Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRIEND IN NEED

I have a friend that her boyfriend is on a student visa and visa is going to be up this year and he no longer go to school because he can't afford to attend school anymore.
    They want to get married but doesn't want her to marry him just so he can stay in this country. Does anyone know what applications they would need to process for him to stay in this country? Please only good advice.

I have a friend that her boyfriend is on a student visa and visa is going to be up this year and he no longer go to school because he can't afford to attend school anymore.
    They want to get married but doesn't want her to marry him just so he can stay in this country. Does anyone know what applications they would need to process for him to stay in this country? Please only good advice.

Comment

are you asking for the apps to process for marriage? or are you looking for some other way for him to legally stay here?

If not getting married, then he should be looking for an employer to to sponser him before he goes out of status.

Comment

I AM LOOKING FOR INFORMATION FOR HIM TO STAY WITHOUT MARRIAGE.

IS FINDING A EMPLOYER TO SPONEER HIM THE ONLY OPITION?

Comment

get the money together and try to get I-20 fixed and stay in school.

Comment

Is that the only obtain to stay in school. But what happens to him now that he's not in school.

I guess the only obtain for my friend to do is marry him so he can stay. So what applications do she have to file since he's already in the country.

Comment

What is a I-20 I can't seem to find that application on http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm
              website

Originally posted by 4now:
              get the money together and try to get I-20 fixed and stay in school.

Comment

There are basically only a few ways to be legal in this country. The major headings are

tourism, school, work, refugee, relative

the one at the left end allows for the shortest period of stay, and the ones at the right can lead to permanent residence (including work, but only in certain situations) However, only relative petition is guaranteed to confer permanent resident status.

So, your friend will pretty much need to work within these areas. One man I know is trying to obtain permanent resident status via work (he is a college professor and an amazing researcher, so he hopes to show extraordinary abilities or something like that!)

Other than that, he may want to consider the marriage option, but do two ceremonies - legal that will help him obtain residency, and a religious one that is unclouded by immigration matters.

Or he might want to consider just accepting that as long as his intentions and thoughts are pure in this respect. As long as he loves this woman and wants to spend the rest of his life with her - does it really matter if there are a couple of added benefits. The marriage would be for the marriage, he would just happen to be eligible to obtain permanent residence....

Comment

thanks for the info

do you know of the I-20 application that was previously mentioned to me.

Originally posted by Spouse:
                  There are basically only a few ways to be legal in this country. The major headings are

tourism, school, work, refugee, relative

the one at the left end allows for the shortest period of stay, and the ones at the right can lead to permanent residence (including work, but only in certain situations) However, only relative petition is guaranteed to confer permanent resident status.

So, your friend will pretty much need to work within these areas. One man I know is trying to obtain permanent resident status via work (he is a college professor and an amazing researcher, so he hopes to show extraordinary abilities or something like that!)

Other than that, he may want to consider the marriage option, but do two ceremonies - legal that will help him obtain residency, and a religious one that is unclouded by immigration matters.

Or he might want to consider just accepting that as long as his intentions and thoughts are pure in this respect. As long as he loves this woman and wants to spend the rest of his life with her - does it really matter if there are a couple of added benefits. The marriage would be for the marriage, he would just happen to be eligible to obtain permanent residence....

Comment

4now was basically just suggesting that the person in question remain a student. Perhaps apply for a graduate level degree or something.

I am not sure about what the appropriate forms are for this, but from looking at the website maybe 4now meant the I-17 - Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Student.

But I am sure that the school that he would attend would be helpful in that regard.

Comment

Dcherrie

I-20 is a certificate of eligibility for the F1 visa (student visa) without a valid I-20 there cannot be a current f-1 status. check the uscis website for info.

It sounds like these two people do not really want to get married, or this would not be an issue. Your friends will only suffer heartache if he and she are not sure of this very important life decision.

How long has this person been a student? Did they not apply to get work permit to help financial blah blah. they need to figure out how to get the money to keep him in school to remain in status, get employer or get married.

or follow the rules & return to his country until he has the financial means again to seek valid student visa. He cant just stay here now like the old days. We have SEVIS in place.

Comment

4now is right, he can't stay here anymore if you're out of status because they're going to come pick him up and deport him, now the I-20 is not an application that you could get from USCIS website, when an international student apply to go to school in the US, he or she has to file applications to show his academic history and to demonstrate that they have the financial means to pay for school and living expenses, after approval, THE SCHOOL issues an I-20 which is used to apply for a student visa and for immigration duration of status as well as the student counselor signature of studies completed. You said that he already dropped out of school hence he's automotically out of status, the best way to stay in the country is through marrying a US citizen but only if the marriage is bona fide because Immigration is really careful now about who's married just for immigration benefits and people who are legitimately married. HOW you doing 4 now long time no talk.

Comment

Hi Jc

Im good. how bout your self. Was reading your updates and I am glad everything is working out well 4u. just keep us posted as you have been. Take care

Comment

Thanks everyone for your info

My friends really do love each other and they want to get married but he doesn't want her to look at there marriage as he just married her to be legal in this country. He is from the old school in some ways and marriage to him is a very special thing.

Comment

I'm great 4now, everything is going fine so far, i got my EAD and social last week, and i'm going to be fingerprinted on the 16th of june, i guess they're pretty fast in WA, take care.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation