Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get boyfriend here

I've been dating a guy for 7 months in a long distance relationship. I am a US citizen and he is in Europe. We are trying to figure out the best way for him to come over to the US. Someone gave us advice for him to just come over and get married within 3 months time...is this the best way? Or should we apply for the fiance visa? We really just want to be together and not have to wait very long. Thanks for any help anyone could give me!!

I've been dating a guy for 7 months in a long distance relationship. I am a US citizen and he is in Europe. We are trying to figure out the best way for him to come over to the US. Someone gave us advice for him to just come over and get married within 3 months time...is this the best way? Or should we apply for the fiance visa? We really just want to be together and not have to wait very long. Thanks for any help anyone could give me!!

Comment

It would be better if u apply for fiancé visa but for that you have to have met him first ...there should be personal contact ... so u might have to visit him there ... may be u can marry there and file Direct Consular filing or K3 ....

It is also possible that he could fly here using VWP and then you can marry him but that's not a right thing to do ... he will be able to adjust that way also but u might have to prove non-immigrant intent of his visit to USA... Good luck ... Pasha

Comment

Thanks Pasha! We have met. He's visited me 2 times here and I've been there to see him once. If we were to get married in Europe, does anyone know how long it would take for him to be allowed into the US? Thanks again!

Comment

Hi Marie423 ...

Well that's really good ... then you should go for fiancée visa ... well if u wanna go there and marry in Europe .... You need to find out first if that country in Europe allows to do DCF = Direct Consular Filing ... if yes then I would suggest you to go for this option ....

Well for more info u can visit this one ... where u shall find other links too ...

http://www.immigrate2us.net/forum/vi...438&highlight=

visit this link too it has got a lot of info on all kinda visa you might go for ...

http://www.kamya.com/intro/index.html

DCF could be very fast way like I got my visa in 108 days but it depends on individual cases ... its just my experience ...and fiancée visa you can get in less than 6 months too if everything goes ok in your case ... Good luck ... Pasha

Comment

Marie423: In my opinion best way to process your case will be to get married in Europe.
            Before you can go to www.state.gov, and click on US Embassy in your country, then go to consular section or Immigration visa you will get all info. their is no waiting time for the spouse of USC Consul will approve the petition rightaway and sooner he collects all papers he will be issued with the immigration visa.But you and he will had to proof to the consul that he will not become a public charge in US.
            You can also send the e-mail to all Emabssy and Consulate via Department of State at same web you can locate. within two three months he will be in US. Hope I have clear all points.

Comment

If his embassy has the DCF it will be quicker, but if not I think the fiance visa has less of a burden to prove than a marriage in the eyes of the embassy. Since fiance is nonimmigrant and spousal visa is immigrant, the standards are different.. also if he is from a visa waiver country and can get a tourist visa here, i would just marry him here, and then adjust status without going thru foreign embassy at all. keep in mind he will NOT be able to leave the country until he adjusts status in the usa. and also if the POE sniffs out he has immigrant intent and he is coming on a tourist visa he can be turned around at the port. normally i wouldnt recommend skirting the laws, but my situation has been ridiculous waiting on the embassy to adjudicate a freaking petition and i havent seen my husband in over a year... its a joke trying to do things the legal way...

Comment

You might want to check your service center and see how fast they are processing. The fiance visa and K-3 seem to go back and forth with one taking more time than the other and then less and so on. DCF sounds like the very quickest way IF his country allows that. The fiance visa is nice because you have 90 days to get married and that would allow you all to spend more time together before marrying and would also allow your friends and family to attend the wedding if you wanted that.

Comment

yep...in short try first DCF if not then go for fiancee visa ... good luck

Comment

If you want more time to get to know him before tying the knot, you could look into a student visa or something. Marriage after just 3 visits and a long-distance 7 month courtship might not be the wisest thing to do. Of course, it is definately none of my business.
                    Have a nice day

Comment

I just want to add this.

Marie423 wrote : ...just come over and get married within 3 months time...

If you do get married while he entered under the VWP within the firts 60 days you will be accountable for marriagefraud. If you get married between 60 and 90 days, they still can assume this but have to have reasonable proof.
                      After 90 days you should be fine unless there is ofcourse real fraud involved.

Like may said... the fianceevisa is the right way to go.

Good luck.

http://www.immigrate2us.net
                      I am not a lawyer nor do I claim to be one so please double-check any information given by me, or anyone else for that matter, with a certified (immigration)lawyer before you take any further steps.

Comment

Hi,
                        After a two year long distance courtship, my Canadian crossed to come see me in L.A. and we just looked at one another and said, it's time, no more good-byes. We got married, thinking we should do it while he was still in status so there wouldn't be an overstay on his record when it came time to deal with the INS. Now we know we should have waited ninety days and then married. INS couldn't assume or presume a "preconceived intent to marry" by lying at the border to get in for a "visit" if he actually intended to become an immigant and stay(i.e. a type of fraud they can deport him for). Had we waited ninety days to wed, even his ovestay would have been forgiven. Now, we have to sweat out the AOS interview in case they decide to question the date he arrived and the quick wedding after he crossed over. We ealier had explored the Fiance Visa thing, but rejected it since once you file it on either end, they close the borders to him and he can't cross to see you until they get around to approving it which can take months, and they can still say "no" and then he can't cross again for a long time because they assume the next time he crosses y'all will just go ahead and marry. The fiance visa (the "right" way to do it) was just too risky and too long a wait for us, since, like you, all we want is to be together. However, I think you may have to be prepared to show you knew one another for a couple of years with lots of contact (trips, huge phone bills, etc.) in order to convince them it's a bona fide marriage. Good luck!

Comment

Agreed, most likely any overstay will be waived. But if they would charge you with marriagefraud it will be alot more difficult to enter the US than when the fianceevisa is denied.
                          I am not a lawyer nor do I claim to be one so please double-check any information given by me, or anyone else for that matter, with a certified (immigration)lawyer before you take any further steps.

Comment

Yeah, but we were willing to take that chance, for at least we would be married (so important for us since we're not gettin' any younger and already waited two years) and we've have many months starting our lives together with only the off chance the INS would persue the Preconceived Intent to Marry thing. If they do (unlikely as it is), we are told we can appeal and it's usually won, but if not, it's easier for me to go wtih him to Canada as his spouse and live there. Either way, we are together and that's the bottom line for us.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation