X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONFUSED... H1B 6 years limit... HELP

Hi,

I got my first H1B visa on July 1999 and came into US on Aus 1999 for my first job. Last year I changed my employer and I recently received my new H1B approval valid till Nov 2006.

Just confused how the 6 year limit works??? My 6 years of H1B should be over by Aus 2005 but my new approval allows me to stay more than 7 years on H1B. Will I be violating if I stay more than 6 years even if I have valid H1B approval

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hi,

I got my first H1B visa on July 1999 and came into US on Aus 1999 for my first job. Last year I changed my employer and I recently received my new H1B approval valid till Nov 2006.

Just confused how the 6 year limit works??? My 6 years of H1B should be over by Aus 2005 but my new approval allows me to stay more than 7 years on H1B. Will I be violating if I stay more than 6 years even if I have valid H1B approval

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Comment

Hello. You are correct. Your maximum stay would end in July 2005... You should bring up the new H-1B dates with the attorney who did the H on your behalf so that they may request an amendment. If you were to stay with the H-1B with the wrong date you would be violating your status, even if the new H-1B date technically extends your stay. This happens all the time. It is best that your employer file an amended H so that you don't run the risk of overstaying your visa, thus jeopardizing your future immigration chances.

Comment

Thanks a lot for you response

Was wondering when the H1B 6 year limit clock starts

1)From the start date mentioned in the first I-797 approval (April 1999)
        2) The day the first H1B visa was stamped in the passport (July 1999)
        3) The day I first entered US (Aug 1999)

Thanks again

Originally posted by NYCImmParalegal:

Hello. You are correct. Your maximum stay would end in July 2005... You should bring up the new H-1B dates with the attorney who did the H on your behalf so that they may request an amendment. If you were to stay with the H-1B with the wrong date you would be violating your status, even if the new H-1B date technically extends your stay. This happens all the time. It is best that your employer file an amended H so that you don't run the risk of overstaying your visa, thus jeopardizing your future immigration chances.

Comment

H-1B clock starts from the day you enter the US in that status (Aug 1999).

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation