Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traveling with exp green card

My friend just realized that her green card exp and she made plans to travel out of the country to visit her sick grandmother that raised her. Can she travel without problems. At the same time she has decided to apply for citizenship instead of renewing green card-is that a wise move. She is eligible for citizenship having lived here for over 15 yrs.

My friend just realized that her green card exp and she made plans to travel out of the country to visit her sick grandmother that raised her. Can she travel without problems. At the same time she has decided to apply for citizenship instead of renewing green card-is that a wise move. She is eligible for citizenship having lived here for over 15 yrs.

Comment

I'd imagine she'll definitely get a visit to secondary inspection on return. It's not a good idea to try and enter with an out-of-date card but the CBP should be able to look up her status in their computers to verify she is an LPR. The card may expire but the status doesn't. If they can't verify, they should parole her into the country and let an IJ decide if she's an LPR still. It would be a good idea for her to take as much documentation proving her life here in the USA ie. bank account, mortgage/rent payments etc.

One major reason for obtaining US Citizenship. You never have to worry about your immigration status ever again.
      "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

thanks for reply. Will also try to ask someone at USCIS if thats possible.

Comment

Most likely she will be refused boarding when she tries to leave.

Go the the U.S. Embassy or Consulate and get a boarding letter permitting you to travel to the U.S.

You will obviously get sent to secondary inspection and probably sent to a deferred inspection appointment.

Comment

I would suggest getting the GC renewed and going with the I 551 stamp in the meantime.

Comment

In talking to other folks who renewed their greencard-I was told the process takes about 3 months. If all goes well isnt that the same time period it takes to get citizenship?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation