Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Card Interview/ Passport expired

My husband has his passport expired. Does anyone know if this will cause a problem if he goes for his green card interview and he has an expired passport? He cannot get another one until he gets his green card and that he can't get his green card until his interview. I know he should get a conditional green card (of course if the interview is successful) because we are married for one year. We aren't married for documents (we have a baby together), so everything should be ok at the interview ...our only concern is his passport. So what we should do? Thanks for advice

My husband has his passport expired. Does anyone know if this will cause a problem if he goes for his green card interview and he has an expired passport? He cannot get another one until he gets his green card and that he can't get his green card until his interview. I know he should get a conditional green card (of course if the interview is successful) because we are married for one year. We aren't married for documents (we have a baby together), so everything should be ok at the interview ...our only concern is his passport. So what we should do? Thanks for advice

Comment

most foreign embassies and consulates in the us can reissue a passport that is close to expiring but they may be unwilling to do so if it is already expired. if your husband's other documents are in order and he is here legally he may be all right in the interview, but a call to his embassy to see about replacing the passport would be a very good idea.
      it was like that when i found it... honest!

Comment

What he also needs to bring to the consulate is the approval Letter. This way the consulate have enough proof to go by. He can go to a consulate and have it renewed. No problem. I doubt immigration will stamp his expired passport. So go get it renewed. You can have the passport back in two days.

Comment

I went for GC interview twice with expired passport and had no problems. First, when I got original conditional GC. Second was about a week ago, and it was not really an interview, just an appointment with approved I751 application to replace my conditional GC with permanent one. My passport expired almost 3 years ago. However, INS advises you not to travel with expired passport. Hope it helps.

Comment

Forgot to tell, that passport gets stamped every time with I551 stamp that is valid for a year.

Comment

Will the INS stamp a passport that has only two months remaining before expiration? Is there any requirement such as 6 months?

Separately, can a passport stamp appointment be arranged until after the expired passport is renewed?

Comment

They will stamp any passport, even if it has already expired. They don't care.

And yes, you can schedule another appointment, to stamp a new passport when you receive it.

Comment

I dont understand why cant he get an extension / new passport once the current one is expired ? apply for his / her green card...and submit the NOA...he / she is not out of the status anymore once the petition is filed and has been proceeding..... whatever... good luck...Pasha

Comment

Many consulates will not issue a new passport without a green card.
                    They don't care about NOA or whatever documents you can produce - they just want a GC, and that's it.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation