Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do i do from here on? Please help.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do i do from here on? Please help.....

I was in an orphanage in Colombia, South America. I (10 years old at that time)came to the United States at the age of 10 in December 1983 to complete my adoption by United States parents (U.S Citizens). I was given a passport by the country of Colombia and i am assuming i was also given a Visa by the United States Embassy in Bogota, Colombia.

Upon arriving in the United States (Miami, FL - Eastern Airlines) there was a one year period to ensure that i and my newly U.S Citizen parents would get along. The final adoption decision/papers was completed after that one year. I was also issued a Social Security Number and a birth certificate from the North Carolina Vital Records Office - the birth certificate was issued for that of a child of foreign birth - these record i do have along with my final adoption papers.

Upon arriving in the United States, my parents enrolled me into the Public School System (started out in third grade). My parents not knowing any better never applied to get me naturalized or renewed my Visa since they assumed i would be a U.S Citizen since i was adopted by United States Citizens. However i just recently discovered (June 2005 - i am now 31 years old), that being adopted by U.S Citizens as a minor does not make you a U.S Citizen automatically.

I went on to graduate from High School and onto College. In other words i have been working since my senior year in high school (i have been working since 1993) - I work in Information Technology as of now.

As it stands right now, i no longer have the passport that was issued to me by the country of Colombia, nor any record of a Visa, nor an alien registration card, nor green card, nor a permanent resident card. I got rid of my passport issued by the country of Colombia back in 1993, since my parents always told me that i was automatically a U.S Citizen by adoption of U.S Citizens.

Since i have no record of my passport or arriving in the United States - i am working to file a G-639 under the Freedom of Information Act to acquire any information in which USCIS or INS would have on me - this will take anywhere from 1 to 2 months to receive.

I guess my question would be what is the best and worst case scenario for me? Could i face deportation? Also it seems i may have been working illegally all this time and not knowing it eventhought i was given a Social Security Number and have filed taxes every working year.

What do i need to do next after i get back my information from filing the G-130 form?

I was in an orphanage in Colombia, South America. I (10 years old at that time)came to the United States at the age of 10 in December 1983 to complete my adoption by United States parents (U.S Citizens). I was given a passport by the country of Colombia and i am assuming i was also given a Visa by the United States Embassy in Bogota, Colombia.

Upon arriving in the United States (Miami, FL - Eastern Airlines) there was a one year period to ensure that i and my newly U.S Citizen parents would get along. The final adoption decision/papers was completed after that one year. I was also issued a Social Security Number and a birth certificate from the North Carolina Vital Records Office - the birth certificate was issued for that of a child of foreign birth - these record i do have along with my final adoption papers.

Upon arriving in the United States, my parents enrolled me into the Public School System (started out in third grade). My parents not knowing any better never applied to get me naturalized or renewed my Visa since they assumed i would be a U.S Citizen since i was adopted by United States Citizens. However i just recently discovered (June 2005 - i am now 31 years old), that being adopted by U.S Citizens as a minor does not make you a U.S Citizen automatically.

I went on to graduate from High School and onto College. In other words i have been working since my senior year in high school (i have been working since 1993) - I work in Information Technology as of now.

As it stands right now, i no longer have the passport that was issued to me by the country of Colombia, nor any record of a Visa, nor an alien registration card, nor green card, nor a permanent resident card. I got rid of my passport issued by the country of Colombia back in 1993, since my parents always told me that i was automatically a U.S Citizen by adoption of U.S Citizens.

Since i have no record of my passport or arriving in the United States - i am working to file a G-639 under the Freedom of Information Act to acquire any information in which USCIS or INS would have on me - this will take anywhere from 1 to 2 months to receive.

I guess my question would be what is the best and worst case scenario for me? Could i face deportation? Also it seems i may have been working illegally all this time and not knowing it eventhought i was given a Social Security Number and have filed taxes every working year.

What do i need to do next after i get back my information from filing the G-130 form?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation