X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had interview on monday... success!!

Hello everyone!

I just had my AOS interview based on marriage to USC (a little under 8 months after filing the forms). It lasted almost one hour, much longer than I expected. But at the end the officer was pleased and said I would be approved. Now I'm just waiting for the approval letter in the mail.

I want to thank everyone for their advise and support and if there is anything I can help anyone with, please ask.

Hello everyone!

I just had my AOS interview based on marriage to USC (a little under 8 months after filing the forms). It lasted almost one hour, much longer than I expected. But at the end the officer was pleased and said I would be approved. Now I'm just waiting for the approval letter in the mail.

I want to thank everyone for their advise and support and if there is anything I can help anyone with, please ask.

Comment

Congrats! Did you come in on K-1 or were you already living here and then married?

Comment

Came on a B1/B2, was living here when I married.

Comment

It took 8 months to get your 1st interview?? Did you marry a USC??

Also, you said you were on a B1/B2 visa - did they question your intent??

I am likely to be in your situation very shortly - your help is appreciated!!

Comment

I did marry a USC, they did not question my intent, but that doesn't mean they won't question yours, its really up to the officer who will do the interview.

My advice is have plenty of documentation that proves that you are living together as a married couple, like utility bills, insurance policies, and very important - joint bank account statement. It is very important that she changed her name to her married one.

They didn't ask me for pictures, but they might ask you. Its a very good plus if you both filed your taxes together or as married (we didn't and the guy yelled at us for not doing so which made me nervous for a little bit). They will ask you how you met, make sure you both have the same version.

Its a very good plus if you have a police report with no criminal record, a selective service system registration card... They may not ask for any of these things, but just in case, it'll look good.

And very important, tell the truth if you were working illegally, they'll understand. I did.

GOOD LUCK!!

Comment

Could you answer one more thing -

It was my understanding that once married, you have an initial interview. At that time, you are given a Green Card with Provisions. Then, in 2 years - you are reinterviewed..it is then you must prove your marriage is legitimate.

Are you saying that this was your very 1st interview or your 2nd one which allowed you to get your provision off your card??

I'm trying to understand what our timeline will look like....

Thanks once more for your help!

Comment

The 1st interview you get is to adjust status to that of conditional permanent resident, which is a green card good for 2 years. You do have to proove the legitimacy of you marriage.

This is only if you have been married for less that 2 years. If you have been married more that 2 years, your green card will be for 10 years and it is unconditional.

If you get a conditional green card you have to apply to remove the conditions by the time your card expires. My understanding is that you have to proove the legitimacy of the marriage one more time. Then, if approved, you get the conditions removed, and a 10 year green card.

Comment

Was your passport stamped? and why do you have to wait for the approval letter?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation