Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a lawyer required?

I have sent my N-400 already but on some other discussion lists, they are saying that if you don't have a straight forward N-400, you better have a lawyer. Not straight forward meaning if you have answered any questions with yes in part 10, good moral character.

Is that really so? Yes I have answered yes to a few questions and I have included the documentation I have about it, CIS mist likely have records themselves, is this an automatic denial because I don't have a lawyer?
    SEMPER VIPER / Army Strong!

I have sent my N-400 already but on some other discussion lists, they are saying that if you don't have a straight forward N-400, you better have a lawyer. Not straight forward meaning if you have answered any questions with yes in part 10, good moral character.

Is that really so? Yes I have answered yes to a few questions and I have included the documentation I have about it, CIS mist likely have records themselves, is this an automatic denial because I don't have a lawyer?

Comment

John,
      You don't need a lawyer to fill N-400 form.
      Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

Comment

Thanks Mohan, I just got mad because this guy said "Getting a Greencard, is easier then getting Citizenship. If you don't have a straight forward N400, then get an attorney. "

But why? Yes I had to answer yes to questions that I was arrested and I was detained in jail, I served in the military, I applied for relief from removal. Answer yes to these will deny your application? People just talk!

Comment

John,
          that should be answered correctly, You were detained and deportation proceedings were started against you. but relief was granted.

Comment

that should be answered correctly, You were detained and deportation proceedings were started against you. but relief was granted.

Mohan. let me ask you; I need to know if the evidence I enclosed would be enough for them...

First question asks that if you were ever arrested by a government agent, law enforcement etc.

I attached a seperate sheet, explained it and I also enclosed my Notice to Appear before the immigration judge paper.

Second was asking about if I was ever in jail, I put the immigration judge's order that released me from custody.

Third was asking if I was ever applied for relief, and I attached the final order of immigration judge granting resident status.

did I have to PUT OUT MORE INFORMATION or this was enough?

Comment

your answer should be yes and you should write see attachement ... you are good.

Comment

A lawyer is not really needed in your case. A attorney could assist your case, but really, it's pretty much straight forward. You were arrested for which reason? Obviously not a substantial fact that you were granted relief from removal and you served in the military active duty? right and three years, so you're fine!

Comment

It was for a student visa overstay. I am still serving active duty overseas, I have sent my application almost a month ago, I got USPS receipt but not a NOA, I am wondering if there is a problem. It is the military naturalization...

Comment

I have a question bushmaster and i suspect you can shed some light for me. How does a non-us citizen/ non-greencard holder get into the military etc. Especial someone who is serious about serving for at least 7years!

I have long heard that is is possible in a few exceptional cases but, i have not found anybody who knows the facts. I am hoping that you or somebody else on this board has some answers.

Comment

John, the fact that you entered the military and serving active should in itself be of a great help to you. Obviously the military is the government and you don't need a lawyer. Remember that you're applying on the basis of military and if your offense was not considered bad by the military it sure will not be over analyzed by the BCIS so I would not worry too much. Talk to your local base JAG. Secondly you were granted a green card because your case was legit. Now it would be a waste of time for BCIS to spend time on your prison time since they cleared you and the military did the same.

Military naturalization is priority 1 in the citizenship process. Nebraska has a special group to deal with it. It's expedited because firstly you're already serving the country and you were cleared by the military.

Wifey,

You have to show evidence of permanent residency to enter the military. Sometimes if you tell them you're waiting to become an LPR, show evidence of an interview etc. They don't accept I-588B employment card. Recruiters dont know the rules, they just follow a piece of paper that says US Passport/Naturalization certificate or I-551 card. I'm talking on the Air Force side; other branches I'm sure follow the same music but they might have other. Hope that helps.

Comment

Only if I could receive this NOA sometime .... I don't even know what they did with my application. Processed it, lost it, shredded it, who knows...

Comment

Having a military clearance is a big deal. Understood that they will still fingerprint you etc but look at the N-400 form or the G-325. 90% info can be found on the same papers for someone applying for a green card. The military doesnt just give clearances. John must have a higher than just 'confidential' clearance. The background is investigated more thoroughly than the BCIS. So 80% of the background investigation is already done.

The logic is pretty clear here. BCIS investigates but they know that a military member already has had a thorough background check for clearance levels.

Comment

Thanks for the time you take to drop all this info. In the millitary naturalization process, one thing that is different is that you get a background check done before you apply through your service, it took me 3 months to get that done. This doesn't of course mean INS won't investigate my case throughly but I am thinking it may add to the speedy process.

On the other hand, IT IS BOTHERING ME THAT I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A NOA since they received the application.

I also applied for a name change and they say that might lenghten the process.

I have a I-751 also in process and I am assuming my interview might be a tough one with all the questions... I am sure they will pitch questions from my marriage (I-751 related) and my removal case.

Comment

To test your knowledge about US Civic and History (one of the requirements for Naturalization) INS randomly selects 10 questions out of their list of questionnaire. Applicant needs to answer at least 6 questions correctly out of 10 in order to pass this test. Lately it has come to my attention that INS is asking some questions which are not in their list of questionnaire, but these questions are in their computer system for testing which only INS officer can see. Thus, in order to prepare you, I'm posting those questions here. I know the answer to these questions, but I'm not going to post yet until other will try to answer on this first. Some are already in the list, but they are somewhat twisted to understand. So, here are those questions-

[1] Highest law of the land?
                              [2] International league of cooperation?
                              [3] Color of top strip of US flag?
                              [4] One of the guaranteed rights by Ist Amendment?
                              [5] When does Vice President vote in Senate?

hi Sammy I know it's been quite a while since u posted this info...i would just like to ask the answers to your questions ang give it to my husband who's waiting for his N400 interview that will hopefully come soon.This will be a big help for him thanks a lot...by the way he is also a military.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation