X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC Problems

Hello All:

I hold a valid (not expired) green card. Left the US to visit home. Didn't know that I can't stay
    away from the US more than a year. I did. Was told to apply for a returning resident visa.
    Completed the form DS117. Was told that I would be interviewed first to determine if I am
    "qualfied". Had 2 interviews with the visa section staff in the US Embassy. Was verbally told
    that I don't qualify since I was away more than 1 year and the reason for staying away is not
    good enough. A good reason is if I had a heart attack or something similar whereby it is
    beyond my control. Ignorance is not a good reason!

1) Does this mean that I am no longer a PR?

2) What happens to me if I were to buy a ticket today and fly back to the US? I dare not do so
    yet because I was afraid that the immigration officer will take away my green card, put in jail
    and deport me. Will this happen?

3) If item 2 happens, then I will never be able to apply for my green card again. right?

4) can I still apply for a visitor visa or will my application be denied?

5) I want to go back to the US now but dare not.

Anyone out there can help me???

Thanks.

Hello All:

I hold a valid (not expired) green card. Left the US to visit home. Didn't know that I can't stay
    away from the US more than a year. I did. Was told to apply for a returning resident visa.
    Completed the form DS117. Was told that I would be interviewed first to determine if I am
    "qualfied". Had 2 interviews with the visa section staff in the US Embassy. Was verbally told
    that I don't qualify since I was away more than 1 year and the reason for staying away is not
    good enough. A good reason is if I had a heart attack or something similar whereby it is
    beyond my control. Ignorance is not a good reason!

1) Does this mean that I am no longer a PR?

2) What happens to me if I were to buy a ticket today and fly back to the US? I dare not do so
    yet because I was afraid that the immigration officer will take away my green card, put in jail
    and deport me. Will this happen?

3) If item 2 happens, then I will never be able to apply for my green card again. right?

4) can I still apply for a visitor visa or will my application be denied?

5) I want to go back to the US now but dare not.

Anyone out there can help me???

Thanks.

Comment

In essence, you abandoned your residency by staying outside the country for over a year without permission. It is doubtful that you would be granted a tourist visa as you are trying to return home not visit.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation