Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I-485 through Employment - Can I work somewhere else?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-485 through Employment - Can I work somewhere else?

Currently I am waiting on my I-485 to be approved. The service center is working on March 2002 and I applied in Aug 2002....yippee! It has been a LONG process. I have and EAD and Travel Doc. I am rec'ing conflicting information about working with another company. I have been told I can not work full time with another employer until I receive my green card. Can anyone confirm this? I would ask my lawyer but they are paid by my current employer!

Currently I am waiting on my I-485 to be approved. The service center is working on March 2002 and I applied in Aug 2002....yippee! It has been a LONG process. I have and EAD and Travel Doc. I am rec'ing conflicting information about working with another company. I have been told I can not work full time with another employer until I receive my green card. Can anyone confirm this? I would ask my lawyer but they are paid by my current employer!

Comment

Karen,
      you are correct. You can't work for anybody else.

Comment

Don't leave 'til you get the green card!

Comment

Karen:

Has you I-140 been approved?
          If so, you may be able to change jobs under the American Competitiveness Act for the 21st Century (AC-21). It basically requires that you I-140 has been approved, your AOS has been pending for more then 180 days (which is your case) and the new job is in a similar occupation.
          For more info on AC-21, take a look at:
          http://www.murthy.com/news/UDac21qa.html#7

You may also want to download the Yates Memo dated 08-04-2003 from:
          http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/h.../polpromem.htm

Finally, I suggest you consult another immigration lawyer different than the company's one.

Hope this is helpful.

Comment

I'm not sure how all of these posters are answering the OP without additional info. The answer depends on the nature of Karen's status. If she is adjusting status because of marriage to a USC then she is free to work with whatever company she chooses. If it is an employment-based adjustment then Juan's I-140 comments make sense.

We need more info.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed