Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A WORD ABOUT FAIRNESS

Posting that appears below is copied, pasted and edited from my earlier reply to Michael's post on "CGCAS")

[quote]
    To be fair, while Insight rambles and caroms-from the scientific method to Aquinas to Freudian psychology-there are a few main themes.
    First, what matters is not what we know, but what is happening when we are knowing.
    Where does the desire to know come from, and what is going on in our minds when we believe or wonder? How can we pay better attention to that?
    Second, then, is Lonergan's belief that the most important empirical data comes from the self. Yes, we are to observe phenomena in the world around us, but the ladder of questing that eventually leads to direct experience of the divine beings by paying attention to one's own mental processes: "The aim is not to set forth a list of the abstract properties of human knowledge but to assist the reader in effecting a personal appropriation of the concrete, dynamic structure immanent and recurrently operative in his own cognitional activities".
    IN OTHER WORDS TO THINK EFFECTIVELY,ONE MUST BECOME AWARE OF THE NATURAL AND HISTORICAL FORCES THAT SHAPE HOW WE THINK; IN BECOMING AWARE OF THEM, WE MAKE THEM OUR OWN. WE BEGIN TO KNOW OUR PREJUDICES AND PRECONCEPTIONS, TO LEARN WHAT LEVERS ARE OPERATIVE IN THE THINKING MACHINE THAT IS OUR BRAIN. WE CAN THEN BETTER CONTROL THOSE LEVERS, RATHER THAN BEING CONTROLLED BY THEM.
    Third, then , this is not a hopeless task but one in which we can make progress; if we are careful and patient, we can become more successful at this "self-appropriation", to use the Lonerganians' favorite word.
    And fourth, such progress will come in part by paying attention to history. So, in insight, Lonergan discusses thinkers like Isaac Newton with an eye to the mental processes that led them to their discoveries.
    [end of quote]

"Beautiful Mind" by Mark Oppenheimer.
    Boston College Magazine, Spring 2003. Page35.

1)

I want to begin my writing by saying that there is a difference between projecting your own feelings/desires/attitudes into the hearts of others and actually being able to penetrate, grasp and understand their inner motivations and thoughts..
    In the first instance we imagine that others are just our mere prototypes and thus MUST feel exactly as we would feel in similar circumstances, forgetting how much our own background, beliefs, surroundings and prejudices contribute to our thinking processes and feelings.
    The second approach would require one to spend years of his/her life abroad, (and not just studying and reading volumes of books on history, philosophy, psychology and etc.) , and to vigorously try to comprehend the differences of culture and mentality and implications of those differences in one's mindset, thoughts and feelings.

No wonder then that some people judge about things and people around them from their particular point of view, reflecting their own prejudices, desires and subconscious inclinations,not ever knowing about it.
    These people are also unwilling to recognize that there exists another way to approach and understand the world around them.
    They also believe that a Man is an animal that infallibly and consistently reflects his own aggressiveness, caprices and desires and thus he is a slave to his subconscious mind, incapable of free and impartial thinking (Hobbs?).

Far from blaming latter for their beliefs (I understand that it is not someone's fault not to know something that has never been taught or experienced in one's own life), I am simply explaining the roots of existing prejudices and barriers that separate peoples of different cultures, countries, ethnic, racial origins all over the world.
    The very same reasons (inability or unwillingness to transcend one's own subconscious, short sightedly selfish desires/prejudices and to reach to the hearts of others) divide and set against each other even people within the same racial/ethnic/cultural groups.

2)

Now, America IS, undeniably, one of the most advanced and best countries of the World to live in.
    Freedom of speech, freedom to pursue happiness in one's life, protection and guarantee of one's life, property and civil rights by the State, freedom to establish an enterprise and freedom to achieve the success, where only skies and one's own abilities are the limits...

Isn't all this great?
    Isn't all this worthy of praise?
    Isn't it then natural that many talented people want to come and live in this country, just as many Americans are happy to be born and live here?

But guess what?
    All these rights and privileges are non-existent once you are an Illegal Alien.
    And once those benefits and privileges lost, life in America becomes not much better or different than it was back where they came from.
    Only exception could be for those fleeing EXTREME poverty and hunger, in which case one could say that it is better to be alive with full stomach, although without any rights whatsoever than to be dead anyway.

To those of you who blame ALL illegal Aliens equally REGARDLESS of any circumstances I want to remind of what is called "Totality of Circumstances"

What it means?
    Well, to put it simply it means that if a man driving a car hits and runs over the squirrel while steering away and avoiding to hit a pedestrian, only very short sighted Judge would blame and condemn him for the crime of animal cruelty.
    Somehow that standard is not applied in judging the actions of any Illegal person, thus they are all covered under blanket definition of "Law Breakers", no matter when, how and under what circumstances they became illegal.

But, what is most disturbing is that AT THE SAME TIME AS WE DEFEND THE SACREDNESS OF THE LAW, despite our deeply and strongly held belief that Immigration Law must be upheld (no matter what led the particular individual to violate it in the first place) and individual held responsible for his/her actions, YET somehow it is NEVER actually enforced to the full extent, thus contributing to the endless rise of the numbers of those whom we define as "Undocumented Immigrants".

We all heard different excuses like lack of resources, big business interests and etc. that contribute to this situation.
    But does it mean we should remain in "Status quo"?

Meanwhile, the situation gets worse and worse for 10 million Illegal population while some people, representing only minority of American population, speak for entire Nation by uselessly and continuously bashing Undocumented and some times just "ALIENS", yet the very same people never productively to contribute to the solution of the existing problem.

Hence tension arises and things get stirred up. It starts with verbal assaults, jokes and pranks but where it leads to nobody seems to know.

This is a kind of situation I described under option e) in my posting headed "Immigration: Open borders or restriction"
    I actually DID mean it when I said that it would be better for BOTH "Illegals" and the rest of the Americans if Government took upon itself to consistently introduce and implement the Tancredo's proposals, rather than to throw the whole issue under the carpet, ignore and inconsistently pursue it at times, while tensions and unhappiness rise in both "Undocumented" and "Law abiding" camps.

Michael's posting about "Green Card abuse syndrom" is an excellent example of what I mean when I talk about vocal "minority of American population" that is seriously considering the undocumented and other Aliens to be bread stealing, fraud committing enemies of law abiding nation.

It is the growth and spread of such feelings that makes me worry for the future and stability of our country.

I believe it is useless to blame one or another group or particular individual for harboring these feelings just as it is useless to blame water for boiling over 100 degrees C.

To "cool" the whole thing down we need a CONSISTENT introduction and implementation of our Immigration Laws that, at present time, seems to be one of the most difficult tasks to do.
    It appears to me that with current trend we will sooner send a man to the Mars than get this problem solved.

With best regards,

E:

P.S. I don't know what assumption did Michael or anyone else make about my earlier reply to his story about his "abusive", "fraudulent", "alien" wife..
    But my point was that I wouldn't assign myself the functions of the Judge and take one side or another not knowing all the evidence, circumstances of the case and etc. What evidence did I have to rule out the POSSIBILITY that she may have been right despite what he was claiming? (It was in his later response that Michael announced about Court decision on his favor).
    I would especially avoid making a judgement by motivating it solely on my feelings for "woman", "alien", "Russian" or "man", "USC", "American" and etc.
    I also suggested Michael, as I am sure any Court Appointed Mediator would, to SETTLE this matter out of the court, peacefully and cost effectively.
    Somehow it was understood by some that I was accusing Michael of actually abusing his wife and making the whole story up.

Hence was my later remark that I am getting used to the fact that people read in my postings what they please no matter what I write.

I hope to get some fairness this time ;-)

Good luck ;-)

E:

Posting that appears below is copied, pasted and edited from my earlier reply to Michael's post on "CGCAS")

[quote]
    To be fair, while Insight rambles and caroms-from the scientific method to Aquinas to Freudian psychology-there are a few main themes.
    First, what matters is not what we know, but what is happening when we are knowing.
    Where does the desire to know come from, and what is going on in our minds when we believe or wonder? How can we pay better attention to that?
    Second, then, is Lonergan's belief that the most important empirical data comes from the self. Yes, we are to observe phenomena in the world around us, but the ladder of questing that eventually leads to direct experience of the divine beings by paying attention to one's own mental processes: "The aim is not to set forth a list of the abstract properties of human knowledge but to assist the reader in effecting a personal appropriation of the concrete, dynamic structure immanent and recurrently operative in his own cognitional activities".
    IN OTHER WORDS TO THINK EFFECTIVELY,ONE MUST BECOME AWARE OF THE NATURAL AND HISTORICAL FORCES THAT SHAPE HOW WE THINK; IN BECOMING AWARE OF THEM, WE MAKE THEM OUR OWN. WE BEGIN TO KNOW OUR PREJUDICES AND PRECONCEPTIONS, TO LEARN WHAT LEVERS ARE OPERATIVE IN THE THINKING MACHINE THAT IS OUR BRAIN. WE CAN THEN BETTER CONTROL THOSE LEVERS, RATHER THAN BEING CONTROLLED BY THEM.
    Third, then , this is not a hopeless task but one in which we can make progress; if we are careful and patient, we can become more successful at this "self-appropriation", to use the Lonerganians' favorite word.
    And fourth, such progress will come in part by paying attention to history. So, in insight, Lonergan discusses thinkers like Isaac Newton with an eye to the mental processes that led them to their discoveries.
    [end of quote]

"Beautiful Mind" by Mark Oppenheimer.
    Boston College Magazine, Spring 2003. Page35.

1)

I want to begin my writing by saying that there is a difference between projecting your own feelings/desires/attitudes into the hearts of others and actually being able to penetrate, grasp and understand their inner motivations and thoughts..
    In the first instance we imagine that others are just our mere prototypes and thus MUST feel exactly as we would feel in similar circumstances, forgetting how much our own background, beliefs, surroundings and prejudices contribute to our thinking processes and feelings.
    The second approach would require one to spend years of his/her life abroad, (and not just studying and reading volumes of books on history, philosophy, psychology and etc.) , and to vigorously try to comprehend the differences of culture and mentality and implications of those differences in one's mindset, thoughts and feelings.

No wonder then that some people judge about things and people around them from their particular point of view, reflecting their own prejudices, desires and subconscious inclinations,not ever knowing about it.
    These people are also unwilling to recognize that there exists another way to approach and understand the world around them.
    They also believe that a Man is an animal that infallibly and consistently reflects his own aggressiveness, caprices and desires and thus he is a slave to his subconscious mind, incapable of free and impartial thinking (Hobbs?).

Far from blaming latter for their beliefs (I understand that it is not someone's fault not to know something that has never been taught or experienced in one's own life), I am simply explaining the roots of existing prejudices and barriers that separate peoples of different cultures, countries, ethnic, racial origins all over the world.
    The very same reasons (inability or unwillingness to transcend one's own subconscious, short sightedly selfish desires/prejudices and to reach to the hearts of others) divide and set against each other even people within the same racial/ethnic/cultural groups.

2)

Now, America IS, undeniably, one of the most advanced and best countries of the World to live in.
    Freedom of speech, freedom to pursue happiness in one's life, protection and guarantee of one's life, property and civil rights by the State, freedom to establish an enterprise and freedom to achieve the success, where only skies and one's own abilities are the limits...

Isn't all this great?
    Isn't all this worthy of praise?
    Isn't it then natural that many talented people want to come and live in this country, just as many Americans are happy to be born and live here?

But guess what?
    All these rights and privileges are non-existent once you are an Illegal Alien.
    And once those benefits and privileges lost, life in America becomes not much better or different than it was back where they came from.
    Only exception could be for those fleeing EXTREME poverty and hunger, in which case one could say that it is better to be alive with full stomach, although without any rights whatsoever than to be dead anyway.

To those of you who blame ALL illegal Aliens equally REGARDLESS of any circumstances I want to remind of what is called "Totality of Circumstances"

What it means?
    Well, to put it simply it means that if a man driving a car hits and runs over the squirrel while steering away and avoiding to hit a pedestrian, only very short sighted Judge would blame and condemn him for the crime of animal cruelty.
    Somehow that standard is not applied in judging the actions of any Illegal person, thus they are all covered under blanket definition of "Law Breakers", no matter when, how and under what circumstances they became illegal.

But, what is most disturbing is that AT THE SAME TIME AS WE DEFEND THE SACREDNESS OF THE LAW, despite our deeply and strongly held belief that Immigration Law must be upheld (no matter what led the particular individual to violate it in the first place) and individual held responsible for his/her actions, YET somehow it is NEVER actually enforced to the full extent, thus contributing to the endless rise of the numbers of those whom we define as "Undocumented Immigrants".

We all heard different excuses like lack of resources, big business interests and etc. that contribute to this situation.
    But does it mean we should remain in "Status quo"?

Meanwhile, the situation gets worse and worse for 10 million Illegal population while some people, representing only minority of American population, speak for entire Nation by uselessly and continuously bashing Undocumented and some times just "ALIENS", yet the very same people never productively to contribute to the solution of the existing problem.

Hence tension arises and things get stirred up. It starts with verbal assaults, jokes and pranks but where it leads to nobody seems to know.

This is a kind of situation I described under option e) in my posting headed "Immigration: Open borders or restriction"
    I actually DID mean it when I said that it would be better for BOTH "Illegals" and the rest of the Americans if Government took upon itself to consistently introduce and implement the Tancredo's proposals, rather than to throw the whole issue under the carpet, ignore and inconsistently pursue it at times, while tensions and unhappiness rise in both "Undocumented" and "Law abiding" camps.

Michael's posting about "Green Card abuse syndrom" is an excellent example of what I mean when I talk about vocal "minority of American population" that is seriously considering the undocumented and other Aliens to be bread stealing, fraud committing enemies of law abiding nation.

It is the growth and spread of such feelings that makes me worry for the future and stability of our country.

I believe it is useless to blame one or another group or particular individual for harboring these feelings just as it is useless to blame water for boiling over 100 degrees C.

To "cool" the whole thing down we need a CONSISTENT introduction and implementation of our Immigration Laws that, at present time, seems to be one of the most difficult tasks to do.
    It appears to me that with current trend we will sooner send a man to the Mars than get this problem solved.

With best regards,

E:

P.S. I don't know what assumption did Michael or anyone else make about my earlier reply to his story about his "abusive", "fraudulent", "alien" wife..
    But my point was that I wouldn't assign myself the functions of the Judge and take one side or another not knowing all the evidence, circumstances of the case and etc. What evidence did I have to rule out the POSSIBILITY that she may have been right despite what he was claiming? (It was in his later response that Michael announced about Court decision on his favor).
    I would especially avoid making a judgement by motivating it solely on my feelings for "woman", "alien", "Russian" or "man", "USC", "American" and etc.
    I also suggested Michael, as I am sure any Court Appointed Mediator would, to SETTLE this matter out of the court, peacefully and cost effectively.
    Somehow it was understood by some that I was accusing Michael of actually abusing his wife and making the whole story up.

Hence was my later remark that I am getting used to the fact that people read in my postings what they please no matter what I write.

I hope to get some fairness this time ;-)

Good luck ;-)

E:

Comment

I won $12,0000 and I settled for a total of $6000 - her new husband is paying it; once a fraud always a fraud

Comment

i mean i won $12,000

Comment

You settled for 50% of your award.
          Which is not a bad thing if she had NOTHING to pay for.
          On the other hand, if she HAD something it would probably cost you less than $6000 to subpoena her and force her to pay the rest.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation