X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprint_girl07
    replied
    Scottishlass, if he came over as her husband (marriage based), he will be able to apply for citizenship only 3 yrs after he received his green card.
    It's 5 yrs for most others.

Leave a comment:

• scottishlass
    replied
    no, hes not elegible yet, he hasnt been an LPR long enough yet as my step-mom lived over here for a while before they moved to her hometown in NC.

I think my best option will be to get married then get my step mom to petition for me and my fiance, i think anyway.

Leave a comment:

• swissnut
    replied
    Is your Dad eligible for citizenship yet?
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scottishlass:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sprint_girl07:
    Your Welcome Scottishlass

Could you send some haggis over please, when you move?

So what would be easier regarding her fiance?

Come over as unmarried daughter, wait for LPR, then marry fiance and apply for a K3 visa to bring him over?
    or wait for other 3rd preference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha, yea i will bring u haggis, do u know that you can actually buy it in a tin now, haha, my dad takes it back with him wen hes been visiting, my step brother loves it.

this is all confusing i must say, but i think, from looking at web pages and reading everyones helpful information it may be married then petition from my step mum as third preference. what alot of information all of which i am grateful but also for which has puzzled me as everyone has different opinions, lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leave a comment:

• Sprint_girl07
    replied
    LOL No I didn't know that. My son loves it, his old teacher in infant school back home was Scottish and kept bringing it in for the kids.

Yes, it is rather confusing. I am sure you will chose which option is best in the end.
    Which State is your dad in?

Leave a comment:

• scottishlass
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sprint_girl07:

Come over as unmarried daughter, wait for LPR, then marry fiance and apply for a K3 visa to bring him over?
    or wait for other 3rd preference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha, yea i will bring u haggis, do u know that you can actually buy it in a tin now, haha, my dad takes it back with him wen hes been visiting, my step brother loves it.

this is all confusing i must say, but i think, from looking at web pages and reading everyones helpful information it may be married then petition from my step mum as third preference. what alot of information all of which i am grateful but also for which has puzzled me as everyone has different opinions, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Sprint_girl07
    replied
    That is why I left it to some more knowledgeable folks to answer as it is very complicated when it is older children and their spouses.

Hey Scottishlass, you must stick around even after you have all your answers, we need some Scottish blood in these parts! LOL

Leave a comment:

• scottishlass
    replied
    i will be getting married before getting my pettion done, which i beleive my step mum can then petition me under third preference and also my fiance when he turns into my husband, i think!

Its just so confusing!

Leave a comment:

• Sprint_girl07
    replied

or wait for other 3rd preference?

Leave a comment:

• swissnut
    replied
    If father has been in the USA as an LPR for 3 years he's eligible for Naturalisation and could speed up the process. He could petition her now as an LPR, apply for Naturalization and upgrade petition once a USC. That way she'd be an immediate relative and not subject to visa availability.

Leave a comment:

• speed_025
    replied
    my mistake on that one swissnut.

I already considered her married

Leave a comment:

• swissnut
    replied
    And married as 3rd 15MAY00. If you are petitioned as an unmarried child, then you can't marry in the interim.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by swissnut:
    Visa bulletin show Family 1st 15FEB02 <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scottishlass:
    Preference Categories
    If you wish to immigrate as a relative of a U.S. Citizen or lawful permanent resident, you must obtain an immigrant visa number based on the preference category in which you fall.

People who want to become immigrants are classified into categories based on a preference system. The immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, which includes parents, spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21, do not have to wait for an immigrant visa number to become available once the visa petition filed for them is approved by USCIS. An immigrant visa number will become immediately available. The relatives in the remaining categories must wait for an immigrant visa number to become available according to the following preferences:

First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Adult means 21 years of age or older.
    Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents, their unmarried children (under twenty-one), and the unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents.
    Third preference: Married sons and daughters of u.s. citizens
    Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. Citizens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leave a comment:

• swissnut
    replied
    Visa bulletin show Family 1st 15FEB02 <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scottishlass:
    Preference Categories
    If you wish to immigrate as a relative of a U.S. Citizen or lawful permanent resident, you must obtain an immigrant visa number based on the preference category in which you fall.

People who want to become immigrants are classified into categories based on a preference system. The immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, which includes parents, spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21, do not have to wait for an immigrant visa number to become available once the visa petition filed for them is approved by USCIS. An immigrant visa number will become immediately available. The relatives in the remaining categories must wait for an immigrant visa number to become available according to the following preferences:

First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Adult means 21 years of age or older.
    Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents, their unmarried children (under twenty-one), and the unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents.
    Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. Citizens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leave a comment:

• speed_025
    replied
    Read Swissnut post:

If you are 12 at the time they got married you
    then she can petition you.

you are considered a stepchild

Leave a comment:

• scottishlass
    replied
    Preference Categories

Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. Citizens.

Leave a comment:

• scottishlass
    replied
    I have been reading up some things,

My father is a LPR and my mother a US Citizen by birth, they got married when i was about 12 years old, which means she can petition for me, also for married children i think.

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation