Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naturalization Certificate Stolen

A crual husband has stolen Naturlazation Certificate of his wife and return to his country with her two sons without her permissio. I have two questions:

1. How she can apply to get duplicate Naturlazation Certificate (she has a copy of her Naturlazation Certicate and her US Passport).

2. What should she do to get her two kids back from her husband who has taken them away without her permission.

This poor mother is very upset. Please help and provide your expert guidance.

Thank you and God Bless you.

A crual husband has stolen Naturlazation Certificate of his wife and return to his country with her two sons without her permissio. I have two questions:

1. How she can apply to get duplicate Naturlazation Certificate (she has a copy of her Naturlazation Certicate and her US Passport).

2. What should she do to get her two kids back from her husband who has taken them away without her permission.

This poor mother is very upset. Please help and provide your expert guidance.

Thank you and God Bless you.

Comment

Well, certificate of naturalization is not a big deal: she must prove her identity and get new one from where she got the original.
      Second issue seems to me tougher: it depends in what country did that man go.
      There is a big difference if he went to Somalia or say Canada.
      Is there a presence of US Embassy there?
      Is it in good relationships with US?
      Is that a country with functioning, independent judiciary and law enforcement or is it one of those crooked, corrupted countries where you can buy a judge or prosecutor/police for few hundred bucks?
      I assume it all matters.

In any case,not knowing anything in particular about this or similar cases,I would suggest that she contact an Attorney here in US and then try to contact US Embassy in her former husband's homecountry(or wherever he is right now) and hope to resolve the issue through US Embassy, pressuring the Government of his country to restore her the justice.
      I am not aware of governing international laws on parental custody.
      Unless she is totally broke and can't hire ANY legal council she should not seek an advice on such a serious case here.

Good luck.

Comment

Child abduction by a current or former immigrant or foreign parent is a common, but nevertheless serious thing! If the children are U.S. citizens (and since the mother obviously is, too), the U.S. government will usually handle this vigeroeusly. In ally countries such as Egypt or Israel and a few others, a small tactical unit may take care of it, but it will usually be a discreationary thing. If the country in which the children were kidnapped is hostile to U.S. citizens these measures most likely will be taken! You need to get legal actions taken care of immediataly, it's a most definitly a federal as well as international issue! I can't believe that you're putting your Stolen Naturalization Certifcate issue as the subject line to this significant problem...

Comment

You got good advices from Kudris and E on 2nd question ... just wanted to tell something that it is a crime (not allowed) to photocopy NATZ certificate .... So don't ever mention it anywhere ... just get the A # and apply for duplicate ... Good luck ...Pasha

Comment

There have been so many TV movies about fathers taking their children back to their countries. Lifetime has one or two. The American Embassy was not of much help and they did not want to be kicked out of that country. Remember they have to have an office - in most cases an Embassy for them to monitor what happens in other countries. The Ambassador in one of these movies did mention that they could not afford to be kicked out. In most cases they are not much help and these children had to be stolen back. Good luck. Try and contact the country's embassy in Washington and see if they can help.

Comment

Pasha,
              FYI, the lawyer on the ILW chat forum yesterday said that the USCIS has changed it's regulation on photocopying of Naturalization certificate. You may now copy it for ligitimate reasons (e.g. as backup copy), eventhough this new policy is not yet reflected on the certificate.

Comment

First, It's perfectly OK to copy a Naturalization Certificates nowadays.

Second, in order to issue a US Passport to children 14 years and younger, BOTH parents must give concent to the issuance of a passport.

Third, visit www.travel.state.gov for more information on child abductions cases like yours.......they have a special office set-up for these kinds of cases. Good Luck.

Comment

Unfortunately, the odds of getting your kids are stacked against you. Most countries won't allocate the resources in tracking down your husband and kids. Unless you know *exactly* where he is. In which case, a well placed call to the DOS can make the other country take him into custody.

Many parents will run to one country -- make you think they are there. Make you spend all your resources there -- but they got smart, and skipped to yet another country, where no one is searching for them. I have a few friends who had to deal with it, and it's been a uphill battle with no positive results in sight whatsoever.

-= nav =-

Comment

Hi malf and NP,

Thanks for that info... I saw NATZ certificate of my friend last month and it still writes on that you can not copy this certificate ... but as you already talked to a lawyer about it ... and NP wrote the same thing I m sure there must be changes regarding this ... thanks for that ....

About second question I agree with moondin here .... Unless you don't know the exact place / country where spouse went ... it is probably next to impossible to achieve something in this case ... what I would suggest here ... if you got contacts in that country then you can do little search on your spouse and kids on your own first and then get laws involved in it .... Wish you all the best .... God bless you ... Pasha

Comment

1. She can alway apply for duplicate from
                      she will need to complete the form N565.
                      Fee $75.00 I think.
                      2. What about the citizenship of her husband?
                      if he is US then it is not a problem, he
                      must be in his home country. Child
                      abduction is an old issue.
                      3. She will have to report this matter to the Department of State we have a section that will take care of this issue. Go to www.state.gov you will will get complete info.

I was also fsn, at saudi, where were you.

Comment

Thank you very much to every one for contibuting to this important issue. Since this is mainly immigration discussion board, therefore, I put the above subject so that it could attract more friends.

For your inoformaton:
                        She is US Citizen
                        Husband is also US Citizen
                        Both kids are US Citizen
                        Husband took kids to Pakitan
                        Wife knows where he is living
                        Wife is not financially strong to pay attorney here in US
                        Are there any free organizations who could help in this matter.

Comment

Sab34:

I was FSN in Pakitan.

Comment

hey guys ... what is FSN ?

Comment

Pasha Bhai:

Local country staff who works for U.S. Mission aborad is called FSN -- Foreign Service Nationals.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation