Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjustment of status through marriage? Now or later?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustment of status through marriage? Now or later?

Howdy Everyone,

I came across this forum and thought i'd give it a shot with a concern of mine. I've been in the US, in Texas, as a student for the last 5 years and will graduate this summer. My wife is from my same country of origin but born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia where she still goes to school and will graduate in december (9 months from now). We were married through a religious ceremony and also obtained a legal marriage license. Obviously we didn't yet move-in together. We're both about to graduate so it's pointless to switch universities! I thought i would rather apply for AOS when we move-in together in December, God Willing. However, the international student advisor at my university asked me to file for adjustment of status since i have "immigration intent"(through marriage to a USC) and so i called USCIS and asked if it's possible, given my situation (we don't yet live together), that i apply for adjustment of status and they said yes, as long as the marriage is bona-fide.

Now i have tons of pictures, long phone bills with thousand of minutes in phonecalls between us everyday, and airline tickets for an-almost-monthly trip to her state. I'm still worried though, thinking that it would be better if i apply after we move-in. But the earlier the better? What do you folks think?
    "A candle loses absolutely nothing by lighting another candle"

Howdy Everyone,

I came across this forum and thought i'd give it a shot with a concern of mine. I've been in the US, in Texas, as a student for the last 5 years and will graduate this summer. My wife is from my same country of origin but born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia where she still goes to school and will graduate in december (9 months from now). We were married through a religious ceremony and also obtained a legal marriage license. Obviously we didn't yet move-in together. We're both about to graduate so it's pointless to switch universities! I thought i would rather apply for AOS when we move-in together in December, God Willing. However, the international student advisor at my university asked me to file for adjustment of status since i have "immigration intent"(through marriage to a USC) and so i called USCIS and asked if it's possible, given my situation (we don't yet live together), that i apply for adjustment of status and they said yes, as long as the marriage is bona-fide.

Now i have tons of pictures, long phone bills with thousand of minutes in phonecalls between us everyday, and airline tickets for an-almost-monthly trip to her state. I'm still worried though, thinking that it would be better if i apply after we move-in. But the earlier the better? What do you folks think?

Comment

Okalian: How can your wife be "from my same country of origin" if she was "BORN and raised in Atlanta, Georgia?"

Your wife's country of origin is America.

If your wife is a native-born American, please explain how she can possibly be from your country of origin? I hope that your degree isn't in geography or nationality law.

Comment

I apologize for the confusion, i meant that we have the same background, i.e my parents and her parents come from the same country.

Comment

okalian,
          it should not be problem. i am saying this from my personal experience. when i applied for my AOS and got approved, me and my wife were in different states due to educational purposes and the aos interview person didn't even raise this issue at all. if u have a bonafide marriage then everything should be o.k. again,in todays world, life doesn't always follow according to the USCIS marriage guidelines and the folks at INS realize this.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation