Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsoring a Visa applicant

I've heard of many people sponsoring family members for a Visa. Is it possible to sponsor a friend? Does it typically help the applicant?

I've heard of many people sponsoring family members for a Visa. Is it possible to sponsor a friend? Does it typically help the applicant?

Comment

No.

Comment

what kind of visa we are talking about?

A friend can be "sponsor" for a tourist visa...

Comment

aneri, I'm not sure. I want my friend who's previously been unable to obtain a visa to come and visit me, so I suppose a tourist Visa is what we want. Is this the same as a laser Visa or border crossing card?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by missing.sonora:
            I've heard of many people sponsoring family members for a Visa. Is it possible to sponsor a friend? Does it typically help the applicant? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sponsor means that you will execute Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) for your friend, assuring the US government that your friend won't be a public liability during his temporary visit. It helps a little bit, but what carries more weight is the proof of his strong ties to his country that he cannot abandon.

Comment

Missing.Sonora: Your "friend" isn't your girlfriend anymore? Did you dump her?

Comment

Thanks Rough. I'm trying to learn all the ins and outs of the Visa process, so I'm not sure what is possible and what isn't. I've heard of people sponsoring others before, but I've always heard of it in relation to family members, not friends.

I think your last sentence is what is important here. My friend, and yes, as SunDevil so kindly pointed out, is my girlfriend. We are trying to work to get her a visa so she can visit me. She was denied a Visa in December based on the belief that she doesn't have sufficient ties to Mexico. I just wondered if me stepping in and guaranteeing financial responsibility would help in this matter, but it sounds as though it wouldn't.

Oh well. Thanks for the input.

Comment

no one can 'guarantee' behavior on behalf of another person. Everyone who applies for a tourist visa to the US is already PRESUMED to be coming here to stay until they (and only the applicant) satisifies the consular official that he or she will leave the US when they say and not try to remain...you cannot sign any silly piece of paper that would 'guarantee' that your gf would return, you have no legal authority over her nor anyone else that enters the US, ergo, how can you 'force' anyone to do what you say? And how could our embassy folks or border officials 'force' you to 'force' another person to board airplane (or bus) and return to their own country? Answer: you can't. Thus, any I 134, notarized or not, is worthless as far as guaranteeing someone else's behavior -- and the embassy folks don't care how much you earn or how much money you have in the bank...they are only going to wonder why your Mexican GF would go back to her $78 a month job rather than stay in the US with you...(and guess what their conclusion is going to be?)

Comment

Someone, please go back and read my post very, very carefully. I made NO MENTION whatsoever of guaranteeing her behavior. Here's a copy and paste for you:

I just wondered if me stepping in and guaranteeing financial responsibility would help in this matter

I was only guaranteeing that I would be financially responsible for her.

Comment

Hi Missing.Sonora,

I know someone in a similar situation as yours, but his girlfriend is not Mexican. She is Filipino. The US would not grant her a visitor visa either, so he filed a fiance visa for her. Our government over-scrutinizes people from certain countries. I hope you guys find some way to spend some time and get to know each other better.

Comment

United States of America will remain to be United States of America for a long, long while (with a looming economic recession or what not) - a shining city sitting up on the hill in the eyes of the world outside; people will come, or strive to come and yes, try to stay, no matter what!

You may call this irresponsible, I'd rather call it human nature - to want to be one with the winning team. What with family reunification and employment opportunities as major magnets? Yes, with worksite raids or what not; with I-9 and E-verify or what not...

I said it before, and I'm saying it again now, that I believe that America should overhaul the whole visa process: to account for who is entering and who have already 'slipped through the cracks' and already inside illegally.

There must be middle-ground visas like temporary Y's and Z's to satisfy middle-ground needs of aliens, but with built-in safeguards like hefty bonds with the US Embassy/Consulate of say $10,000 that's collectible only upon the alien's return after a temporary stay in the US.

Comment

The H visa work categories have very limited, if unrealistic, annual quotas. All the other visa types from E to U have limited takers due to strict qualifiers. If tourist (B1/B2) visas are continually restricted, states with heavy tourism-based economies will hurt like South Carolina, Nevada, Utah, Florida, etc. If student (F) visas are not issued, foreign students will go somewhere else like Canada, Europe, or Australia. And due to the absence of "middle-ground" visa types that I mentioned above, more and more aliens will abuse or misuse the currently existing visa types and add up to our ever-increasing illegal alien population!

Comment

Hi Missing Sonora,

I have read your previous post and hoped that you guys were able to finally come up with something...

Just in case that there is no other remedy, ProudUSC's suggestion (you visiting here instead) will somehow alleviate the pain of being apart.

Good luck!
                            Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

--John Wesley

Comment

Thanks Mrs. B. I do visit about once a month if I can, but it would be easier for me to bring her here every so often. I travel for business and it would be very nice for me to be able to fly her to, say, San Francisco or DC for a week to spend time with me.

And unfortunately, we are still trying to come up with a Visa for her. Oh well, all in due time I suppose.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation