Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had my AOS interview today. Is approval/rejection instant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had my AOS interview today. Is approval/rejection instant?

Hi, I had my I-485 interview today and I am a US Citizen petitioning for my wife who overtstayed her B-2 visa. I think my wife and I did fine and we submitted a good amount of evidence of our marriage including:

* a verification letter from our bank for a joint bank account (although the interviewer said she preferred a bank statement because it showed recent transactions, etc.)
    * photos of our small wedding and a vacation to my parent's home in another state along with other random photos of our time together
    * a medical bill in my wife's name, with our address on it along with a copy of the cashed check that I used to pay for her bill
    * joint tax returns
    * a rental agreement with both our names on it dating back to January of this year.

I think we answered most of the questions the interviewer asked us quite well with confidence and in a natural tone.

Well, we are both somewhat young, I am 26 and my wife is only 21. We met on March 1, 2006 and we were married by August 19, 2006. So we courted for a little over 5 months before we got married. It is a real marriage but I'm worried the interviewer might be suspicious because we have only been together for a little over a year and we got married after only 5 months.

After the interview was over, the interviewer told us she would take all the documents and review them and make a decision about our case within a week. She said she was satisfied with the document evidence we provided and that she didn't think we needed to submit anything else but she admitted that sometimes she forgets to ask for a document and if this happens she will request it later but for now it seemed to her that she had everything she needed.

Well, she didn't stamp my wife's passport (I'm not sure if they even do this anymore), nor did she mention anything about approval. She only told us she would review all the material and make a decision based on the evidence we submitted within a week. She told us we will receive a letter from her after that. So my question is: what does this usually mean? I know many people do not get a passport stamp right away because something is usually pending like an FBI check or missing documents, but according to our interviewer, we were not missing anything (Do they even stamp passports anymore?). Does this usually mean that we should be expecting a "stokes" (second) interview? Or are there often cases where there is no passport stamp, no missing documents, and still the approval comes afterwards? After all, the interviewer did not tell us we needed a second interview, nor did she tell us we were not approved. Can anyone shed light on this for me? My wife and I are just very nervous right now after the interview experience.
    03-01-06 Met wife at a salsa dancing club
    07-12-06 Proposed
    08-19-06 Wedding, family and friends attend
    03-01-07 Celebrated 1 year together!!

CIS local office - Denver, CO
    Service Center - MSC
    02-26-07 Filed for AOS (I-485), EAD (I-765), AP (

Approvals and rejections are done instantly and right here on this board.

We have reviewed your AOS petition and find the following:
    * Letter from the bank was insufficient as we told you we would prefer recent bank statements
    * Your small wedding is a huge red flag and the Elvis impersonator performing the wedding was not credible
    * Renters are low class sc*m; any normal person would OWN property

Therefore, based on the above facts and findings of law, we hereby DENY your petition and BOTH you and your wife are ordered DEPORTED and your US Citizenship is hereby REVOKED.

This decision is NOT appealable.

Thank you for using the United States Customs and Immigration Services.

Comment

Please rate our services to you today. We use your feedback to momitor our performance.

1. Unbelievably outstanding
      2. Incredible
      3. Superb
      4. Excellent

Thank you

Comment

Philosopher, please ignore SON OF VILLAGE IDIOT. He's just the local, sadly to say, village idiot that we have all learned to ignore and overlook. As you can see by his failed attempt to spell properly, he's just a stupid person. Again, we all take pity on him. Thanks for your understanding with the local Son of Village Idiot.

Comment

what the officer said is that she will review your case and make a decision. The reason she did not approve the petition is because the evidence you submitted did not convince her enough that this is a good faith marriage. The reason she told you to wait is because she wanted to consult with her supervisor and get an additional opinion. What you should expect is a request for additional evidence most probably within the next few weeks. She will not just simply reject the application because she feels like it. If you get such a request it means that most probably the officer is leaning to rejection so I would provide as much additional evidence as possible such as health insurance, car insurance and others

Comment

ANOTHER excellent decision by Chief Adjudicator Sonofmchael; tough but fair; this is what we need in our legal system; UNBELIEVABLY OUTSTANDING; Great job

SONOFMICHAEL

IMMIGRANTS

Comment

Son of Stupid, you spelled your name wrong. Ha, ha!!

Comment

Hi, "The Philosopher"
                my husband and I have our interview on June 11! Can you please tell me what questions you were asked?

As far as the age thing goes... haven't you ever seen the show on MTV engaged and underage? In the modern world you ar at an ideal age for marriage so dont worry about that! Thanks for your help!

Comment

I had my interview in Feb 2007.
                  I was told the same thing.. did not get stamp in passport.

A week later I got a Congratulations letter from USCIS in the mail and the card was mailed to me in a week after that.

Comment

Originally posted by mp2006:
                    Hi, "The Philosopher"
                    my husband and I have our interview on June 11! Can you please tell me what questions you were asked?

As far as the age thing goes... haven't you ever seen the show on MTV engaged and underage? In the modern world you ar at an ideal age for marriage so dont worry about that! Thanks for your help!
                    Thanks for your encouragement! In response to your question I'll outline my interview experience for you. First, we arrived at the Denver, CO district office 30 minutes early for our 8:45 am appointment and they actually called us in 15 minutes early at 8:30 am. When we started the interview, the first questions came directly from the I-485 and I-130 applications. The interviewer checked off fields in the applications as we answered her questions:

-She asked my wife and I to state our full names.
                    -She asked my wife what her current address is and whether it was an apartment/house/etc. (My wife tripped up a little here because of the nerves but corrected herself immediately. She answered everything else perfectly after.)
                    -She asked if I lived at the same address.
                    -She asked each of us to state the other person's birthday.
                    -She asked if either of us had children.
                    -She asked where my wife was born.
                    -She asked my wife if she had ever worked in the US.
                    -She asked her if she had ever applied for permanent residency/AOS before.
                    -She asked me when I became a US citizen (I told her November of last year).
                    -She asked my wife what kind of visa she used to come to the US.
                    -She asked my wife when the first time she came to the US was and how long was her longest stay. (My wife first came in 2001 and stayed for 6 months and came/went as a tourist yearly until 2004 when she overstayed her visa and has been here since).
                    -She asked if my wife had ever left the US since she had overstayed her visa (My wife has not.).
                    -She asked if my wife had ever been deported or arrested.
                    -Finally she asked if my wife was a member of any club or organization.

Following the questions from the applications she asked us about our relationship:
                    -How long have you two known each other?
                    -How and where did you meet?
                    -How did you propose to your wife?
                    -When and where were you married?
                    -Were there witnesses at the wedding? (No witnesses signed our marriage certificate because the person conducting the wedding said it was not necessary because Colorado it is not needed for the marriage to be certified. But we then told the interviewer that there were witnesses, they just did not sign the certificate and we showed her pictures from the wedding.)

-Did family or friends attend the wedding? Who?
                    -Did both of your parents support the marriage? (I said my mother did but my father did not initially. She then asked why my father did not support it and we told her because he thought we got married too soon and also because he is a very religious person and had very traditional views about courting, etc. She then asked if things had changed with my father and we told her yes, he eventually came around and we showed her pictures of my dad hugging my wife during Christmas while smiling).

-Have you met each other's families?
                    (We told her that my wife had met my parents and my brother while we were in California during Christmas. We then told her that my wife had actually met my mother earlier a few days before the wedding but since my father did not initially support the wedding he did not come and my wife met him in California. Then we told the interviewer that I had met my wife's sister who lives close to us and that I had not met her parents because they live in Peru. However, I then said that I met her mom on MSN video chat and my wife jumped in and said, "you also met my brother that way." The interviewer smiled and laughed a little when we told her that).

-When was the last time you two saw each other's family?
                    (We told the interviewer that we had not seen my parents and brother since January and that I had seen my wife's sister yesterday).

-She then asked us to provide any documents that could substantiate the marriage. We gave her:
                    * a verification letter from our bank for a joint bank account (although the interviewer said she preferred a bank statement because it showed recent transactions, etc.)
                    * photos of our small wedding and a vacation to my parent's home in another state along with other random photos of our time together such as halloween photos, photos we took at a musical we attended, etc. (She made copies of a lot of our photos)
                    * a medical bill in my wife's name, with our address on it along with a copy of the cashed check that I used to pay for her bill
                    * joint tax returns
                    * a rental agreement with both our names on it dating back to January of this year.

That was about it. It took about 20 minutes and we were done. She then told us that she was "happy and fairly satisfied" with the documentation we provided. I'm not sure if she meant she was satisfied that it was good enough evidence to show that our marriage was real or if she meant that she was satisfied in the sense that she had enough to make whatever decision she needed to make. She then told us that she would make a decision within a week and send us a letter with her decision.

Good luck with your interview!!
                    07-12-06 Proposed

Service Center - MSC

Comment

Hey Man!...glad to hear u came out alive from that interview, at this stage, like all else in this kind of situation...anything can happen!...so my advice to you is...STAY POSITIVE and even only 5 months of marriage is not a point against you and your wife as long as u had proven its LOVE not anything illegal...and u had mentioned that all paperwork necessary required was presented, only if theres additional forms they need to see, then they will ask for them...but again, keep your head up PAL!

Comment

Philosopher, thank you so much for your quick response! I think I might be like your wife as far as the nerve things go... I've always been a nervous person... even if its to go for a visit to the doctor! Hopefully I will be able to supress them. Either way, me and my husband live in my mothers house for now so we dont own anything or share utility bills. What we will be bringing is:

* All of his legal documents (passport etc)
                        * All of my documents (brith certificate etc)
                        * Joint bank accounts
                        * Same phone bill
                        * Car insurance
                        * Tons of pictures of us, on vacation, at dinner, family events, etc
                        * Cards we have written to eachother
                        * Our taxes we filed jointly
                        * Tickets of places we have gone, the fair, basketball games, disney, movies, etc.
                        * Other random mail showing it gets sent to the same address

Hopefully that will be efficient! :]
                        What do you think??

Comment

Originally posted by mp2006:
                          Philosopher, thank you so much for your quick response! I think I might be like your wife as far as the nerve things go... I've always been a nervous person... even if its to go for a visit to the doctor! Hopefully I will be able to supress them. Either way, me and my husband live in my mothers house for now so we dont own anything or share utility bills. What we will be bringing is:

* All of his legal documents (passport etc)
                          * All of my documents (brith certificate etc)
                          * Joint bank accounts
                          * Same phone bill
                          * Car insurance
                          * Tons of pictures of us, on vacation, at dinner, family events, etc
                          * Cards we have written to eachother
                          * Our taxes we filed jointly
                          * Tickets of places we have gone, the fair, basketball games, disney, movies, etc.
                          * Other random mail showing it gets sent to the same address

Hopefully that will be efficient! :]
                          What do you think??
                          That should be enough I think. Do your photos include any of your wedding? Our interviewer was particularly interested in that. Oh and she made a point to tell us "I'm looking for photos of the two of you with family and friends." In the end the interviewer copied a bunch of photos including wedding photos, though the majority of the ones she copied were of my wife and I together at different places.

I also took cards we had written to each other and tickets of shows we saw together too but the interviewer didn't seem interested in them, but I think its different in all cases and your interviewer might want them. I think its very smart to bring car insurance documents with both of you on it. I completely forgot about our car insurance and that was the one thing I did not bring. Anyway you seem to have a good amount of evidence. Good luck to you!
                          07-12-06 Proposed

Service Center - MSC

Comment

stop paniking. Wait till u get the letter.
                            That u got married in such a short time - no problem. She obviously has to clear something up, all u have to do is wait. If u get a letter asking for more info then send it asap.

did she tell u about the background check was it completed?

car insurance ... hmm never thought about that.

You will be ok. Dont worry.

Comment

hey nftd3, what do u mean you never thought about it? what presenting your car insurance? just wondering what u meant! :]

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation