Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAN SOMEONE GET MARRIED W/O A SS#?

CAN A COUPLE GET MARRIED WITHOUT ONE OF THEM NOT HAVING A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER? I HAVE HEARD DIFFERENT ANSWERS TO THIS AND I AM THINKING THAT IT IS POSSIBLE.
    THANKS!

22F TEXAS!

POSTS FROM MICHAEL WILL NOT BE READ : )

CAN A COUPLE GET MARRIED WITHOUT ONE OF THEM NOT HAVING A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER? I HAVE HEARD DIFFERENT ANSWERS TO THIS AND I AM THINKING THAT IT IS POSSIBLE.
    THANKS!

22F TEXAS!

POSTS FROM MICHAEL WILL NOT BE READ : )

Comment

Of course you can.

However, you can't get married without a valid identification document. I think it has to be issued by a country/state (not some school ID).

Comment

Foreign passport will do it. That is why I showed in NY.

Comment

Ooops typo. It should have said "That is WHAT I showed in NY".

They look at my US visa (K-1) and it seems they understood it better than the ID section of my passport.

Comment

My husband and I had to have our birth certificates and our drivers license to prove residency. This was in MI. Not sure what other states may ask for but I don't think a SS # is ever asked for.

Comment

Thank you so much for the really nice and helpful comments. See, in my situation he has a passport that is valid but the visa he has is expired... : ( Will they still marry us even if his visa is expired? I am marrying him 110% because I LOVE him, and part of it is helping him so we can have a happy life together. I know it will be hard in some ways, but we are going to do anything we can to be married soon. : )

Comment

I woudn't worry that his visa is expired if he has a valid passport. For marriage procedure only, it's really nobody's business if you're legal or not. They only need proof that you are the individual you claim you are.

Comment

ok, here is the problem with all of these answers. they might all be correct, but in the end it DEPENDS ON THE STATE you live in what information you need to bring.
                  for example i got married in Colorado and a birth-certificate is not accepted as identification. so make sure you go to the homepage of your state government or clerk and recorder and find out what rules apply to the state that you are getting married in

Comment

According to the US Laws Birth certificate, SS Card is not your identification:

Identification means some thing Which has your complete Name, date of birth place/Country of birth, with your current photo.
                    The best Id for foreign Nationals is their Passports and local Driver license, they always need two forms of ID's.

Comment

that reminds me of my cousin who is here on atourist visa and alredy made a girlfriend who is a USC and they are planning to get married soon. WILL he have to go bak to get a K1 or can he apply for an AOS.. he is here since three weeks now and has an I-94 stamped for three months.

Comment

and yes how much time will it take for him to get a GC and in what status can he stay on with her after getting married ? his i-94 IS VALID FOR SOME 9 more weeks and they are planning to get married very soon . what ID wud be required ?

Comment

aman
                          your cousin is likely to run into the following problems:
                          *if he gets married soon on his tourist visa the CIS might suspect that he entered the country with the intention of getting married. that is considered fraud and he would be subject to deportation and probably be barred from entering the US
                          *if he gets married soon on his tourist visa the CIS might suspect that the marriage is not legit since your cousin and his girl-friend have known each other for only a short period of time
                          *if he leaves the country and they apply for a K-1 visa the same problem might arise, since the two have only known each other for a short period of time.

therefore, the best thing to do would be for him to stay the three months that his visa allows him, to take tons of pictures and collect a lot of evidence proving that their relationship is legit, then go back to his home-country and apply for the K-1. if they are not in a hurry she might go and visit him there which would improve evidence.

if that is not an option because for example they could not stand to be apart for the couple of months it would take for the K-1 to be approved, the other option would be to wait a couple of months and then get married (again collect evidence) that way it will be easier to convince the CIS that the marrige is in good faith. he would still have to prove that he didn't come here with the intention of getting married here, but if he hadn't met his girlfriend before that should then be fairly easy.
                          If he overstays his visa before he gets married that would then be forgiven through the marriage-based AOS. However, if he overstays for more than 180 days he SHOULD NOT leave the US until he has his green-card.
                          The danger of overstaying his current visa would be that in case they split up before they get married he would be subject to the 3/10 year bar.

Comment

as the the ID requiered you should check the regulation for your state as it differs.
                            the passport will usually suffice. the will ask for a SS# to which he should reply with 'don't have one'

Comment

HI SWEETIE,
                              A FRIEND OF MINE ENTERED AS A TOURIST AND THE IMMIGRATION GAVE HER ONLY ONE MONTH VISA WITHOUT KNOWING COZ WHAT SHE KNOWS THE SAME LENGTH OF VISA THEY ISSUED WHEN SHE APPLIED,TO MAKE THE STORY SHORY SHE'S OVER STAY FOR 2 YRS.AND NOW SHE GOT MARRIED AND RECEIVED ALREADY HER ID ,WORKING PERMIT AND OTHERS.JUST BE STRONG AND YOU KNOW PASSPORT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT AND WHATEVER ID YOU HAVE.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation