Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interview

I am a south african citizen and have been in the united states for 12 years now. My parents never applied for my papers and in 2002 after dating a guy for over a year we got married. In 2003 i applied for my papers. Our marriage was ended due to verbal and physical abuse shortly after the marriage. We have not lived together since the end of 2003 and my interview is may 10. I would appreciate any advice any one could give me on the situation. thank you.

I am a south african citizen and have been in the united states for 12 years now. My parents never applied for my papers and in 2002 after dating a guy for over a year we got married. In 2003 i applied for my papers. Our marriage was ended due to verbal and physical abuse shortly after the marriage. We have not lived together since the end of 2003 and my interview is may 10. I would appreciate any advice any one could give me on the situation. thank you.

Comment

Please clarify. Did you enter the U.S. without inspection?

If so, then you wouldn't be able to adjust status in the U.S., married or not.

Comment

Hold on. Entering without inspection does not de facto make you inadmissible. Are you sure your parents did not file anything for you. If someone did prior to April 2001, you will be grandfathered under 245(i), thus you can adjust. If you already have a conditional greencard, you need to file an i-751 waiver. In case no green card yet, I will advise that you file a WAVA case if your spouse was abusive.
        All of the above will only be applicable if your marriage was bona fide (not fake).

I think you definitely need to consult an attorney familiar with family based immigration.

Good Luck

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed