Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Fill out forms?

This was posted on another topic started by jsb called: "marriage to usc, ins may overlook overstay?" I'm reposting because I need to find out the answers to my later questions, most importantly, what is my current INS status?

Bare with me, I'm new to this forum.
    I just wanted to explain my situation and make sure, that it's very similar to jsb's and that malf's post still applies.
    I applied for K-1 Visa, as a Canadian citizen wishing to marry a USC and was given it on May 27, 2003. I entered the US, from Canada, on May 29, 2003, got married June 21, 2003 and haven't filed for status adjustment yet because neither I nor my husband were told there was a date we had to file by so we were not in any hurry. I recently learned (as of last night) that I was suppose to file for adjustment 90days either from my entry or my marriage (I don't remember which). Also my I-94 didn't have a date on it as to when my employment authorization expired, only a k-1 class expiration date and so I ended up working until mid september. I haven't worked since for a unrelated issue. Am I right to believe I was only authorized until Aug 29?

My husband and I are trying to get our paperwork together quickly to file already hoping there won't be any disipline or delay because of filing so late. Is my chance for conditional status still good, or should we expect to have to jump through hoops and dodge acuasations because of being misinformed? I know being honest is usually the best way to go, and so I have a couple more questions about the actual forms that need filling out. On Form I-485 what should I put as my "Current INS Status" and what is my "Expires On" date really? Also, on the G-325A (Biographic information) it askes for my employment from the last 5 years? I should be honest, correct? Because I will be asked later on why and I will be allowed to explain myself as being uninformed and making a mistake? Also, back in Feb, 2003, my husband was given a "Notice of Action" that said the petition for K-1 had been approved and it included a number above my name that begins with A followed by 8 numbers. That is my alien registration number, correct? Or is it the 8 numbered red series on my K-1 Visa?
    Sorry for all the questions, but sometimes I find that not everyone at the INS (or BCIS) office is so friendly as to answer my questions without annoyance and so I thought I'd give this a shot first.

This was posted on another topic started by jsb called: "marriage to usc, ins may overlook overstay?" I'm reposting because I need to find out the answers to my later questions, most importantly, what is my current INS status?

Bare with me, I'm new to this forum.
    I just wanted to explain my situation and make sure, that it's very similar to jsb's and that malf's post still applies.
    I applied for K-1 Visa, as a Canadian citizen wishing to marry a USC and was given it on May 27, 2003. I entered the US, from Canada, on May 29, 2003, got married June 21, 2003 and haven't filed for status adjustment yet because neither I nor my husband were told there was a date we had to file by so we were not in any hurry. I recently learned (as of last night) that I was suppose to file for adjustment 90days either from my entry or my marriage (I don't remember which). Also my I-94 didn't have a date on it as to when my employment authorization expired, only a k-1 class expiration date and so I ended up working until mid september. I haven't worked since for a unrelated issue. Am I right to believe I was only authorized until Aug 29?

My husband and I are trying to get our paperwork together quickly to file already hoping there won't be any disipline or delay because of filing so late. Is my chance for conditional status still good, or should we expect to have to jump through hoops and dodge acuasations because of being misinformed? I know being honest is usually the best way to go, and so I have a couple more questions about the actual forms that need filling out. On Form I-485 what should I put as my "Current INS Status" and what is my "Expires On" date really? Also, on the G-325A (Biographic information) it askes for my employment from the last 5 years? I should be honest, correct? Because I will be asked later on why and I will be allowed to explain myself as being uninformed and making a mistake? Also, back in Feb, 2003, my husband was given a "Notice of Action" that said the petition for K-1 had been approved and it included a number above my name that begins with A followed by 8 numbers. That is my alien registration number, correct? Or is it the 8 numbered red series on my K-1 Visa?
    Sorry for all the questions, but sometimes I find that not everyone at the INS (or BCIS) office is so friendly as to answer my questions without annoyance and so I thought I'd give this a shot first.

Comment

I hope you'll get some responses from someone that knows and/or has been through the process. The lawyer chat on Tues and Thurs is helpful also. The link for that is on the left. I doubt you could ask ALL your questions at once but you should get a good start. Good luck.

Comment

Hi,
        Since you don't seem to be getting response to your questions here you might want to try posting on immigrate2us.net if you haven't already.

Comment

The 90 days of the K-1 visa are for GETTNG MARRIED, not for Adjust your status. In theory, you dont have to AOS beacuse the couple may decide to live somewhere else. That is whay an immigration officer told me when I call INS regarding my elegibility on Advance Parole. I havent seen any oficial document that states you have to AOS within the 90 days.

I came here with the K-1 visa and married within the 90 days. I filed for AOS on day 120 aprox. There is no fine for "delayed" application.

Now, the I-94 doesnt mention the how long the authorization employment lasts. That is not its purpose. You know until when you are allowed to work because it says so on your EAD. If you didnt have an EAD you were not authorized to work and dont say you didnt know that (I dont beleive it and the INS officer wont either). The excuse of "I was misinformed" is lame. So if you work ilegally, I dont know what is the best way to fill you Biographic Information form.

The alien number is the A number (the one in the approved fiance petition).

Comment

Another imm. discussion board: http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/

Comment

Cayita
              Actually I DIDN'T know because I asked about working when I was at the boarder getting my I-94 when I entered and was given the stamp: WORK AUTHORIZED on the back of my I-94 and was told "Ok you can work now" so I thought I could work! If I can't trust the words of the immigration officer at the port of entry.. who am I suppose to believe?

Comment

If it said work authorized then what is the problem with the fact that you have worked?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation