Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrieving my passport from Canada

My passport is held by Candaian immigration. I'm here in US now. Is there a way to get the passport back to me? If yes, how?

Thanks for your help!

My passport is held by Candaian immigration. I'm here in US now. Is there a way to get the passport back to me? If yes, how?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

why are they holding it?

Comment

Need a lot more info! Have you tried contacting them at that border crossing? What did they tell you when they took it??????

ARQU

Comment

I was a refuge in Canada and they took my passport when I entered Canada. Then I left without telling them. Now I need to get my passport back.

Thanks!

Comment

I would think it would be easier to get a replacement passport from your home country (perhaps not if you were a refugee).

Otherwise, I would pick up the phone and start calling the Cdn Gov't. There are ombudsmen for each gov't dep't that can help you out if necessary...

How in the world did you get into the US from Canada without a passport? You must of represented yourself as a Canadian citizen or something... ) Rhetorical Question - no need to answer).

Good luck!

ARQU

Comment

Well, I can answer that question. I crossed the border 6 years ago and now I'm under removal proceedings.

I want to close my case in Canada, so if INS deports me back to Canada I will be able to have a fresh start. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comment

Are you a citizen of Canada? I take it that you are not. If that is the case, I would expect the US to deport you back to the country of your citizenship...

I really don't have any real facts to help you out - I am just expressing my opinion that is all... Anybody else out there have any thoughts?

ARQU

Comment

How come US deports to the country of citenzship, and not to the country you came from?
                  What if I don't tell INS what country I'm citizen of?

Canada deports to the country you came from.

P.S.
                  Thanks for your help ARQU

Comment

I am only assuming that the US will deport a person to their country of citizenship. I doubt that the US (or Canada) would (or could) deport you to a country where you do not have legal status....

But I really don't know so take it for what it is worth...

And your welcome...

ARQU

Comment

Are you saying thn that you would not tell INS hwere you are from then? If you came to Canada from another country the Candian governemnt would have record. If you tried to be deported back to Canada, Canada would claim that you are not a citizen, therefore cannot return there. They would then let INS know where you were a refugee from. As an aside, why did you not try and get Canadian citizenship?

Comment

Not to mention that if you refused to tell the INS where you are from - they will hold you, in custody, until they figure it out...

And the INS is not the fastest organization in the world...

ARQU

Comment

Filing refugee claim is one route to citizenship.

Comment

I was a refugee in Canada and my case was rejected.
                            And I did tell INS that I came from Canada. I'm just concered where INS is going to deport me to.
                            thanks

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed