Wanting to immigrate for employment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antifascist1: I wasn't saying immigration law isn't complex, I was merely injecting a little humour into the discussion. I also wanted to find out as much as possible on my own before having to put out the cash to talk to a lawyer.

KMcTram: I've read that a degree is required. Here's a possible catch, I have a diploma from a college in Visual Communications/Design not a degree. I do have 3 years experience though which I believe is the equivalent.

Hudson: Right now I do work from home. A B1 visa, while it could serve it's purpose, isn't something I'm looking into. It would be better off going the TN or H-1 route.

From what I've heard by getting a TN visa it may be more difficult to change that to a H-1 down the road. Anyone heard of this?

Retro-affect: Canadians can us a TN visa to work in the US. They apply themselves and renew yearly. At this point it seems easier to get a TN visa but I'm thinking long term and an H-1 sounds better for that.

dragonlady: You said it. It seems like so much more of a gamble using an American lawyer that I can't talk to face to face.

Thank you so much for the name and phone number dragonlady. I will definitely give them a call.

Comment

Antifascist1: I wasn't saying immigration law isn't complex, I was merely injecting a little humour into the discussion.
      Very funny!

Wish you good luck,

IE

Comment

Hudson: Right now I do work from home. A B1 visa, while it could serve it's purpose, isn't something I'm looking into. It would be better off going the TN or H-1 route.

From what I've heard by getting a TN visa it may be more difficult to change that to a H-1 down the road. Anyone heard of this?
        So, I take it you want to stay in the US for at least 3 years or so? If that is the case, go for the H-1b visa. It may take longer to process, but the benefits are worth waiting for.
        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Are you white?

Comment

Hudson: Yes, I do plan on staying in the US for a long period of time. My goal is to stay there indefinitely.

I'm going to speak with the firm that dragonlady mentioned and I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Liemaster: All Canadians are white!

Comment

Canadian citizen wishing to work in US can work under TN visa which is valid for one year and extendable indefinitely in one year extension. This is however non-immigrant visa.

Second option is to get H visa which is a dual intent visa and based on employer sponsorship can lead to green card.

In both cases, however, the occupation and credentials must meet the visa requirements.

Comment

There are no Apache Canadians - The Apache did not live that far north - no Navajo, Hopi, Cheyenne, Pawnee, or various other tribes either. Not considered "brown" either. Canadians do not determine by skin colour but by ancestry - and most do not care. We do have stupid factions, of course, but most do not care. We have the French/English - East/West stuff so skin colour is not so important.

hey mstickel - I am from Edmonton!!!!(Go Oilers!!) I know Calgary well.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation