• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Dollars At Work - A Teacher's Comment

RE: USA TODAY comment

Cheap Tomatoes
    This should make everyone think, be you Democrat, Republican or Independent

From a California school teacher - - -"As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you should be aware of:

I am in charge of the English-as-a-second-language department at a large southern California high school which is designated a Title 1 school, meaning that its students average lower socioeconomic and income levels.

Most of the schools you are hearing about, South Gate High, Bell Garden s, Huntington Park, etc., where these students are protesting, are also Title 1 schools.

Title 1 schools are on the free breakfast and free lunch program. When I say free breakfast, I'm not talking a glass of milk and roll -- but a full breakfast and cereal bar with fruits and juices that would make a Marriott proud. The waste of this food is monumental, with trays and trays of it being dumped in the trash uneaten. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I estimate that well over 50% of these students are obese or at least moderately overweight. About 75% or more DO have cell phones. The school also provides day care centers for the unwed teenage pregnant girls (some as young as 13) so they can attend class without the inconvenience of having to arrange for babysitters or having family watch their kids. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I was ordered to spend $700,000 on my department or risk losing funding for the upcoming year even though there was little need for anything; my budget was already substantial. I ended up buying new computers for the computer learning center, half of which, one month later, have been carved with graffiti by the appreciative students who obviously feel humbled and grateful to have a free education in America. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I have had to intervene several times for young and substitute teachers whose classes consist of many illegal immigrant students here in the country less than 3 months who raised so much hell with the female teachers, calling them "Putas" wh_res and throwing things that the teachers
    were in tears.

Free medical, free education, free food, day care etc., etc., etc. Is it any wonder they feel entitled to not only be in this country but to demand rights, privileges and entitlements?

To those who want to point out how much these illegal immigrants contribute to our society because they LIKE their gardener and housekeeper and they like to pay less for tomatoes: spend some time in the real world of illegal immigration and see the TRUE costs.

Higher insurance, medical facilities closing, higher medical costs, more crime, lower standards of education in our schools, overcrowding, new diseases etc., etc, etc. For me, I'll pay more for tomatoes.

We need to wake up. The guest worker program will be a disaster because we won't have the guts to enforce it.
    Does anyone in their right mind really think they will voluntarily leave and return?

There are many hardworking Hispanic/American citizens that contribute to our country and many that I consider my true friends. We should encourage and accept those Hispanics who have done it the right and legal way.

It does, however, have everything to do with culture: A third-world culture that does not value education, that accepts children getting pregnant and dropping out of school by 15 and that refuses to assimilate, and an American culture that has become so weak and worried about "politically correct" that we don't have the will to do anything about it.

If this makes your blood boil, as it did mine, forward this to everyone you know.

CHEAP LABOR?
    Isn't that what the whole immigration issue is about?

Business doesn't want to pay a decent wage

Consumers don't want expensive produce

Government will tell you Americans don't want the jobs

But the bottom line is cheap labor. The phrase "cheap labor" is a myth, a farce, and a lie. there is no such thing as "cheap labor."

Take, for example, an illegal alien with a wife and five children. He takes a job for $5.00 or $6.00/hour. At that wage, with six dependents, he pays no income tax, yet at the end of the year, if he files an Income Tax Return, he gets an "earned income credit" of up to $3,200 free.

He qualifies for Section 8 housing and subsidized rent

He qualifies for food stamps

He qualifies for free (no deductible, no co-pay) health care

His children get free breakfasts and lunches at school

He requires bilingual teachers and books

He qualifies for relief from high energy bills

If they are or become, aged, blind or disabled, they qualify for SSI. Once qualified for SSI they can qualify for Medicare. All of this is at taxpayer's expense

He doesn't worry about car insurance, life insurance, or homeowners insurance.

Taxpayers provide Spanish language signs, bulletins and printed material.

He and his family receive the equivalent of $20.00 to $30.00/hour in benefits.

Working Americans are lucky to have $5.00 or $6.00/hour left after paying their bills and his.

The American taxpayer's also pay for increased crime, graffiti and trash clean-up.

Cheap labor? YEAH RIGHT! Wake up people!

Cheap Tomatoes

From a California school teacher - - -"As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you should be aware of:

I am in charge of the English-as-a-second-language department at a large southern California high school which is designated a Title 1 school, meaning that its students average lower socioeconomic and income levels.

Most of the schools you are hearing about, South Gate High, Bell Garden s, Huntington Park, etc., where these students are protesting, are also Title 1 schools.

Title 1 schools are on the free breakfast and free lunch program. When I say free breakfast, I'm not talking a glass of milk and roll -- but a full breakfast and cereal bar with fruits and juices that would make a Marriott proud. The waste of this food is monumental, with trays and trays of it being dumped in the trash uneaten. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I estimate that well over 50% of these students are obese or at least moderately overweight. About 75% or more DO have cell phones. The school also provides day care centers for the unwed teenage pregnant girls (some as young as 13) so they can attend class without the inconvenience of having to arrange for babysitters or having family watch their kids. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I was ordered to spend $700,000 on my department or risk losing funding for the upcoming year even though there was little need for anything; my budget was already substantial. I ended up buying new computers for the computer learning center, half of which, one month later, have been carved with graffiti by the appreciative students who obviously feel humbled and grateful to have a free education in America. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I have had to intervene several times for young and substitute teachers whose classes consist of many illegal immigrant students here in the country less than 3 months who raised so much hell with the female teachers, calling them "Putas" wh_res and throwing things that the teachers
    were in tears.

Free medical, free education, free food, day care etc., etc., etc. Is it any wonder they feel entitled to not only be in this country but to demand rights, privileges and entitlements?

To those who want to point out how much these illegal immigrants contribute to our society because they LIKE their gardener and housekeeper and they like to pay less for tomatoes: spend some time in the real world of illegal immigration and see the TRUE costs.

Higher insurance, medical facilities closing, higher medical costs, more crime, lower standards of education in our schools, overcrowding, new diseases etc., etc, etc. For me, I'll pay more for tomatoes.

We need to wake up. The guest worker program will be a disaster because we won't have the guts to enforce it.
    Does anyone in their right mind really think they will voluntarily leave and return?

There are many hardworking Hispanic/American citizens that contribute to our country and many that I consider my true friends. We should encourage and accept those Hispanics who have done it the right and legal way.

It does, however, have everything to do with culture: A third-world culture that does not value education, that accepts children getting pregnant and dropping out of school by 15 and that refuses to assimilate, and an American culture that has become so weak and worried about "politically correct" that we don't have the will to do anything about it.

If this makes your blood boil, as it did mine, forward this to everyone you know.

CHEAP LABOR?

But the bottom line is cheap labor. The phrase "cheap labor" is a myth, a farce, and a lie. there is no such thing as "cheap labor."

Take, for example, an illegal alien with a wife and five children. He takes a job for $5.00 or $6.00/hour. At that wage, with six dependents, he pays no income tax, yet at the end of the year, if he files an Income Tax Return, he gets an "earned income credit" of up to $3,200 free.

If they are or become, aged, blind or disabled, they qualify for SSI. Once qualified for SSI they can qualify for Medicare. All of this is at taxpayer's expense

Working Americans are lucky to have $5.00 or $6.00/hour left after paying their bills and his.

The American taxpayer's also pay for increased crime, graffiti and trash clean-up.

Cheap labor? YEAH RIGHT! Wake up people!

Comment

I know what you're saying.
      I have a suggestion for spending of your funds...
      1)Health/dietary/wellness classes for the students, involving an exercise/after-school program.
      2)MORAL SPEAKERS for student in-services, this could include such things as Worth the Wait program (abstinence), Hiring of additional social workers to do casework/prevention intervention with specific high risk families.
      3)NO COMPUTERS, they just abuse them anyways and go to sites that are prohibited when staff backs are turned, invest in an expansive LIBRARY, teaching kids how to look stuff up for themselves.
      4)Support programs, support programs, support programs

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff:

Cheap Tomatoes

were in tears.

CHEAP LABOR?

Cheap labor? YEAH RIGHT! Wake up people! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
        Well for one, I would like the source of this article. However, lets take a look at the other side of the coin.

For starters, school districts are forbidden to exercise corporal punishment, and in most cases, any punishment whatsoever. That is the responsibility of the law enforcement agencies. And the students know this whether they are in tier one schools or in the rich suburb schools Second, I seriously doubt half the children in these schools are illegal. Perhaps half are Hispanic, but since when is every Hispanic an illegal? Then lets look at those teacher unions, shall we? The worst thing that could have happened in American Educational system is the requirement of a teachers certificate, which may or may not be adequate enough for certain subjects like math, English, and science. History classes are taught by the coaches or athletic staff in a majority of schools. Then you have the nontransferability of those same teacher requirements in math, science, English, etc. I can understand to some degree with state history, but not world history, US history, government, or economics. Most school districts now pay over a 12 month period from September to August. Pay is adequate, but there is little room for advancement, unless you want an administrative job (which requires more schooling), teaching at the collegiate level, or teaching summer school.

Then lets talk about the accusations that illegals can get AFDC, food stamps, etc. They cannot in California unless you can prove fraud by that individual. What is happening is that the USc child is qualifying for those programs. The parent is only spending the money on the child's behalf. And the parents are still required to spend that money for its intended purposes. It does not matter whether the parent is a USC or an alien. Law still applies.
        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
          However, the mother/father are not starving. They are eating,sleeping, drinking from the same money. We are financially supporting them. Been that way since forever. That is what has everyone up in arms. AFDC does have the USC requirement but the checks are made out to an illegal to spend in those cases. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
          The way AFDC works is that the money is for costs directly attributable to the cost of raising that child. Thus, it is based on the marginal additional costs for food and necessary supplies, not the cost for the entire family. It is not much and does not include subsidizing the parents. The only reason why parents are involved is that the child is too young and immature to handle that money responsibly.
          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Like the OP, I work for a program that receives Title 1 money (our federal taxes). I teach ESL to the parents and work closely with the schools checking the progress of the children. In my county the situation is as follows:

1. 95% of the immigrants are illegal.
            2. Almost all of them are from Mexico or Guatemala.
            3. 80% didnt finish Grammar school.
            4. 1/3 of the elementary school children are hispanic. Most of the children are USC but they have HUGE problems at school because english is their second language and parents are not actively involved in their education.

Now, I live in a very rural and poor county. Small schools have had to hire at least 10 professionals (each one) in order to deal with this problem. That is a lot of money that otherwise it could have been used for better school programs. Our only hospital (a small one) is running on deficit (illegals dont pay their bills).

Most of the illegals work in the field or at chicken processing plants (read: Tyson and Perdue). The ones that work in the fields use made up SS numbers. The ones that work at Tyson and Perdue use real SS number that belong to someone else and that they bought. They claim to have 10 children so the company will deduct less money from their taxes.

Illegals do receive free (or almost free) medical services. There are programs that run on federal money (again our taxes). They just show up, fill out a form and that is it (if they go more than 3 times a year they have to show some proof -- any piece of paper -- that states how much money they make).

I am not a racist. I am a immigrant myself (legal from the very first day) and I really care for my students and their families. But it drives me crazy to see that I pay my taxes, my health insurance, my groceries, etc., while they and their children get a lot of things for free when they should not be here in the first place. And they keep having children because they dont have to support them (everything is free).

Comment

Cayita, my heart goes out for you, you are doing one thing, while harboring such feelings that are generally incompatible with what you do everyday. I can't imagine the degree of contradictions and struggles that you're going through constantly. It's not easy, I know. No offense meant, but why don't you shift to another line of work?

Comment

Bottom line: we can pull our hair, stump our feet, bang our chests - the problems stay all around us! We resort to rhetorics, we argue, we debate, we discuss, we fight, when we look outside, things are just the same as yesterday, or the other day. We wake up the following morning, do these things all over again, then the next, then the day after next, but we just go on circles.

This problem can be solved only by three things:
                1) Immigration Reform
                2) Comprehensive Immigration Reform
                3) Immediate Comprehensive Immigration Reform

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board