Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian student in US marrying american...procedures?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian student in US marrying american...procedures?

Have some concerns as one of my good friends, currently at a bible school in Minnesota, just got engaged to an American she met at a church there. She is Canadian with no relative ties at all to US, and wondering what they have to do, to legally marry! I have found so far that getting married in Canada first is a big nono, as the travel across the border would then imply intent to immigrate, but what are the general rules...if they CAN even legally marry in the US. She would be on a student visa having spent the 1st of 2 years down there. She of course doesn't qualify for any technical work visa's etc. He works in an auto parts shop. This would be a marriage of love, not convenience (I believe she would rather live up here, but he is strongly against it), but can it be done and what would the rules be? Their plan is to permanently live in Minnesota.

TIA
    Dave

Have some concerns as one of my good friends, currently at a bible school in Minnesota, just got engaged to an American she met at a church there. She is Canadian with no relative ties at all to US, and wondering what they have to do, to legally marry! I have found so far that getting married in Canada first is a big nono, as the travel across the border would then imply intent to immigrate, but what are the general rules...if they CAN even legally marry in the US. She would be on a student visa having spent the 1st of 2 years down there. She of course doesn't qualify for any technical work visa's etc. He works in an auto parts shop. This would be a marriage of love, not convenience (I believe she would rather live up here, but he is strongly against it), but can it be done and what would the rules be? Their plan is to permanently live in Minnesota.

TIA
    Dave

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs