Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conditional residency and leaving country....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARQU
    replied
    Income generates Tax liabilty somewhere... Simple as that.

There are a thousand considerations but basically if you earn income in a foreign country, you will have to claim it as income and pay tax on it in BOTH coutries (ie: double tax). However, many countries have tax treaties between them (ie: US & Canada) that allows you to claim a foreign tax credit and therefore wipe out the 'lower' tax of the two (you will pay the higher rate to either the foreign country or the US).

I am no tax expert so I could be very wrong on all this. However, I can speak from experience that if I earn income in Canada (or have assets that are taxable), then I am subject to Revenue Canada's taxation as well as the IRS on that income. I can claim the US tax as a credit on my Canadian tax filing, but will have to pay the 15% or so difference to Canada. (45% vs 30% or whatever it works out to).

As I mentioned, this is only my take on this. I would STRONGLY advise you to consult the appropriate tax laws of the two countries involved (ie: US & ?) to see if it is even worth working outside the US or not. OFTEN IT IS NOT!

ARQU

Leave a comment:

• Pasha Patel
    replied
    Hi nireehamdi ,

I hope everything is going well with you... I can only answer to part of your questions... no it wont be considered as residency abandoned if he/she goes out of country for 6 months... but make sure he comes back before his conditional green card expires... if he plans to stay for more than a year then he will have to obtain a reentry permit before leaving USA ....

I don't think foreign income can be counted in income tax as its not earned in USA but I have no idea about this... well if u guys are filing jointly then it wouldn't matter even if he didn't work for some period...but I may be wrong on this one...I m no tax expert...so ask 4now about this...I m sure 4now will competently answer to this one...good luck...Pasha

Leave a comment:

• Arun
    replied
    nireehamdi, R u still that same guy ? I have read your past post. Is he still having his girlfriend ?

Leave a comment:

• nireehamdi
    replied
    Sorry, no I am not...I am the US citizen....
    i am not a pretender at much of anything.

Leave a comment:

• Depo Man
    replied
    I smell something fishy; are you the alien who pretends to be USC on this board?

Leave a comment:

• nireehamdi
    replied
    QUestion on: What if coniditonal residency
    husband or wife....during this period decides]
    to return to home country and work for a period]of time....(I would assume it would have to be a
    short period like 6 months to a year)....or the
    case might be thought of as abandoned.....also, what about filing income taxes....I would assume
    that foreign income has to be counted.. but I
    do not know.... ANY COMMENTS.... Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• nireehamdi
    started a topic Conditional residency and leaving country....

Conditional residency and leaving country....

QUestion on: What if coniditonal residency
    husband or wife....during this period decides]
    to return to home country and work for a period]of time....(I would assume it would have to be a
    short period like 6 months to a year)....or the
    case might be thought of as abandoned.....also, what about filing income taxes....I would assume
    that foreign income has to be counted.. but I
    do not know.... ANY COMMENTS.... Thanks.
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney