I post about my moving a couple weeks ago. The day of the interview I will be abroad (using my advance parole) and my hubby will be in federal training in Georgia. We wont be back in our Washington home until October. And then we will have to ask INS to move our AOS file from New York to Seattle.

Do you think there will be any problem if we postpone the interview for 4 months and also ask for a change of district office? One more thing, I will be abroad and wont return until the end of September. Any chance of having trouble entering to the US because I move my interview? Do I talk to one of those customer service representatives from INS or I ask to speak with an immigration officer when I call?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys,

Today I received a NOA stating that my interview for AOS (marriage-based with K-1) is in July 8, just one year after I filed. According the their web page, NY city is currently working on cases filed more than two years ago so I dont know why they call me now. One weird thing: the interview is not on Federal Plaza but in Garden City. Anybody knows why?

My big problem: I am moving to Washington in a month. I post about my moving a couple weeks ago. The day of the interview I will be abroad (using my advance parole) and my hubby will be in federal training in Georgia. We wont be back in our Washington home until October. And then we will have to ask INS to move our AOS file from New York to Seattle.

Do you think there will be any problem if we postpone the interview for 4 months and also ask for a change of district office? One more thing, I will be abroad and wont return until the end of September. Any chance of having trouble entering to the US because I move my interview? Do I talk to one of those customer service representatives from INS or I ask to speak with an immigration officer when I call?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

congratulations!

Comment

Thanks Vivek but I am not happy. I think this situation can create big problems.

Comment

If I were you I would have stayed in City for Interview because nothing is more important then getting your green card in the first place because I been there and done there with run around INS give it to people. However this is my opinion you got to do whatever is best for you. Call customer service tomorrow and see what they have to say. I hope things will work out for you guys.

Comment

I bought my airplane ticket last week. And even if I stay, my husband can not. HE will be in a federal base in training. They wont "release" him until october. For making things worse, he has another 3 months training to go but we still dont know where or when. I am worry this will make a bad bad impression on the INS people. I just hope they are understanding. What happens when the US citizen is in the military and is sent some place far away? My hubby is not in the military but he is a fed an sometimes they are sent away and transfer too.

Comment

I would recomend that you go to the apppt without your husband. At least then you can tell the person adjudicating why you actually cannot complete the interview, and/or about change of address. If you miss the interview your application will be deemed abandonded, and any letter writing now may not get to the right people in time. If your aplication is considered abandoned then you won't be able to get back in.

There are many people suffering such drastic results because USCIS doesn't process information properly. For example I have one person that changed her address from Texas, and even had her EAD application to Texas returned because they were no longer jurisdiction over her case. Later, after 12 years, she finally got her interview-- in Texas. She went to Charlotte to explain everything and they said that they did not have jurisdiction because the interview was in Texasm. Even if she had gone to Texas, she would not have been processed because they needed proof of residency in Texas, and she clearly could not prove that (she already notified them of residency in NC). So after 12 years her application was denied. DOn't let it happen to you.

Comment

FYI - when my husband and I were called back for an interview; it too was not in Federal Plaza. As you stated NYC is backed up by like 2 years, if not more. We waited over 6 years for that second interview. We first received an appt note saying May of 2005 in Fed Plaza. Then a few weeks later we received another notice saying November 2003 in Long Island. We were worried that something bad was going to happen bc our interview was in long Island. In the end, the interviewer told us it's just that NYC is so back up that other less busy districts are taking over their cases. Don't be alarmed - be thankful at least that it didn't take 6 years. Good luck with all the other stuff!

Comment

Cayita

Keep your appointment and go w/o your hubby. Explain the whole situation, they might understand it. Garden City is much better than Federal Plaza Office. Things go fast at Garden City. My advice is 'never postpone your interview w/uscis' unless you have real emergency.
                  Good luck!

Comment

Cayita, go by yourself to the interview and try to take some kind of notification that your husband has recieved to go for training so you can prove it, they might be skeptical if you dont take any proof with you jusifying your huubands' absence.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation