Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Lost Need Help Please

Hi everyone im a new member to this site i just wanted to explain my situation see if i have any options.

I immigrated from Lebanon back in 1988 i was six years old at the time. My father, mother and I left because of the persecution of Christians by Muslims. There was a huge war that had tore my country apart. I entered the U.S. legally through a visitors visa. My fathers brothers who were already here decided to put my father straight to work for them, Never once telling him to go apply for any sort of Perminent residency or citizenship for either him me or my mother. So here i am, an Elementary school graduate, and a highschool graduate of the Class of 2000. I am now 22 years old with no S.S. no Green Card, No drivers license, no picture I.D. no employment, no aid for school. I have fallen through a crack in the system and i need help. If anyone can give me any advice i would greatly appreciate it. I couldnt really do anything for my self at 6 or 7. I was still watching sesame Street and not worrying about my Future. Thank you.

Hi everyone im a new member to this site i just wanted to explain my situation see if i have any options.

I immigrated from Lebanon back in 1988 i was six years old at the time. My father, mother and I left because of the persecution of Christians by Muslims. There was a huge war that had tore my country apart. I entered the U.S. legally through a visitors visa. My fathers brothers who were already here decided to put my father straight to work for them, Never once telling him to go apply for any sort of Perminent residency or citizenship for either him me or my mother. So here i am, an Elementary school graduate, and a highschool graduate of the Class of 2000. I am now 22 years old with no S.S. no Green Card, No drivers license, no picture I.D. no employment, no aid for school. I have fallen through a crack in the system and i need help. If anyone can give me any advice i would greatly appreciate it. I couldnt really do anything for my self at 6 or 7. I was still watching sesame Street and not worrying about my Future. Thank you.

Comment

You didn't have a choice at 6, but you did at 18. You've been hanging around here for 4 years all by your own choice.

You've obviously learned all the platitudes such as "falling through the cracks" and how to play "victim". Uh, uh. You were pulled through by your father who chose to violate our laws. In order to get a visitor's visa, your dad had to prove he was not an intending immigrant by showing strong ties (financial, family) to his homeland. Hard to see how he could do that without lying about his intent.

Comment

You're here illegally. As AliBA said, you've had a choice to do something for awhile and have chosen to do nothing. Please report to the nearest DHS office and get deported.

Comment

Don't listen to these bitter posts Duda.
          Unfortunately, you only have a couple of choices at this point to become legal (of course you could always go back to your home country, but assuming you post here and the rest of your family is in the US, you probably don't want that)
          You have accrued four years of unlawful presence (overstay), that time started counting from the day you turned 18. The only way that overstay is forgiven in an application to adjust status (AOS) to get a greencard (GC) aka, permanent residency (LPR) is through a petition by an immediate family member.
          It seems that leaves two choices for you (if I understood you correctly that your parents do not have a legal status either)
          You could get married to a USC (United States Citizen)(and please to someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, I am not advising you to commit visa fraud )and have your spouse petition for you.
          Or you could wait until your USC brother turns 21 and have him petition for you.
          Unfortunately you missed 245(i) and it is questionable if such an amnesty/orderly immigration act will be re-instated. However, if another orderly immigration act passes, you might be able to adjust status without using the two options mentioned above.

Just one word of caution though. DO NOT at any point in time impersonate a USC or use a ss# of a USC, that will make you unable to adjust status ALLTOGETHER.

Anyway, sorry I don't have more optimistic advice for you, but I wish you the best of all luck in trying to get things sorted out.

And a word to AliBA and NJATTORNEY:

Do you have any idea how confusing immigration law is to someone new??? So much so that even 90% of USCs believe that if a non-USC to get marries a USC the non-USC instantly, miraculously becomes a citizen as well. What 18 year old would be so well versed in immigration law that they would know that they accrue unlawful presence starting with their 18th birthday? And even if one did, what 18 year old would leave their entire family to move back to a country that is totally unfamiliar to him and where he doesn't know a soul?????!! If anyone is at fault, than its this person's parents not him/her him/herself!! And since nothing can be done about the past it is better to focus on the future in a constructive manner!

Comment

Silviamka i just want to thank you very much for your detailed and very informative reply to my post. I appreciate the sincerety and the time you took to answer some of my questions. You have made my day with that reply all the negitivity from the other two posts put me in a bad mood. I thank you again.

Comment

silviamka, I'll be the first to admit immigration law is not easy (still learning as I go along), but the fact of the matter is that dud is here illegally. If I was a little flippant with my response, I'm sorry. However, we cannot encourage illegals to do whatever they want, and then ask for help. Ignorance of the law is not a defense.

Comment

NJATTORNEY

yes, I agree that ignorance of the law is not a valid defense for breaking it. For that reason, I see the purpose of this forum in educating people so they cannot claim ignorance, but make wise choices in concordance WITH the law instead.

I could start a philosophical argument with you about the origin of law, and the moral standards it uphelds, but that would ineviteable result in more conflict, which this forum doesn't need.

I do not disagree with your standpoint - on the contrary, I believe a countries laws need to be upheld.However,there are various ways to go about making a difference. The one I choose is education, empathy, and supporting the right choice, not judgement and condemnation.

You, or anyone else for that matter, cannot expect people to listen to your arguments and/or follow your advice, unless you are willing to work with them and at least try to see things from their perspective (that doesn't mean you have to agree with them)

I know you came to this forum to learn more about immigration law, which is the same reason that I first starting reading this site. I hope you obtain lots of information and learn many valueable things. I do wish that you soften up a little bit at some point,and try to give something back, by showing people kindly the right direction. I know there must be a reason behind your decision to become a lawyer. Maybe,you could use whatever passion of yours it was to do some good in this forum, and hopefully, in your immigration practice some day - the world of immigration lawyers could really use someone to improve their reputation

Comment

Hi

Cant you stay on at college or school to get a degree, then try to get an empolyer to sponser you? Until your relative is a USC

Whilst I do feel somewhat aorry for you being brought to the US at such a young age. You are now 22years old and must face up to the concequences.

For instance, you cannot get a driving licence? soc sec number? so how can you afford to live?

If you do drive (with no licence you will not have car insurance) and have an accident that is deadly, what about the poor family? They can hardly make a claim against you for pain, suffering or the death of a loved one.

While illigal you will be living in fear. If ever you are questioned by the police. They will check if you are legal and you will then face up to a 10year ban (or lifetime ban) from coming back to the states

I truly would not wish to be in your place

I do hope there is a quick way for you to become legal for your own sake

Comment

Silviamka--Dud may not know immigration law, but his family certainly should--they've been avoiding it for 18 years. It's they who got him into this, and they who should get him out. Unless his Dad's a total dumba-- (I've never met a Lebanese who was, and I grew up in a Lebanese Christian community in Michigan), his Dad was well aware of immigration law, well enough that he knew how to scam a visitor's visa. One of my Lebanese students in Dubai was also well enough versed in U.S. law to arrange to have his wife give birth TWICE on visits to the U.S. to get U.S.citizenship. Don't kid yourself--no Lebanese is THAT naive about U.S. immigration law. If they bend or break it, it's by choice.

Dud already said, as I recall, that he couldn't afford college, and didn't have an SS or a job, so that makes one reasonably wonder what it is he's been doing since he left high school. If he's been able to go to college or work, then he knows enough about immigration law to know how to get around it. If he hasn't been able to do either, which he implied, he knew about that at least 4 years ago. And he knew enough to know that a fraudulent marriage would get him a green card. Pretty hard to believe he wasn't aware of his problems 4 years ago, or even earlier, if he wanted to get a driver's license. But just NOW, at the age of 22, he decides he needs to get legal?! Pull the other one. There's more going on here than some naive kid not knowing immigration law. Dud's whole message reeks of "victimhood", from religious persecution (actually, Lebanese Christians at least nominally ran the country in cooperation with other religious groups until the civil war, and you can bet if they thought a plea of persecution would pass muster, his family would have applied for asylum), to the plea at the end about watching Sesame Street when he was 6 or 7 and not being responsible for his status. He may not have been then, but his parents were, and now he is.

Comment

Silviamka--I can also pretty well promise you that unless Dud is in an extremely small town, with no other Lebanese families, that others in the immigrants community could have given him the necessary advice, and that furthermore, some of the best (and sharpest) lawyers in town are Lebanese Christians. So, don't waste too many tears for him.

Comment

ok i see the point that your all getting to that im breaking the law and im a horrible person, but can u explain to me what i was able to do at the age of 18? i actually went down to the social security dept in my town when i was 17 and tried to get something and was turned down. I went through HIGHSCHOOL with an osis number and graduated. I went to lawyer after lawyer after lawyer and all i was told of was the dream act which was passed after my 22 birthday so that pretty much left me out, and after paying over 1000 in lawyer fees just for conceltation all i was told was to get married. Now im sorry but even though i am illegal, i grew up in this country i have spent 17 years of my live here and i am not looking to break the law now after going 17 years without one black spot on my life. Please explain to me what i could have done when i was 18? and yes my parents are Dumba~~ because they did absolutely nothing for me when we got here or themselves. As i stated before my uncles never took it upon themselves to help me even though they went through all the proper procedures for themselves. The only people who ever took care of me were my friends from Highschool and people from my neighborhood. As for the 4 years after i turned 18, i actually worked for both of my uncles who own businesses in this country and pay their taxes, and you know what they never paid me a dime for the year each that i spent working for them. And to answer another question no i do not drive, because A) i do not have a drivers license, and B) I am not that dumb. And please for all those who think i am playing victim, im really not, i was just explaining my situation so i could get some sort of answers as to what i should do. I dont remember any classes in highschool that taught, HEY! if your an illegal alien this is what you should do! i dont know if that class is available where you guys are from, but where im from that never happened. Oh and by the way just a little funny story, in my American History Class we were given a pop Citizenship test and Guess who the only one to get a 98 on the test was????

Comment

Basically, what you were told was the truth. There is no way for you to get legal other than an amnesty or marriage. You seem to want answers that just aren't there. It's a shame your family left you out on a limb, but that's what they did. There may be a guest worker program of some sort if any of the legislation now proposed gets enacted, but quite likely nothing that's going to help you stay in the U.S. on a permanent basis.

At 18, what you possibly could have done was return to Lebanon and apply for college in the U.S. Or, have you considered Canada? Right now, if what you said is true, your relatives have a nice indentured servant in you--they probably don't pay any taxes for you, and they could have helped your Dad legalize 4 years ago which would have helped you.

Comment

Hmmmm... if Dud got busted for his illegal status and had to stand in front of any judge, woudn't they just get him a green card? Surely it woudn't make sense to send him to Lebanon, and it also doesn't make sense keeping this young man deprived from what you could call basic necessities.

Comment

As far as I'm aware (I'm not a lawyer), the courts might only suspend deportation if it would cause extreme hardship to a U.S. citizen relative, which in his case, essentially would mean a wife.

There's a case of 4 Hispanic kids, the "Wilson 4", that's being decided today. Their deportation has been postponed for 3 years while the judge gave Congress a chance to pass an amnesty. That would give him a good idea of what his chances would be. From press reports, even their lawyer thinks they'll probably be deported, and suggests they may have to take voluntary departure so that they'll be able to return eventually.
                              http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatD...VISORY.DOC.htm

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation