Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help!

I am a USC who met a Canadian on line. After a long period of getting to know each other, I flew to meet her in person. As your guessing, we fell in love. She then came to visit me driving across the border. All they asked her for was her drivers licence; they did not issue her any documents or ask her when she was planning on returning to Canada. I do know that she is only allowed to be here for 6 months. We have decided that we want to get married. What happens if we get married and she just stays in the US? Will we be able to change her status? Do we have to get married before her 6 month stay is up? What if we do not get married before such time? Does she have to return to Canada? or can we do all this from the US? and what do we do? Any positive input appreciated.

I am a USC who met a Canadian on line. After a long period of getting to know each other, I flew to meet her in person. As your guessing, we fell in love. She then came to visit me driving across the border. All they asked her for was her drivers licence; they did not issue her any documents or ask her when she was planning on returning to Canada. I do know that she is only allowed to be here for 6 months. We have decided that we want to get married. What happens if we get married and she just stays in the US? Will we be able to change her status? Do we have to get married before her 6 month stay is up? What if we do not get married before such time? Does she have to return to Canada? or can we do all this from the US? and what do we do? Any positive input appreciated.

Comment

is it wrong

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Atty.

Comment

So what forms would we need and what would we need to do so she can stay? We want to get married.

Comment

Hi Carpenterman,

I am in the same situation as you are, but only reversed.
            I am a USC who met and Canadian man and I am living in Canada. After 7 years we are looking at getting married.
            I am no expert nor do I even pretend to know much outside of what I read and research. Someone here I am sure, will correct me if I am wrong. But I have heard as well as read that the US is not too happy about americans marrying in the US to residents of other countries without proper proceedures followed. I would believe that you would need to file a Fiancee/Finace Visa first off to marry in the US. Then there are documents to file which must be completed. I have no doubt that those here on this disscusion board can lead you in the right direction. Canada prefers the same process if someone's purpose to come here is to marry.
            I would suggest that if the two of you wish to remain in the US permanently, then make sure you go about getting married in the right way to save yourself any headache, paper traffic jams, or fines along the way.

Best wishes to you and yours!

LJC

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CARPENTERMAN2007:
              So what forms would we need and what would we need to do so she can stay? We want to get married. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
              If you married in the US, follow these proceedures along with filing the I-130. Good luck
              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

My opinion is that you have to file a Fiancee Petition I-129 but she must return to Canada and wait there for the approval, after she get her visa stamped in her passport at the American Consulate (in 3-4 months ) she can enter US and marry you and then apply for adjustment of Status filing I-130, I-485, I-765.

All the best!

www.USImmigrationForAll.com
                Frank G. Becker & Associates
                www.USImmigrationForAll.com

Comment

Stay and adjust, the most popular solutions and I see no red flags that would cause an issue.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation