Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best of two worlds?

I am an international businessman who has been dating an american woman for 9 months now. we have planned marriage in the next 3 months.
    Even though I will want to apply for permanent us residency, i fear the application period could curtail my several but neccessary foreign travels.
    Once i have made an application for u.s. permanent residence, how long will i have to remain in the us before i can start traveling? i currently have a b1/2 non immigrant visa.

I am an international businessman who has been dating an american woman for 9 months now. we have planned marriage in the next 3 months.
    Even though I will want to apply for permanent us residency, i fear the application period could curtail my several but neccessary foreign travels.
    Once i have made an application for u.s. permanent residence, how long will i have to remain in the us before i can start traveling? i currently have a b1/2 non immigrant visa.

Comment

Once you file the paperwork for Permanent Residency you will not be able to enter the U.S. as a nonimmigrant visitor. If you do then you may be guilty of an unlawful entry and your green card application could be voided. A PR application is considered "abandonded" if the beneficiary leaves the U.S. while the application is penidng.

You will have to wait until an applicaiton for advance parole (form I-131) is approved. This will allow you to legally leave and reenter the U.S. without "abandoning" your application.

Comment

I-131 approval takes 1-2 months currently. See https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/js...d=cIThd-P-j1fd

Comment

you can file for advance parole along with the rest of your application. i know every case is a little different -- and depends on the state and service center you will be applying at. i am in BUSY california and got my application and stamp approved in less than 60 days (from submitting, to interview, to receiving my GC in the mail!) pretty fast!

Comment

thanks california, aibolit, sugarpuff. I will be applying in TN. all i had wanted, actually, was to be able to enter, and re-enter the us as i have been doing for the last several years (up to 4 times a year) and still be able to earn myself a green card. i make more money outside the us than i think i may if i should be spending all my time in the us. i want to be able to provide for my new family (she has kids) at the same time being able to maintain my (somewhat) higher living standards that i am used to outside the us. yes, i could do with a different non-immigrant visa (i use a b1/2 now) but if i have the right to a green card will i be abusing the system if i apply for one and do not reside in the us for more than say 6months in a year?

Comment

A green card is intended for permanent residency in the U.S. only, so even if you got one, you're likely to very quickly lose it if you remain outside the U.S. frequently and can't show the inspector proof of your intent to remain here permanently (house, bank accounts, family, etc.). Don't know what impact having and losing a green card would have on your business travel here. Maybe someone else could comment.

Comment

I do have already an SS from studying in the US several years ago. I do have bank accounts, given her a debit card to one of my accounts here in the US and intend buying a house we can live in together. If I can set up a business here I will consider staying here for a longer part of the year as I go around the world for 2 weeks to a month each time I leave.
                By already having an SS, and not being out of status at the time of applying for US Permanent residency/advance parole would I spend less time waiting for my documentations?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation