Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get help for my disabled daugther

We lived in USA for some 14 years but I was deported from the US, 5 years ago, even though we begged the Judge not to deport me because my daugther was going to suffer extreme and unusual hardship.
    Andrea an American Citizen has down syndrome, some lung dificulties and alzheimers. Today five years later i can say that is true, she is currently suffering extreme and unusual hardship, she has not been able to attend school, there are no medical facilities appropriate for her, nor therapy in English her native language.
    Andrea has no future in Guatemala.}

How can we go back to USA or Canada?

We lived in USA for some 14 years but I was deported from the US, 5 years ago, even though we begged the Judge not to deport me because my daugther was going to suffer extreme and unusual hardship.
    Andrea an American Citizen has down syndrome, some lung dificulties and alzheimers. Today five years later i can say that is true, she is currently suffering extreme and unusual hardship, she has not been able to attend school, there are no medical facilities appropriate for her, nor therapy in English her native language.
    Andrea has no future in Guatemala.}

How can we go back to USA or Canada?

Comment

You can pray to God. Isn't that your prefered method?

Comment

Thanks Templar, and you are rigth that is my prefered method, Is like when I get up and the morning and go to work, I pray that the Lord take care of me and my family, of course I am the one who has to drive, the one who has to interact with people but i ask that he provide me with his grace, with his blessings. When in need he resolves, when we think we are lost aand in despair he is there with me to take care of me, Whenever he thinks is his time for us to return to USA he will open doors, no matter what people think and say if want us there he will touch hearts so we will be welcome as his children, that we are. But if he does not think the best for us is to return other doors will open. I am living testimony of that.

let me share a little story, When I lived in USA my daugther was constantly sick (admitted in one year alone 79 times) when we returned to this country, she got sick once and she was not admitted to the ER because she is from other country and we had no money to pay, so I cried and ask my Lord to heal her, in five years she has never been sick again,. I can write about of the things the Lord does, and has done in our lives as a matter of fact I can certainly share it, it is out of this world.

Comment

Trying to work out how English could be her native language, but it does not matter.

As a US Citizen she does not need to show extreme hardship to enter the US, just a Passport.

There are many ways to emigrate to the US, but the normal ones are through Family or Work sponsorship.

Family require parent or sibling, your daughter could sponsor you when she reaches 21.

Work requires a willing prospective Employer and usually the equivalent of a US 4 year degree.

Canada is different, uses a point system, you can go online and see if your qualifications reach the required threshold.

You have a ban probably, 10 years, to the US. There are waivers in limited circumstances.

Comment

Bsanchez,

I don't know a lot about immigration issues, but I know about disabilities and related problems.

I don't think that your daughter can sponsor you even if she is 21, since she has Down's
            and for the safty of the children you place them under disability ( I hope that word is right, I had to look it up in the dictionary, for all the Germans here who have a better translation I am looking for the word " entmuendigen lassen" or " vertragsunfaehig erklaeren lassen").
            It is not only for the safty, it is also that usually Down's comes with mental impairment and therefore these children can not sign legal papers.

Under which medical problems does you child suffer right now which can not be treated in the country you are living at the moment?

Where is the father of the child?

Which US hopspital was you child treated last?

Why can she not attend school?

Comment

I really appreciate your reply;

Under which medical problems does you child suffer right now which cannot be treated in the country you are living at the moment?

Andrea was diagnosed with Down Syndrome, along with that she has to attend hearth check ups because she has an artificial valve, in her heart which will need to be remove later. She has thyroids problems and need medication for it daily. Her Dr. in the US found some indications of Alzheimer's; she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last year.

She does not qualify for any kind of medical insurance due to pre-existing conditions. Public hospitals are not free for foreign citizens, If you pay the low rates of public hospitals, you need to bring your own linen, your own cleaning supplies to a place that may likely has running water from 10AM to 2PM,
              We cannot afford private hospitals or private Doctors, No one keeps records of wherever treatment was done before, and once my daughter was given a different dose of the medication she needs for her thyroids problem. Another time we could not get her medication because the employees of the hospitals were on strike for two months, so she had no meds for it, and again no insurance will cover such. And believe strikes are quite common here.

Where is the father of the child?

I am the father, my wife and I are both professionals, the issue is that Americans are not quite welcome here, and my behavior reflex a different culture, besides I fall into the overqualified category, because of my training and education in USA. I been here for five years and not able to get a job, however I have my own consulting company and we can have a good life, for my wife my son and I However Andrea has no future here.

Which US hospital was you child treated last?

Primary Children's Hospital, Utah Valley Hospital

Why can she not attend school?

When we arrived, we found out that public schools are for local citizens only, if there is space she could be a pay student. Then we enrolled her in a private school, after 3 months the Principal called us, and told us she was sorry but the parents of the other kids did not want their kids to interact with a retard, so it was Andrea or they will take their kids away, The principal ask us to take Andrea away.
              Andrea's school was in English she has a very hard time to learning Spanish, schools are in Spanish, the ones in English are quite expensive for us, enrolling fee US$6000.00 plus US$1000.00 per month and they have no programs for children with special needs, so she has been rejected twice. My son attends an American like school but they did not accept Andrea as well.

There are no programs for job skills or integration to society, so poor people with children with disabilities just let them wonder around, many of them are physically or sexually abused since there are no laws to protect them. Rich people with children with disabilities hide them. (just FYI; the penal codes here today state that if a girl under 15 gets raped but she had bad reputation there are no crime to be prosecuted, if the girls had good reputation the male offender must marry her to defeat going to jail) believe or not it is the law system.

We tried every single year to find an school for her, we offer to send an aide with her, (pay by us) plus therapy (pay by us) so she could be integrated as she was in USA, but she has been rejected every single year, I have no shame and went back to beg so she could be admitted, I stand at the school's gate, overnight to talk to the owner, he found me in the morning and say there was no room for her, It was a lie.

We are a family my son is getting metally ready to care for his sister in USA, but Andrea is little by little loosing everything she learn in USA, her health is not the same.

Comment

Bsanchez,

I am sorry, I just assumed that you were the mother- I appologize!

I will need some time to think that through.

Just a few more questions:
                How old is Andrea now?

How severe is her Down's?

What mental capacity does she have?

Is there some kind of autism involved ( e.g my son has CP, is severly mentaly disabled and therefore shows signs of autism; he is placed in a Medicaid Waiver for autistic children until there is a place for him in the waiver for fragile children. He doesn't have autism , just autistic features)

Comment

One more question,

How old is Andrea's brother? The one who would care for her, if she would be in the US.

Comment

http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/

A summary of the current option to emigrate to the US.

Illegal presence would complicate matters.

I thought all American countries allowed dual citizenship? Is Guatemala an exception? Why do not your children have both?

Your chances of Medical Insurance in the US outside of a good company plan are also very low to non existent.

Comment

Vegado:

A quick answer before I go to work;

Andrea is 14 my son is 13, both USC.

We choose not to have them become Guatemalan because of two reasons, 1) the paperwork indicates the place of birth and even though they may acquire Guatemalan citizenship in many official transactions what they take in consideration is place of birth. 2) We are concern (maybe without a reason) that furture US Immigration laws may affect children whom left the US and adopted another citizenship.

Her down´s is level 2

Thanks

Comment

level 2? Do you mean moderate mental impairment?
                        How does she communicate? Verbally, signing, not at all?

Comment

Yes moderate, She does communicate in English

Comment

Bsanchez,

I am sorry that it took me a while to get my thought together.
                            Here are my thoughts and since I don't know to much about immigration and waivers, I would appreciate it, if anybody would correct my mistakes.

You daughter could enter the US any time she would want to, since she is a USC.
                            It is you and/or you wife who need permission to re- enter.
                            As much as I know you would need to file an I- 212 for that.

At the same time you would need to need to proof that your daughter would suffer under extreme hardship, if you would not be with her. ( I think there is a waiver for that, but I don't know which one).

So which hardship would you daughter suffer?
                            Without knowing you daughter it is difficult to say, but I will make some assumptions :

You daughter is 14, but due to her moderate mental disability she has a cognitive age of a let's say 2 year old. A separation from her parents could lead emotional and behavioral problems. Withdraw from the environment and aggression ( part of down's ) due to the separation could affect her therapies and physical health.

Also, since her cognitive development is not age appropriate she needs a 24/7 supervision, she does not have a concept of danger. For the safety of the child it would be necessary for you to be with her.
                            Her 13 years old brother of course is not capable of taking care of her, it would be even illegal as much as I know.
                            Why can foster parents not take care of her? Well I think, that with a moderate mental disability she could show some signs of Autism. It is known, that children with Autism or autistic features can not cope very well with a changes of their routine. For herto come back to the US ( what is her right to do) is already a dramatic change, to leave her parents, the primary caretakers behind, could be devastating for her.

I could write on and on, but do you understand where I am coming from?
                            You can not reason that she can not get the medical help she needs in Guatemala, because nobody is keeping her from coming to the US. It is you who was deported, and it is you who can not come back.
                            You need to find specific reasons why you need to be with her when she returns.
                            Since I don't know her it is very difficult to say what specific reasons would apply to you daughter, but I gave you some examples and you can build up on those.

And for everybody who will say I am trying to help a deportee to come back, he doesn't deserve it and bla bla bla...... I really think the child would suffer under extreme emotional and physical hardship, if she had to leave the parents behind. No child deserves it to go through something like that

Comment

Vegado:
                              In five years We lost track of how many emails and people we had to contact regarding Andrea´s situation, ours as well, We had never received an answer such as yours, we are so thankful for your thoughts and comments, We would like to know if we could communicate with you by e-mail. My wife, myself, my son and Andrea pray the that the Lord bless you.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation