X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EAD question.

Hi,
    me and my husband's (USC) petition was received Nov 8, 2006 by INS. I already had my fingerprints taken. Last week we received an invitation for Immig. interview for Jan 18, 2007. Do they issue the EAD after they approve the status at the interview, or before that? Not being able to work is getting on my nerves as I have Masters' degree and am used to being active (intelectually) :-/
    Thank for replies.

Hi,
    me and my husband's (USC) petition was received Nov 8, 2006 by INS. I already had my fingerprints taken. Last week we received an invitation for Immig. interview for Jan 18, 2007. Do they issue the EAD after they approve the status at the interview, or before that? Not being able to work is getting on my nerves as I have Masters' degree and am used to being active (intelectually) :-/
    Thank for replies.

Comment

Did you apply for EAD? (form 765). If you did, then they send you the EAD after you do biometrics.

Comment

I did apply for I765 and did my biometrics October 14 but so far no EAD

Comment

If it has been more than 90 days since you filed your I-765, make an InfoPass appointment to find out what the status is.

Comment

No, it hasn't been 90 days yet - the 90-days limit will be up about a week before our appointment
            Plus, we tried to schedule an InfoPass appointment and it said that none was available...The status online says it's being processed
            I guess we'll just wait.

Comment

You say that your interview is on January 18, 2007...which is not very far away. If your interview is successful, your status will be adjusted and you will become a Conditional Permanent Resident. At this point, you will NOT require an Employment Authorization Document. I understand that you're anxious to get to work, but it appears that you're stressing over nothing...especially as you acknowledge that the ninety-day period after submission won't end until mid-January in any event.

Comment

Thank you, SunDevil, I suppose you're right I won't stress anymore...hehe...I'll try One more question, as you seem to know a lot: I do not have SS number as I came here for a visit. Thus, me and my husband have no documents with both our names on them (except our marriage licence, of course ). Do you have any idea what kind of stuff we can bring to show them we really live together?

Comment

Well, first, I assume that you've not been married very long...so, at this stage, USCIS will not expect very much evidence regarding your marriage. The major submission of such evidence will come when you apply to remove the conditions on your residency, two years after adjustment (I-751).

Right now, they will be more interested in evidence of your courtship and dating...photos, visits, phone calls, testimonials from family and friends.

AS far as marriage evidence is concerned, they want to see things that they would expect you to do initially...joint health and life insurance (are you on your husband's health plan at work, and the named beneficiary on his life insurance policy?), joint bank account, joint car insurance, joint lease/mortgage agreement, etc.

Given that you don't have a Social Security Number and entered as a tourist, you may not yet have a driver license, so no joint car insurance at this time...USCIS understands this if you explain it.

Likewise, without a Social Security Number, you will likely be unable to have a joint bank account...explain that you will establish a joint account as soon as you're able to do so.

If you moved into your husband's exisiting home, they undrstand that your name isn't on the lease or mortgage documents. In two years, they might expect to see your name on such documents, and definitely if you have moved.

For sure, you should be on your husband's health insurance and life insurance policies, if he has such coverage.

USCIS understands that you have just recently arrived in the country, and have not yet established much in the way of evidence. That is why you will initially be awarded Conditional Residence (for those married less than two years at the time of adjustment). Two years after initial adjustment, you will apply to remove conditions (I-751), at which time very real evidence of ongoing marriage will be required.

I hope that this helps.

Comment

Thank you! It's good to hear that they won't expect me to have the evidence you mentioned...that's what we were assuming too. I am still paying my own insurance from my country because I cannot be put onto my husbands - he's a disabled veteran and they don't allow the spouses be on the same plan (unless they are/were in the US Army as well).
                    Your reply helped, sometimes I feel that in terms of US law etc. I'm almost non-existent because I do not have the documents...oh well, the love is the reward

Comment

Once you have your interview and become a Conditional Resident, it will not take you very long to begin accumulating documented evidence of your marriage.

After receiving your Social Security Number, you should open a joint bank and savings account, establish joint credit cards, etc. Upon receiving your driver license, ensure that you have joint auto insurance.

Going forward, everything possible should be in joint names.

Remember, two years (less ninety days) after your adjustment of status interview, you will have to apply to remove the conditions on your residency (I-751). That is when USCIS will expect you to provide rock-solid documented proof of your marriage.

One last point: the time between now and your interviews is not completely useless. Remember, as a professional, you understand that it may take you a while to find a suitable job opportunity. You are able to interview for jobs now...and explain to a prospective employer that you won't be available until early February 2007 (your interview is on January 18, 2007, and it will take about ten days after that to receive your social security number).

Good luck.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed