Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• illegal immigrant conned me

hi, i met a colombian guy 5 1/2 years ago. he was younger than i was.we worked together and started dating.during our relationship, things got serious...he eventually told me that he was not legal. i didn't even know all that that entailed. we got married in a very small ceremony. looking back know, i felt i was kind of bullied into it. i know, i know, i must have been extrememly niave. i know, i was dumb.my family did not even approve of me dating him. none of my family was there. as time went on he started showing his true colors. did not treat me good. after about 2 years of marriage, i moved out. about a year later, i am trying to start divorce proceedings. he doesn't want to get divorced. his 1-751 is due in a few months. we either have to be divorced before he sends it away, which we wont have time to do, or he sends it in without me. i want to move on with my life. i need to find my happiness. get bak in control of my life. he on the otherhand will do whatever it takes i feel to get his greencard. i am scared. i avoid him at all costs. no kids together. he will not sign a marital seperation agreeement. i'm waiting to hera back from the divorce attorney. another problem is that the house that he still lives in is in my name, as well as the mortgage. i am terrified that he will ruin my credit by being late or not paying. what can i do? how do i get away form him by getting divorced, and him out of my house? thanks

hi, i met a colombian guy 5 1/2 years ago. he was younger than i was.we worked together and started dating.during our relationship, things got serious...he eventually told me that he was not legal. i didn't even know all that that entailed. we got married in a very small ceremony. looking back know, i felt i was kind of bullied into it. i know, i know, i must have been extrememly niave. i know, i was dumb.my family did not even approve of me dating him. none of my family was there. as time went on he started showing his true colors. did not treat me good. after about 2 years of marriage, i moved out. about a year later, i am trying to start divorce proceedings. he doesn't want to get divorced. his 1-751 is due in a few months. we either have to be divorced before he sends it away, which we wont have time to do, or he sends it in without me. i want to move on with my life. i need to find my happiness. get bak in control of my life. he on the otherhand will do whatever it takes i feel to get his greencard. i am scared. i avoid him at all costs. no kids together. he will not sign a marital seperation agreeement. i'm waiting to hera back from the divorce attorney. another problem is that the house that he still lives in is in my name, as well as the mortgage. i am terrified that he will ruin my credit by being late or not paying. what can i do? how do i get away form him by getting divorced, and him out of my house? thanks

Comment

Question, why do u think if u dont do what he wants that he will ruin ur credit . He is quite capable of doing it if u do what he requests.

The marriage is over, its not a big deal, he can file after the divorce with a waiver, do not be bullied into this that he is requesting. Apart from the fact that he demands that u commit fraud. What happens if he gets called for an interview are u going to go with him and play happy families? that is just BS.

So i take it that the house is not in joint names? get an eviction notice. Give him notice to leave first, if he doesnt then get a court order. Whatever he will do he is going to do anyway. Why prolong the agony.

Comment

Report him immediately to the authorities! Get his rearend deported ASAP. Take the upper hand and get his illegal behind out of your house and on a plane headed to Columbia!

Comment

the house is not in joint names, but we live in a dowry state. which means it is half his. can i still get an eviction notice?
          i agree. i just want this marriage over. this is now a contested divorce. does that take a long time? and then if he does get deported i am scared that in 10 years when he is allowed back, that he will try and find me and hurt me

Comment

Forget the divorce. File for annulement of marriage based on fraud. It's obivous he married you for green card and only for green card.

If you can do that, he'll get deported and banned for life from entering US ever again.

Comment

wont I get in trouble if i file an annulment? he works 2 jobs, goes to college full time...i just want to sever ties... thanks for all the advice so far from everyone

Comment

well you have answer from lots of people already... I think its not justice to answer or advise after only hearing one side of the story.... anyone can come here and say he was naieve.. etc but.. you dated him for 5 1/2 years, married for two years.. you are living under same roof....
                due to same reason Immigration Law has marriage validity only two years...
                I can't comment on the subject because one have to hear other side too... who ever comment without hearing both sides are proving their intelligence...
                Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mohan:
                  who ever comment without hearing both sides are proving their intelligence... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  You think you are the only smart one, huh? Do you think her husband's going to magically appear here and admit he married her for green card if he did?

Comment

Get yourself a good lawyer and make sure you get a fair settlement. Make sure you inform CIS about your true reasons for divorce but don't "embellish" things, that could well amount to a federal crime and you sure don't want to deal with that.

Divorce is a very difficult and emotional process, you may feel cheated and frustrated now but make sure you don't let your emotions get you in trouble. Every divorce does not amount to fraud; as a matter of fact, people get divorced every day for the very same reasons you describe. In any case, CIS will investigate regardless of your claims and they will make a determination in light of the evidence available.

Popular "culture" will automatically brand every divorce as fraud when an immigrant is involved, but nothing could be further from the truth. This is the time to act with a cool head and make sure you act in your best interest and that of your children (if any). Things go sour all the time when it comes to relationships and the phrase "didn't treat me good" only evidences that perhaps the guy doesn't know how to treat another, or that he's rude and the such. You're dealing with legal terms and no matter how bad you want him to suffer as much as possible, trying to use the law for personal purposes will only degrade you to his level.

Let your lawyer handle things, but keep yourself informed, avoid aggravating confrontations that will only serve to prolong suffering.

This is a very difficult situation and you should consult with a lawyer, a forum like this only expresses the opinions of particulars and these posts should never be constructed as valid or legal advice.

It wasn't my intention to upset you, I just wanted you to know what you're really dealing with. Again, get yourself a lawyer.

To ProudUSC, now you see why my idea about "permanent conditional status", discussed in another thread, makes sense? That would simplify things quite a bit for those who intend to marry for legit reasons and would eliminate the 2 year time limitation that hinders investigations.

-THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE-

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jett:
                      wont I get in trouble if i file an annulment? he works 2 jobs, goes to college full time...i just want to sever ties... thanks for all the advice so far from everyone </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                      I don't see why you would get in trouble. It makes no difference what he does for his job or what school he goes to. If he truly married you for green card, then it is a fraud. Talk to your lawyer about it. It is the cleanest way for you to end the marriage, and he will have no claim on your asset. It will be like the marriage never happened in the eyes of the law.

Comment

she does not have grounds for an annulment. Alone the length of time dating and marriage makes her inelligble. And an annulment could take years. It seems to me that annulment on here is the magic word to delete a part of someones lives as though it didnt happen.

Basically she is saying the marriage is over, and now what does she do. First things first get ur life in order again where u can live again. Whether he wants the divorce or not, she does. So get it.

A dowry state, then go to a lawyer and get it drawn up what is his and urs and sort out a payment plan for both of u, or sell the house and split the profits or the debt. But get legal help or u might find urself in trouble.

His paperwork. Its not difficult. The marriage has ended, his unconditional GC is not an option for him anymore based on the marriage to u. Until, that is the divorce is finalised. Where he can then resubmit and hope that he convinces the immi that he entered the marriage in good faith. Obviously u went into it with open eyes. But do not go along with his plan to try and deceive the immi into thinking ur marriage is still actual. You could find urself in deep trouble. His well being isnt ur concern anymore. You have to look after nr 1. And obviously getting out of a unhealthy marriage is the first step. Good luck

Comment

thank you for the good advice. i am menatlly healthy and stable to, move on. he will not sign any paperwork. can i still get the divorce? i can't believe this is turning so ugly.

Comment

It all would depend on the particular state. The OP should consult with a lawyer, maybe legal aid if she can't afford counsel, and make sure she takes the route that's most convenient to her and her children (if any) without forsaking any of her rights or interests.

The OP should not listen to popular myths and voices telling her that she should manipulate immigration law to exact revenge. CIS will investigate no matter what, it's their job and responsibility. In real life, people change their minds all the time and, as the 9th circuit court of appeals recognized, aliens may not be required to have a marriage that's any more valid that that of a citizen.

Some states offer divorce by conversion, others do not. Even if she lives in a community state, the "sell the house or split it down the middle" phrase is yet another myth. She must consult with a lawyer.

-THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE-

Comment

i am not trying to "get him" or cause problems for him. i just want to end all contact with him. i am still waiting for my divorce lawyer to call me back. orignally it was an uncontested divorce,now he does not want it. he will not sign anything. i am being nice and still filing under irreconciable differences. i do not want revenge or anything, i just want to be free, own what is rightfully mine, and not have my credit harmed.thanks goodness we have no children. i am scared. i just want this to happen and fast.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation