Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christopher Rose

Christopher Rose was killed in the streets of Baghdad on June 29. He was the friend and buddy or my cousin who is also serving in Iraq.

Chris was 21 and serving in the 1st Battalion, 67th Armored Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, when he stepped on an improvised explosive device (IED) while on patrol in Baghdad on June 29. The explosion severely injured him and sent him into shock, dying before a Blackhawk helicopter could take him to a hospital.

Chris had enlisted in the US Army in November of 2004 to serve the country as his father, Rudy, had done in Vietnam and as his grandfather, Benito, had done in WW II and in Korea.

Chris was dispatched to Iraq in November 2005 for a one-year tour of duty, scheduled to return in October of 2006. Within a few months of his arrival in Baghdad, Chris' humvee struck an IED causing an explosion. Chris saw figures running from the scene and radioed his commander for instructions. He was ordered to shoot and he did. When he examined the three bodies, he discovered that he had killed kids.

"It was a justified killing, but he never got over it," Rudy Rose told a San Francisco Chronicle reporter. "It bothered him terribly, because they were just kids. He talked to his superiors, all the way up to his commanding officer, who basically told him, ˜That's war.' But after that, whenever I talked to him, he sounded very depressed."

Chris was home on leave in the Bay Area over the Memorial Day weekend in May but he was back in Baghdad in early June. Within days of his return, Chris was wounded in the arm by an IED. "He wasn't fully recovered by the end of the month, but he insisted on going back out on patrol," his sister, Suzette, said.

Rudy Rose told the Chronicle reporter that he was bothered by the fact that his son was allowed back on patrol even though he was still recuperating from his injuries. "He had told me before he went back on patrol that the wound was hurting him a lot, and he was using pain medications,"

"He was going to take criminal justice courses and go into law enforcement," Rudy told friends who gathered at St. Augustine's Church for his funeral mass. "School was always his goal."

Christopher Rose was killed in the streets of Baghdad on June 29. He was the friend and buddy or my cousin who is also serving in Iraq.

Chris was 21 and serving in the 1st Battalion, 67th Armored Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, when he stepped on an improvised explosive device (IED) while on patrol in Baghdad on June 29. The explosion severely injured him and sent him into shock, dying before a Blackhawk helicopter could take him to a hospital.

Chris had enlisted in the US Army in November of 2004 to serve the country as his father, Rudy, had done in Vietnam and as his grandfather, Benito, had done in WW II and in Korea.

Chris was dispatched to Iraq in November 2005 for a one-year tour of duty, scheduled to return in October of 2006. Within a few months of his arrival in Baghdad, Chris' humvee struck an IED causing an explosion. Chris saw figures running from the scene and radioed his commander for instructions. He was ordered to shoot and he did. When he examined the three bodies, he discovered that he had killed kids.

"It was a justified killing, but he never got over it," Rudy Rose told a San Francisco Chronicle reporter. "It bothered him terribly, because they were just kids. He talked to his superiors, all the way up to his commanding officer, who basically told him, ˜That's war.' But after that, whenever I talked to him, he sounded very depressed."

Chris was home on leave in the Bay Area over the Memorial Day weekend in May but he was back in Baghdad in early June. Within days of his return, Chris was wounded in the arm by an IED. "He wasn't fully recovered by the end of the month, but he insisted on going back out on patrol," his sister, Suzette, said.

Rudy Rose told the Chronicle reporter that he was bothered by the fact that his son was allowed back on patrol even though he was still recuperating from his injuries. "He had told me before he went back on patrol that the wound was hurting him a lot, and he was using pain medications,"

"He was going to take criminal justice courses and go into law enforcement," Rudy told friends who gathered at St. Augustine's Church for his funeral mass. "School was always his goal."

Comment

Macyuhoo, is that your friend that you're talking about?

I'm sorry to hear it.

Comment

No, it's my cousin's buddy both living in San Francisco. That's why I'm telling my cousin to come back home; but he's just stubborn. He's so pro-Bush and that's what we usually argue about. He was not called but volunteered to go to Iraq. He's my first cousin. His mom and my dad are brother and sister. Thanks for asking. I'm 100% against this Iraq War...but let's pray for the troops.

Comment

Let's pray. My friends cousin was killed there too. It is horrible.

Comment

I can't lie, I am missing Antifascist1.
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sorry, I brought it up.

Comment

Soldiers have no choice but to go and fight the war even if it's against their will. For those principled and truly against it, many went to Canada. The problem in the military is that they follow this strict policy of "obey first, question later". As a result of this policy, many innocents are killed.

Comment

"obey first, question later"
                That a very good principle. Solders should be disciplined.

Macyuhoo, you know my opinion about wars. I don't support them in general, but sometimes we just DON'T HAVE A CHOICE!

Here listen to this:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agr5f...s%20the%20love

Comment

I'm just so worried about my cousin whose girl friend and mom often cry. My cousin is just so passionate about his role. At first, his only intention to join the service was to be able to get education, the GI bill. They come from simple middle class family. But as years went buy, he became more involved into the system. I now wonder if there's some brainwashing within the military. I know they have the brotherhood, some kind of fraternity and camaraderie. But, they may be functioning like a Cult. Last time I saw him, he acted weird and impulsive. He used to be a cool calm guy...but quite different now.

Comment

. At first, his only intention to join the service was to be able to get education, the GI bill. They come from simple middle class family. But as years went buy, he became more involved into the system. I now wonder if there's some brainwashing within the military. I know they have the brotherhood, some kind of fraternity and camaraderie. But, they may be functioning like a Cult. Last time I saw him, he acted weird and impulsive. He used to be a cool calm guy...
                    War change people because they see death and they kill, military change people, because they give an oath to government to kill and die for 'CAUSE'.

I have a very subjective, religion based opinion about this whole military and wars matter. So it is a personal thing.

Most men from my mother's side were in military, my uncle still is. My grandfather worked for Secret Agency, he was a spy. He wasn't allowed to tell it to no one except for his wife, my grandmother. I can't even imagine how they lived. They had to move from one place to another all the time. I would think they didn't have a 'normal' life. But that's what most of men are passionate about. It's in their nature, I guess. My grandfather loved to tell war stories and although he was intensively involved with military and ww2, he had good experiences I guess.

On the other hand, my father's parents went trough concentration campus. They've been there for 5 years. They've met there I think. They had their first child in 1945, 3 month before they were released. They never talked about the war, or about that period of their lives.

Comment

Your grandpa worked for secret agency? You mean CIA? And you said no one knew except your mom and grandma? A good agent doesn't even tell his wife. But now that you told us that your grandpa was a CIA agent, you've broken his secret. I now know your grandpa was.

Comment

All I know is what I said, let's not talk about him.

He passed away.

Comment

Sorry...he passed away. Indeed, there are many unseen heroes. Not only those who fight in combat...including the military doctors, nurses and technicians.

Comment

It's ok.

Comment

Soldiers have no choice but to go and fight the war even if it's against their will. For those principled and truly against it, many went to Canada. The problem in the military is that they follow this strict policy of "obey first, question later". As a result of this policy, many innocents are killed.
                              It is called respecting the chain of command and the principle is also incorporated into the federal service as well. However, they do have a choice: resign immediatey before deployment. However, many want both ways. They want the military life with its ranks and privledges, but not the consequences if called upon. Yes, soldiers do have opinions about what they are doing, but most who have served will tell you that what they did was the right thing even ift the politicians screwed up. Many Iraqi war protestors who went to Canada applied for assylum, which was denied based on Canada's strict immigration policy.
                              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation