Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some legal status

am an F1 student who is out of status because my transfer college would not grant me an I-20 because of my pending I130 petition. The petition is now approved, but I am still not in ANY legal status, but still in school. Is there ANY status I can change to WITHIN the US, so that when the NVC has a visa number I will be able to do AOS???

What will the NVC do if there is a visa number available and I am not in any status. My spouse is a LPR and my proceedings are being done within the US and not abroad.

am an F1 student who is out of status because my transfer college would not grant me an I-20 because of my pending I130 petition. The petition is now approved, but I am still not in ANY legal status, but still in school. Is there ANY status I can change to WITHIN the US, so that when the NVC has a visa number I will be able to do AOS???

What will the NVC do if there is a visa number available and I am not in any status. My spouse is a LPR and my proceedings are being done within the US and not abroad.

Comment

It is not necessary and not possible to "find" a non-immigrant status to satisy a pending PR application unless you want to commit fraud. You DO NOT qualify as a nonimmigrant because you have demonstrated an intent to immigrate.

You are in an unofficial status called pending PR (least thats what I call it). File the I-485 ASAP along with an I-131 advanced parole application and an I-765 employment authorization application. You should then be able to work and travel freely in about 3 to 4 months.

Comment

Hi Sugarpuff - I actually cannot file the I485 as yet because my spouse is a LPR and as such I have to wait for a visa number. I wish someone could tell me their experience with this part of the wait - approximately how long it took them - with them having a LPR Spouse and NOT a citizen spouse - as I know they have no wait.

Comment

what country are you and your spouse from?

Comment

We are from Jamaica....

Comment

According to the Dept of State visa bulletin the current priority date for family-sponsored 2nd preference petitions ( Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Res)is October 1st 2000. So it is going to be a while before a number becomes current.

Comment

hello LPRspouse, what year did you file ? Do you know i130 does not get approve anymore or less you are close to getting a visa number ? Did you get an approval notice from BCIS with instruction on next thing to do ? Let me know the answers and then maybe I can advice you.

Comment

Depending on when your husband became an LPR you may find it faster to petition again as your husbands wife AFTER he becomes a citizen.

Comment

Sugarpuff , it;s actually very recently Jan 01 2001. If you navigate thru other website you may not get real date or refresh your browser when u are on the visa bulletin page and see the magic!

Comment

Thanks, it is showing me the numbers from Feb 2005. I am on the DOS website...what are you looking at?

Comment

What year did you enter US and got married ? Try filling V1 if you have spent three years waiting for the i130 to get approved

Comment

Sug... go to the dept of state website or type name in yr browser goto permanent resident section and then visa bulettin

Comment

got it thanks

sug

Comment

Hi guys - thanks for the info and replies. We filed I130 in Dec 2002 and it approved in Oct 2005. We just the approval notice and it says to give NVC about 6 weeks to send us something from them....whatever that is. My husband got his GC in Aug 2002 - will be eligible to file for naturalization in May 2007.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation